Motivation ideas for my grade level team

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by skittleroo, Jul 19, 2011.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Long story short: i am lead teacher for my grade level. I am surrounded by 2 vet teachers who dont want to teach kinder, a teacher that really struggles, n another thats a good teacher but is new to kinder.

What things can i do to motivate my team to work together, do our best, n come to planning time prepared??

Thanks for your ideas

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

I would keep everything as organized and simple as possible. Teachers do not like to waste time. If you have teachers who are already negative about a situation its not so much the motivation that will matter, more the structure of what you are doing.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

Have an agenda. Do as much of the busy work as you can outside of the meeting. Delegate. End on a positive note. Laugh a lot. Do not call meetings at the last minute. They should be at a regular time without fail. I agree with Bob, so think about the new teacher and the one that struggles. You may want to meet with just them on a separate day as well as the one day a week in which you all work together.

Personally, I plan on doing the busy work as much as I can on my own. I just find it easier to do certain things quickly than having a "committee" do them.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Well we are required to stay late and plan twice a week on top of tutoring so motivation is a key here. Being a teacher myself i totally understand not wanting to waste time. But we have to meet regardless. Im looking for ways to motivate unmotivated teachers (in general - not just for planning) n ways to make meetings more enjoyable while staying productive

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Yes i use an agenda and it helps but i feel like a babysitter .our meetings are the same days times each week (school wide). At least one of the other teachers is really good but hates teaching kinder so... I do all the busy work myself.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

Making them more enjoyable while staying productive, can't help you there. I think its one or the other. When we meet because we just want to hang out, talk, and vent. Those are enjoyable meetings. When we meet because we have to, not as much. Thats just the way it is.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Since it's afterschool, what about rotating who brings a snack or treat?

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

I have thought about that. I just dont want to put more on anyone. Maybe we could do that once a month or so - that would be nice. We did that once n it ws great!