Motivation for the BIG test!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Apr 8, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Apr 8, 2009

I am thinking that next week when the kids come in to take the BIG test I want to do something fun.
    I am going to have the music to the UNC Tar Heel Fight Song on so they can come in feeling like 2009 champions.
    I am going to send a letter for parents to write to their kids, giving the support and encouragement. They will read these letters on the first day of the test.
    I am going to have them write on a placemat, "I am smart, I am super, etc..."
    Any other fabulous ideas?

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 8, 2009

oooh! I wonder if I can ask my parents to write me that about now so I can get through my day teaching! :-D

They have a big breakfast at my school when the teachers serve the students.

They keep mints on their desks. You could label the cup "brain mints" etc.

gosh, I don't know! Your ideas are awesome! When my husband applied for a job, I made him a motivational cd to listen to while on his way, and put post-it notes on the mirror with phrases like, "You can do it!", "They need YOU!" etc.

It sounds like you are doing the same thing.

Could you dress up like something? Or tell them after they finish each part you will add to a funny costume and it will be completed after the last test?Or would that be distracting?

My school has shirts that the kids wear during the test days.

Oh good luck!!!!!! :)

4. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 9, 2009

I toyed with the idea of dressing up like a cheerleader their first day. But I chickened out! :p

I think next year I'll at least wear a t-shirt I make for them showing them my support.

I love the idea about parents writing letters!

5. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 9, 2009

For my fifth-graders, I usually do a "jazz breakfast" where I buy a bunch of bagels and play Louis Armstrong. At least I know they've had breakfast, because many of them skip it regularly. The jazz makes it a bit festive, but is kind of calming at the same time. It definitely puts ME in a good mood!

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

Have the K or 1st grade students do a test cheer for the older kids! I saw a video of this once and it was adorable!

8. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 9, 2009

Oh, we did something similar to this one year! We had testing buddies. Each younger buddy made an encouraging poster for the older buddy, and I hung them in the classroom. They also made us snacks and little treats for after testing. They were second graders, so it helped prepare them for what they could expect in third grade, too.

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Apr 9, 2009

I love your creative ideas! all we do is listen to the principal encourage the students to do well so our school can look good and she can get a bonus.

10. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

I am so excited, that's going to be fabulous!!!