Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2010

Now normally I don't get seasick & I've nev gotten carsick or airsick, but today I went on a day trip w/ a tour grp on a bus to Lk Arrowhead & that bus was constantly winding uphill for over an hr & I was queasy! I was on the verge of throwing up, but I held it together somehow.

Who else gets motion sickness occasionally (or regularly)?

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 18, 2010

I get motion sickness on any ride that spins. The fastest I can go is the merry-go-round speed! I guess I have been one of the lucky ones.

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 18, 2010

I never get airsick or seasick, but I get carsick all the time. It's been that way since I was little. Normally, it happens on long car rides when I'm looking out the side window or down (like if I'm reading a book), but if I'm not careful, it can happen in town, too.

It's not fun :(

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

I get carsick. I can't even ride in a back seat. A bus is a little different because it's more open, but I still make sure I am toward the front. I have never flown without dramamine so I am not sure about airsickness. I don't get sick on boats usually, but the dizziness afterwards can affect me for days if the water is rocky. I remember taking a whale watching tour where we were on the water for several hours. It was so fun and I felt fine, but when we got off the boat, the ground was still moving to me, and it kept moving for the next three days.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2010

I can't remember the last time I've felt so miserable. Yesterday was truly horrendous on the way back, it's a good thing I felt fine spending the day up there.

7. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 19, 2010

I've been prone to car sickness since I was a baby. I can't read in the car or anything - I can hardly look down at a map long enough to figure out where to go without feeling nauseous.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

I'm fine on boats.

But those roundy-roundy rides at an amusement park?? I can't even watch the kids ride!

And I can't read in a car, though I'm fine on a plane.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2010

I've always been prone to motion sickness.

Unless I'm driving, I need to take medicine if the road is even the least bit curvy.

I can't even go to the movies without taking medicine. I used to dread doing research in college because I got sick in the library every time I had to use the microfilm/microfiche machines. (I was in college in the pre-computer days.)

I do OK online, but I know how to keep myself from getting sick. I can't watch someone else online, though. It does make me sick.

I always carry meclizine with me.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

I have a lot of issues with motion sickness. My doctor recently sent me to an ENT and I am now scheduled for an MRI and a 2-hour battery of inner ear tests. Can't wait. Ha.

Ima Teacher - does meclizine work?

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2010

It works great for me. I like meclizine because it doesn't make me sleepy like dimenhydrinate does.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 20, 2010

I am putting it on my shopping list! I can have issues if I even turn around too fast.
    Thanks.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 20, 2010

I never get motion sick despite having horrendous balance

However, being on a boat for more than an hour will make it virtually impossible for me to walk, as I have no sense of balance due to all of the moving of the water

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

I get queasy in the backseat. If I am in the front seat I can read, work on my lap-top, etc. I just have to be able to see clearly through the windshield. I do get carsick/queasy when the windshield gets really dirty/obstructed with rain snow, etc. Weird, I know. :eek:

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

In the past 5 years or so, my motion sickness has gotten worse. I never could read in the car without feeling sick, but now it's been bothering me when just riding in cars, buses, etc. I've also had to take quite a few flights on little planes, which are not at all fun. The worst was when I flew from Milwaukee to Indianapolis on a plane with like 12 seats to interview at a school, and we went through a storm...

Last spring, I was sitting on a new piece of playground equipment which is like a long balance beam that is bent in three places, so the sections move up and down. The kids started bouncing on it, and I lasted maybe a minute before I had to get off.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 22, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness#Treatment

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

Oh, yes, those are all tips I have used! (except for the gum-chewing--I cannot stand gum!) I'm usually fine if I take Dramamine before (for things like buses and planes), but I don't always remember to. I'm especially thankful for their "less-drowsy" formula. :)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2010

amakaye, sorry to hear it's gotten worse.
    bros, yes, good tips.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 31, 2011

Many of us are going to be on long driving trips now that it's summertime. What OTC meds can one take right before a car/bus trip to eliminate the sickness?

BTW, since my Lk Arrowhead bus trip last Aug, I went on a bus trip to Reno, NV for Thanksgiving & I wasn't so lucky w/ not throwing up. :( The entire ride going up was just miserable!

I don't know what's happened. I never used to get sick on buses ever before until last yr! Car trips don't bother me.

20. bros

bros Phenom

May 31, 2011

Try dramamine?

Perhaps go to a ENT to make sure there is nothing wrong with your ears?

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 31, 2011

Thank you bros!

22. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

do the seabands help like for when someone is prone to sea sickness?

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2011

I can get sick on the Merry go Round. It's horrible! I can't read in the car (and have to sit up front on long trips). I've been on boats in the Gulf and they haven't bothered me. But what's really weird, to me, is that I don't get airsick. I can read, do puzzles, etc. Now, I do keep children's dramamine with me in case of turbulence, but even with that it doesn't usually get too bad. (I have to take the children's because I couldn't function with the adult strength!) I did take the children's when I took my niece and nephew to 6 Flags. I was able to ride a few of the rides including the helicopter simulator. I even can get sick playing games. A friend has a Harry Potter video game and I got sick on the flying part. :unsure:

My pharmacist (who has been my pharmacist all my life) refused to let me by the patches. He said he saw way too many side effects with them. I did use the bands on a flight to California. I didn't get airsick, but I don't often so, I don't know if I can say they worked or not! lol