Motivating At-Risk Students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by opportunity, Apr 15, 2009.

1. opportunity

opportunity New Member

Apr 15, 2009

Having trouble motivating my at-risk students. Anyone have any ideas or have something that has worked for them?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2009

Welcome to the boards! What subject/grade levels do you teach?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2009

I have a little book called Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators by Allen N. Mendler. It might be a good starting point for you.

5. BioTeal

BioTeal Rookie

Apr 15, 2009

I'm reading a 2008 book titled "Lost at School: why our kids with behavioral challenges are falling through the cracks and how we can help them" by Ross Greene. I've seen several strong recommendations for it, but I'm not far enough in to have reached a verdict myself. It does seem potentially topical for your question, however.

6. Blaster

Blaster Rookie

Apr 15, 2009

I give out Reward Tickets. I give them for the positive things the students do. They sign their name to the ticket and it goes in a bag. I draw out names and give them candy. They seem to love and the winner draws another name. It works for me.

7. opportunity

opportunity New Member

Apr 16, 2009

thanks

8. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 17, 2009

Remote controlled shock collars. You can get them from the dog training catalogs. ;)

9. GeorgiaSPED

GeorgiaSPED Rookie

May 3, 2009

Muttling that made me laugh....

I work with those seemingly less motivated students quite a bit, and found that attempting to get to know the student helps. This is a long road...no easy fix to this situation anyway....but I have several students who 4yrs ago were obnoxious freshman who did everything they could to drive me crazy. While that was a long long year, now they are much more mature, and will attempt any assignment I ask them to attempt. Some of the students will graduate this year, and others needed an extra year to realize that wow I do need to pass these classes. :)

Overall, as silly as this seems I prefer to work with these students to the honors or AP group.

10. American

American Rookie

May 4, 2009

Hypocrat Administrators

I had a colleague teacher who complained about students behavior all the years he worked as a teacher and took teachers' side. The same person after became administrator he changed the sides and took students side complaining that teachers are not well motivated.
    Is it not shame on him?

11. GeorgiaSPED

GeorgiaSPED Rookie

May 5, 2009

As an administrator I would think he should not be "siding" with anyone, but trying to settle situations in a way that does not undermine the teacher, while building relationships with the students. Our two discipline AP's do a fairly good job of balancing this situation. (which now that you mention that type of problem I am appreciate even more). I would imagine in regards to that type of person, it would irritate me. My school system rarely places new administrators in the school they were teaching.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 5, 2009

On a more serious note.....Being at the secondary level and teaching math...

I push the "I hope you really enjoy math, because you're going to be doing it again next year at this rate."

I try to drive home the fact that failing Algebra I means you'll be stuck with 2 semesters of Algebra I next year in addition to Geometry. You can write off those electives you were wanting to take.

At the Algebra II level, I tell them that they will most likely be getting Ms. ____ (insert the name of the math teacher they hate the most) next year as she's getting most of the Algebra II classes next year.

In short, you can work in my class NOW or you can have the joys of another round of math next year.

It doesn't work for all of them, but does get several to wake up and smell the consequences.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 5, 2009

I teach at an alternative school, so we technically have a 100% at risk population.

The single biggest factor in improving their attitudes and performance in school has been building a meaningful and appropriate relationship with the teacher.

It takes awhile to break through the "us vs. them" attitude that so many of them have, but once they know that you sincerely care about them and their problems, and once you establish firm boundaries but still show compassion, they'll move mountains for you.