Motivating upper primary students to read

Discussion in 'General Education' started by letsteach, Oct 11, 2021.

1. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Oct 11, 2021

Our school provides home readers for students to read at their independent reading level which every student is meant to take home. I was shocked to hear a colleague say that she has not given her class home readers for 2 terms as they read in class. A lot of our students are below standard when it comes to reading, comprehension and writing. According to her, the students don't like home reading and won't do it. They will take the books home and bring them back unread so why bother sending them home!
    What strategies and ideas can you share? I believe this teacher needs to think about changing the negative attitude her students have towards home reading. Love to hear your ideas.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 11, 2021

Great question! Not an easy task, but one I have worked on a lot when I taught the middle grades. Here are my top 4.

1. Show them that books are interesting, by reading to them. Think of movie trailers. They work. If you read a high interest story or even part of one, they will want to read more.

2. Have them learn to read a book, so they can read to a younger grade. They really get into this. If no younger grade is available on campus, see if you can record it and send it to a younger grade class--such as to my 3rd graders.

3. Choose really interesting books to read at home. My junior high students hated reading until we read "The Outsiders". It really changed their attitude toward reading.

4. Give them lots of choices in what they read.

Good luck to you!

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Oct 11, 2021

Do an interest survey, then break the kids into groups based on what interests they chose. You now have "book clubs" that can either meet during class or rotate through having lunch with teacher to discuss and complete tasks related to the book.
    Depending on age/maturity, they can choose between several books you pick out and set their own reading schedule. If the discussions are fun, no kid wants to be the one left out because they didn't make it through what they were supposed to read.

readingrules12 likes this.
  5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 12, 2021

These suggestions are outstanding! One thing that ties them together is that you don't need to send home a leveled reader. You'll do better by getting them interested in a book or genre and letting them choose.

I have our librarian pull 30 high interest books each week to place on a cart. During Sustained Silent Reading, if a student finds a favorite, I let that person out early to take it to the library and check it out for home reading.

Be sure to ramp up parent interest in the at-home reading program.

readingrules12 likes this.