Motivating Test Takers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lehcar1021, May 23, 2007.

1. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

May 23, 2007

My first grade class has "adopted" a 4th grade class for the last 2 weeks of school. Our 3-5 students have to take the End of Grade (EOG) tests. Due to the population we serve, our school makes a HUGE deal about the EOG. My first graders are doing all we can to cheer on/support this fourth grade class. We have made cards, invited them to lunch with us and made a dessert for them, made posters and sent notes to them. I am looking for MORE ideas to get us through next week. My students want to read a book to them and also I was thinking about doing little "good luck" bags with things like pencils, SMARTies... can't think of anything else cute that we can do to wish them good luck and support them. Any ideas? Thanks!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 23, 2007

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but...

What a great idea!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 23, 2007

We always tell the kids how the test makers try to trick them (ex. questions say all of the answers are true except) You could talk to the kids about trickster stories like The Gingerbread Man and have your kids do a readers theatre to it.

Teach your kids a simple cheer/chant to recite
    We are the (mascot)
    We are the best
    We are the (mascot)
    And we'll beat the test