Mother's Wedding Gown

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AMK, Jun 26, 2009.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 26, 2009

So I am cleaning out my house. I have my mom's wedding gown. I feel awful about throwing it away but I know I won't need it since I just bought my own dress.
    Any suggestions with what I can do it with it.

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

Well, I know that none of my own daughters are gonna want to wear my gown. I wanted my own when I got married, and I know that they'll want their own, too. So, when my first daughter was born, we used the fabric from the train of my dress (and some of the skirt) to make a very long christening gown. My mom is a seamstress, and it turned out beautifully. As a surpise for me, she took some of the lace off of her own dress and used that in the design, too. All of my daughters wore this dress for their baptism, and then we saved it so that all of THEIR children can use it, if they choose. I feel that this way, it's a part of all of ours lives, but I'm not putting an expectation on them to wear my dress at their own weddings. And, those two dresses were part of the original unions that created our family....so having a baby wear them at a religious sacrament was just very meaningful to me.
    Kim

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

I know how you feel, AMK - it was my mother's dream that I wear her dress. Unfortunately, despite being preserved, it did not age well. The lace is brown and the dress itself is yellow.

I bought a very simple dress and I'm planning to remove the seed pearls from her dress and use them on mine. Her veil survived and I'll wear that.

If you can't incorporate any part of her dress - and it's in good condition - you could consider donating it to the Goodwill.

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

I love Kim's idea about the christening gown and chebruttas about incorporating into your own. What I had planned to do, but have yet to find a person I trust is to have mine made into a small quilt or receiving blanket. I really wanted to do this for my own girls, but we got pregnant right after the honeymoon and I didn't have time. So now my plan is to have 2 made so my girls can use them when the have their own.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2009

I would make a keepsake out of it. Something. Anything. We have a local person who takes old clothing from a person who has passed on to make these beautiful stuffed bears. I think one out of a wedding dress could look just beautiful.

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

What a great idea--I love the idea of the stuffed bears. I know my girls would love one of something from their granny.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 26, 2009

When I went to the bridal show before I got married they had beautiful quilts made out of bridal gowns - they are great in crib size if you want to pass them down in the family but they are also beautiful as wall hangings and you could have more than one made if you have any siblings. Here is one site I found for an example: http://www.quiltsbycindy.com/weddingdress.htm

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jun 26, 2009

These are great ideas...

I don't know about your area or your dresses age...but we donated my mom's dress to the historical society in the town she was born and married in. The head piece was worn at my wedding- and will probably be worn by my daughter--- and MAYBE my niece.

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

I really like the quilt idea! That is so neat!

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

gosh; I love everyone's ideas!!! I know that my daughter is not going to want to wear my dress either. So, I need to consider having something special made with my dress.

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 26, 2009

The quilt is beautiful! I know neither of my daughters will want to wear my dress. I would love to have it made into a quilt.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 26, 2009

If the dress is still wearable, how about donating it to a deserving couple? I gave my dress to a migrant farm worker couple who were getting married in my church. The bride was elated with it. She was able to have a "fair tale" wedding, that she would have never been able to afford otherwise because of the generosity of not just me, but many people from the church.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

Wedding Gowns???

Wedding gowns???…. Normally ladies this is not the kind of thread I would participate in. But I have something to say.

When we got married 25 years ago my wife wore her mother’s wedding gown. She looked absolutely beautiful. I’m looking at her picture in that gown as I type.

Now 25 years later she is more beautiful than ever, an absolute knockout in her mid 40’s. :love::love:(Yes she's about 20 years younger than me..:p)

There I’ve said it………. And I hope none of my gunnie friends from the gunnie forums ever read AtoZ……:lol::lol:

Major.......:)

15. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jun 28, 2009

You can make the ring bearer's pillow out of the gown and it will become part of the ceremony. I also like the stuffed bear idea. But, I know it must be hard deciding what to do with something I am sure is so important to you.

16. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 28, 2009

Major, that is so special....sounds like your wife is a lucky gal, too! :angel:

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2009

Only one of the many reasons I'm proud to "know" you Major!

18. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

I took the lace from my mom's veil and wrapped it around my bouquet. Maybe you could turn it into a bible cover or something else..