motivation

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by usfmeghi, Sep 24, 2006.

1. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Sep 24, 2006

Does anyone have any idea on how to make literature more interesting, especially for a kid who comes in to class the first day and says he hates English class.

We read aloud. discuss, draw settings, end of the unit, we are drawing a map

(currently reading most dangerous game)

I would love to do a socratic seminar, but am currewnytly truying to get my students to read outside of class.

3. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

There are some kids who have decided they "hate" to read or "hate" English and are not going to change their minds. I have a rather gifted student that is like that. Everyday he asks if he can do the assignment at home or do something for another class. He does his work... but he doesn't want to be in English class and he says it EVERYDAY.

However, it seems that you are trying to make a difference. I work in an area where literacy is not very high on the list of priorities and most kids came in saying "I hate English". After they learned that I'm not the average English teacher, they stopped saying it. I do debates, art projects, hands-on projects.... anything to get them interested and it has worked. I have students who have failed English 9 several times who now say its their favorite class. Unfortunately, most kids think they are stifled in English and that its the boring class where you sit, read and write in nearly complete silence. It seems like you are trying to break the stereo-type, too. You'll get results from a majority of your students but there will always be a few hold-outs.

4. lisap

lisap Companion

Sep 24, 2006

I've done the Most Dangerous Game and did a focus on strategy. I have them keep a log of the different strategies used by each character. Then when we finish we play a strategy board game. I've used Risk where they can play in teams. When they've finished, they need to identify the strategies they used in their game and I usually have them write a short paper on it.

5. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

english9teach, I have a situation very similar to yours... a boy in my regular English class who's been identified as G/T in English, but comes in and sits in the back and hardly participates - sometimes forgets his assignments/supplies or isn't with the rest of the class when I call on him. Today he says "can't I test out of this class, I learned all this stuff last year." I guess he is bored, and I can tell he could do very high-quality work if he wanted to, but at the moment he's not showing really great work to me. I told him he could try to get into the Honors course at semester if he wanted, and he goes "I don't want to be in Honors," so I guess he wants to test up into the next year/grade level of English. I don't think that's possible at our school! So anyway, any suggestions? What have you done with that boy in your class, anything to interest him?
    Sorry to hijack the thread, your comment just caught my eye! I guess this is sort of along the lines of the original poster... this new teacher always can use more suggestions to make English as interesting as possible!

6. ?!?!

?!?! New Member

Sep 25, 2006

I have the same question, My students seem to HATE literature no matter what I do. I'm sure I can try something else, but what? How can I add more interest, excitement to my classes?

7. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

Don't worry... I'm a new teacher too. As far as the bored, gifted kid goes, I haven't had much success. Today I introduced my poetry unit by having them analyze some music. The rest of my class ate it up but he said "I'd just rather copy definitions. This is boring..." :eek: Don't ask me, I don't understand it. I finally ended up telling him that he is not special and is required to do classwork like everyone else in order to pass.

8. Docere

Docere Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

Perhaps you could explain why we study literature at all. I had a very dull English teacher for two years in high school who explained why we studied literature once. It was the only time I was interested in her class. Kids don't believe they will ever need to know what they're teaching you. Try to give them a reason to. Literature and books are all ideas people have come up with throughout the years. Literature is like a conversation of humanity. Let them know that it's just not about remembering texts written hundreds of years ago.

And try to explain to them what's going on as you read something. Put things in words so that they understand where the author and the characters were coming from in the book.

Sometimes kids just dislike subjects and there's nothing you can do about it. But you can at least try to change their mind and push them to do their best.

9. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Sep 27, 2006

With the G&T kids especially (but it works with most kids) you can get them to set the assignment. We do a lot of Bloom's Taxonomy type projects - 3 set activities for each level plus the option of free choice. Kids complete one activity for each level, giving them free rein to try new things if they are so inclined. You do need to explicitly state your aims (ie "You need to show that you have learned/understood that ....) so the kids know why they are doing such activities - helps parents understand too.

We also subscribe to the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything" theory. Therefore, kids can't whinge they don't like a subject/activity/person/ME! but we reserve their right not to have to wax lyrical about why those things are great, too. I think whinges are contagious, so don't allow them. :)

10. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Sep 27, 2006

I go way off the deep end to get my students engaged. One thing I do: I come into class dressed as characters from the stories we are reading and let the kids "interview" me as if I were that character. They love it and it really gets them into the story. I haven't met a student yet who doesn't get "sucked in."

11. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

What grade do you teach? I'm wondering if this would work for 9th graders.

12. stbteacher

stbteacher Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

hey guys, i'm new here. I'm a junior in college going for my BA in Secondary English Education. I was wondering what made you all want to become a teacher?