Mother's Day

Discussion in 'Mother's Day Archives' started by sunset, Apr 15, 2004.

1. sunset

sunset New Member

Apr 15, 2004

I'm looking for new ideas for Mother's day gifts for pre-k. I'd like something that the children can do all or most of by themselves.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Apr 15, 2004

how about the children do handprints on a piece of paper, and then you add a little poem about fingerprints, laminate and there is your gift. The parents of my class last year loved it!
    here is the poem i used.

FINGERPRINTS.

Sometimes you get discouraged,
    because I am so small
    And leave my little fingerprints
    On furniture and walls.
    But everyday I'm growing
    And soon will be so tall
    That all these little fingerprints
    Will be difficult to recall.
    So here's a little handprint
    That you can put away
    So you will know how my fingers looked
    On this special day.

~Author Unknown~

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 15, 2004

My mom's ECSE kids sometimes make flowerpots... you can buy very cheaply the little terra cotta pots (check Michael's or other craft stores)... they make thumbprints and can choose whether to make them into butterflies, bees, ladybugs, etc... they plant something in the pots... the moms love them. ;)

6. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Apr 16, 2004

Clarnet, what is ECSE? Is that the same as ESE (exceptional student education)?

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 16, 2004

I also do the handprint poem. Each year we plant marigolds and give them to the mom's.
    This year we going to make a butterfly clothespin magnet. Since the mom's do so much the three kindergartens ask the moms to send in their favorite reciepe and we put together a cookbook for them. We also make cards, and do something using their picture. This year I am going to take their picture with each child holding the sign: I love you to pieces. They will decorate the frames with puzzle pieces.

8. lexusann

lexusann Rookie

Apr 16, 2004

What cute ideas!!! I like the picture frame idea. I've seen the poem done before and attached to one of those hand print molds. It's like the clay stuff that gets the whole effect of the hand. Really cool but I think it could get expensive.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2004

I'm glad you asked this question becuz I was looking for 1st grade!!! I saw instead of clay get 9" pie pans & a bag of just add water cement to do handprints in and then use aquarium stone or something of that nature to do names or initials. It was for a stepping stone!!! I thought that might be fun to do and then do a foot for father's day!!!

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 16, 2004

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 16, 2004

ECSE= Early Childhood Special Ed... preschool (3-5 yr olds) special ed program. :)

Sorry. :)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2004

I just saw cute pens- get 'bic' pens the kind that don't click. The pen is the flower stem. Hot glue a silk flower bloom to end of pen (not ink end) and wrap pen body with green floral tape. Put a bunch in a vase, or stick cap of pen in plaster of paris in mini pot, let dry and then pen fits into pot.

13. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Apr 16, 2004

In Kindergarten, we invite our local florist to come demonstrate to the kids how to make an easy flower arrangement. The cost is around $2 or less per child. The florist brings a variety of fresh cut flowers and lots of greenery. The kids have so much fun making the arrangements and they are meaningful for their mothers. You can use cups or pots to put the flowers in depending on your budget. You wouldn't believe how adorable these actually turn out!