Mother's Day....please help

Discussion in 'Mother's Day Archives' started by Tara19, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Apr 5, 2003

I need a good idea for the children in my class to make a fun and neat Mother's Day present for their Mom's. Any ideas? Thanks!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 5, 2003

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 7, 2003

In the past I have made a construction paper tea pot card.
    Inside is an individually packaged herbal tea. I can't remember
    the poem the students wrote inside.........

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 7, 2003

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 7, 2003

mother's day ideas

I have used two ideas. Last year I had my students save milk cartons from lunch. I cut off the top part. With strips of construction paper fit to go around the milk carton, students drew a picture of flowers, gardens, rainbow,etc. and then they water colored them. I then laminated them and hot glued them around the carton. With whatever plant in season, plant it inside the carton. With the studets pictures, I put them on pieces of construction paper and laminated them and then glued them on a popsicle stick and inserted into the plant. It turns out adorable and very inexpensive. Another idea I have used is to make bath salts. Use epson salt and some glyceral (I think) Use lavender essential oil or geranium, or whatever oil you think and mix 10-15 drops into a bowl with the other ingredients. I put the salts into baby food jars and on labels I write a cute message. The kids aren't really involved in this, but I usually have them make something on their own. Hope this helps.

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Apr 24, 2003

Make a card using construction paper. On front print "My love for you..." inside print "...grows, and grows and grows." On the inside tape a packet of flower seeds. Have children decorate the front. I usually have them draw green stems and glue on scrunched colored tissue paper to form flowers. Very simple, sweet, and inexpensive.

8. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Apr 24, 2003

For Kindergarten, I called our local florist to come in and demonstrate how to make a flower arrangement. Each child brought in $1 and I bought 4 for $1 plastic pots at the dollar store. The florist brought in a lot of different flowers and fillers and each child got to make their mom a flower arrangement. It was extra special because the kids made them on their own. The flowers were very inexpensive because she ordered a large amount of daisies, carnations, fillers, etc. It only took about an hour from start to finish.

It cost less than $30 for flowers for 75+ kids. Last year the teachers used cups instead of the plastic pots, so it was even cheaper.

This worked out even better because we were working on a plants/flowers theme.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2003

Last year I had to sub for the 4 days previous to Mom's Day and not knowing what the "reg" teacher wanted to do I brought in some yarn & flowers and I showed the students how to make yarn flowers. They made 2 for their moms. It was a little time consuming, but the students really enjoyed making flowers for their moms.

10. Miss Christi

Miss Christi Guest

Apr 24, 2003

I teach preschool and last year we made tea light holders and painted flower pots with the kids. For the tea light holders use baby food jars and tissue paper and using watered down white glue stick the tissue paper on the jars and let them dry. These look very pretty when they have candles in them and are easy, fun and sticky to make. For the flower pots we bought craft paint and clay pots from the dollar store and hade the kids paint whatever they wanted on the pots and then wrote in silver pen Mother's Day and the year on the bottom. After the paint drys have the children put dirt in the pots and plant flower seeds in them. Wrap the pots with cellophane and tie them shut (which creates greenhouse effect) and then when the mum's open them they are already starting to grow. It was neat to hear from the children over the next month how Mummy's plant was growing. It gave us a chance to teach a new unit to the kids too!! :)

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 24, 2003

Just read a cute poem on KinderKorner group on yahoo...

English and Spanish versions!! Would be great to go with the flower stuff. I may use that with my little ones. I have pots you color the sheet of paper that goes between the layers of plastic... fix it up with the poem on the paper! HMM!!!

MOTHER'S DAY POEM

I am your little flower, Mom
    Please help me grow and bloom;
    Take the weeds, but leave the roots
    And give me lots of room.

Mom, you are my gardener;
    My sunshine and my rain.
    Too much will make me wither
    With enough, I'll bloom again.

I am your little flower, Mom
    I'm different from the rest;
    Don't pick me Mom, just help me grow
    To be my very best.

by Rebecca Armstrong 1988

POEMA DEL DÍA DE LAS MADRES

Soy su pequeña flor, mama
    Ayúdeme por favor a crecer y a florecer
    Tome las malas hierbas, pero deje las raíces
    Y déme las porciones de sitio.

Mama, usted es mi jardinero;
    Mi sol y mi lluvia.
    Demasiado me hará marchita
    Con bastante, floreceré de nuevo

Soy su pequeña flor, mama
    Soy diferente de los demas;
    No me escoja mama, solo ayudeme a crecer
    Para ser de mi lo.

by Rebecca Armstrong 1988

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 25, 2003

Try out this site: www.theideabox.com has a lot of ideas for just about anything.

13. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Apr 26, 2003

thanks so much to all of you! I think I'm going to use a few of you're ideas! Thanks!