Mother's Day

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by AMK, Apr 12, 2005.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 12, 2005

Mother's Day is just around the corner and could use some new fresh ideas. We are going to planting seeds and growing flowers but I dont want to do the things I have done in the past. I have a lot of children who I taught their older brother/sister.

3. Maddi

Maddi Rookie

Apr 12, 2005

What about
    "My Mother Is Great Because.." books.
    Mothers Day coupons (good for hugs, kisses, chores, etc..)
    Mothers Day Crowns (made with paper and glitter)
    Book marks decorated by the child with a picture of the child on it.
    Use popcycle sticks to create and glue a square (works best if you use three for each side), place beads on the square to decorate and put childs picture inside.
    Just a few ideas, hope they help.

4. iRiShTeAcHeRfL

iRiShTeAcHeRfL Rookie

Apr 12, 2005

We are taking tote bags ordered out of Oriental Trading and putting the kids handprints on them with their names and "I Love You Mom!" (using paint and fabric markers).

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 12, 2005

We went to Wal-Mart and were looking around the craft area... mine has a variety of plastic "stained glass" designs (mostly butterflies, flowers, dolphins, etc... but also FIRE TRUCKS!!!) for 48 cents each... the kids each chose 2 designs, and we got a bag of brushes and a couple of kits of glitter paint... under $10 for the whole thing, for 10 kids and 20 designs... we didn't intend them for Mother's Day, but we might use them as such... ;)

Not incredibly original, but different.

Baby food jars covered in tissue paper make cool candles or flower pots.

Another cute picture frame idea is to cover the popsicle sticks with puzzle pieces... use pieces from all those puzzles you can't complete because they're missing a few pieces (or go to the thrift store or dollar store!).

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2005

This is what we are making(5 year olds)...Card...Paint their fingers and half of their palms yellow.Fold white construction paper in half,print their "sunshine" handprint in the upper right corner, with the fingers pointing down as rays of sunshine. Then make the flower on the bottom of the card...paint their fingers any color they want for the petals and paint one green for the stem. Write saying inside and child signs name inside.
    Along with the card, we are making a flower arrangement...using tissue paper and little clay pots.
    A cute idea for the clay pots is to buy the foam flowers and glue them onto popcicle sticks(painted green) ... add some moss around the stems.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 12, 2005

Great ideas, thanks girls:)

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 12, 2005

I think I'm going to Dollar Tree, buying the travel coffee mugs where you can insert photographs, and either inserting digital printouts from the year or letting the kids do some art. Or maybe we're going to make plates, as my mother had one of those kits sent to me and the cost is fairly low ($4 a plate I think). But I only have 6 kids so I can easily pay out-of-pocket or out-of-budget.

Ellen

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 13, 2005

We are making teapot cards. The outside of the card is shaped like a teapot, and in the inside their is a teabag attatched. We will add a cute little poem that is something like:
    Mom I want to wish you a Happy Mother's Day
    And I want to do it in a very special way
    And when I do something that makes you mad at me
    Relax, and have a cup of tea.
    Guess where I got this one. From my mother's keepsake drawer. My brother made it for her years ago.

10. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2005

I have painted my daughter's foot, pressed it onto heavy paper, cut it out and attached a strip of green constr. paper, to make a flower. I painted her fingers green and pressed them onto a sentence strip to be grass.
    I used this idea to make a calendar display, but I'm considering making a picture out of it by gluing the 'flower' to a large sheet of constr. paper.
    Hopefully it'll bowl her grandmas over!!
    LOL. I should let her 18 year old, 15 EEE brother make one, too!

11. gigi

gigi Groupie

Apr 30, 2005

Here is a cute certificate idea: Mother’s Day Certificate: Make a Mother’s Day Certificate for each student by using a graphics program or clip art. On a white piece of cardstock in the landscape form, center and write "Happy Mother's Day 2005". Place an appropriate piece of clipart on each side of the title for decoration.

On the left side of the page type the following text to be completed by the student:
    My mom is the most wonderful mom in the world! Her name is _______. She’s pretty as a ______. She is _____ years old. She has _______ eyes and _______hair. She weighs ______ pounds and is ______ tall. Her favorite food is _______. In the good old days when she was little, she used to ______. I think Mom is funny when she ______. But I know
    she's really angry when _______. I wouldn't trade my Mom for _______. I love my Mom because _______.
    Have the children fill in the blanks, sign it Happy Mother's Day Mom - Love,

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 30, 2005

We (the teacher next door and I) had our students plant plants in cups 4 weeks ago. We are having them paint small pots and re-plant the plant for their mothers.

13. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Apr 30, 2005

We create a packet for the moms. Inside the packet are several things. One is the teapot idea previously mentioned. Another is a short poem with the child's portrait of his/her mother. Last is an interview we conduct with each student about his/her mom. It contains the following fill-in-the-blanks:

My Mother​

My mother has ___________________eyes and ____________________ hair.

My mother likes to ______________________________________________.

My mother is prettiest when _______________________________________.

My mother is funniest when ________________________________________.

My favorite thing for her to cook is __________________________________.

I don’t like it when she cooks _______________________________________.

She likes for me to help her _______________________________________.

When I am nice, she _____________________________________________.

When I am naughty, she __________________________________________.

I love my mother very much and I know she loves me, too.

Name ______________________________

I have it in PDF format. If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll email it to ya.

For the gift, we buy plain while tiles at Home Depot. They range anywhere from $12 - $20 for a box of 24. The children decorate them with permanent markers, making a pretty "Spring" scene. After they are decorated, we spray them with the clear acrylic spray, so that they will last. On the bottom, you can either glue marbles or add self-sticking pads to lift it up a bit and to keep it from scratching the countertops. It can then be given to mom and used as a trivet. They last FOREVER! :)

14. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 30, 2005

I would love a copy of that interview form. I'll PM you my email address.