Mother's Day ideas????

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cml88, Apr 18, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Apr 18, 2012

Every year my center has a “Mother’s Day Tea Party” where the kiddies present their moms with some sort of present/art project and sing them a song. I am desperate for some great mother’s day art project ideas and…if you’d like to be insanely helpful, lol, songs?!?!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

I taught 1st and we did an outline of their hands on the like foam paper (sorry don't know what it really is...it's not a foam board, but is spongy and the size of paper). Then I had some glitter glue, markers, sequins, sticker... and let them decorate it for their mom. We also stuck the pix I got from the photographer that was at school!!!! I can't tell you how many mom's told me they loved it!!! They said we always get flowers and they die, but this is something I can keep and remember how little they were.

FYI... 2 girls traced my hand and decorated one for me. I still have it and think of them every time I look at it!!!

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 19, 2012

Find some bathroom tile. White is best. You can buy small legs for them. Paint, decorate, etc.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 19, 2012

Something I like to do is on the bottom of a 8.5x11 piece of paper I type:
    My mom's name is___________
    She is _________years old
    Her favorite color is___________________
    Her favorite food is____________________
    Her favorite household chore is_____________________
    I love my mom because___________________________

I ask each child the questions and write in their responses. At the top of the paper the children draw a picture of their mom.

Moms really get a "kick" out of their child's responses.

6. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Apr 19, 2012

I do the same the as EDUK8 Me for my card, I have also matted the kids handprints with this classic poem:

Sometimes you get discouraged
    Because I am so small
    And always leave my fingerprints
    On furniture and walls
    But every day I'm growing --
    I'll be grown some day
    And all those tiny handprints
    Will surely fade away

So here's a little handprint
    Just so you can recall
    Exactly how my fingers looked
    When I was very small

Put a date here
    Love, put child's name here

I also read "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch and have the kids sit in their mother's laps we read it a few times before the tea so that they know it.

You can also make coffee filter corsages for the moms

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2012

We did cookbooks for the Moms.
    Have the fathers bring in their wives' favorite recipes; secretly.
    Make a recipe book with each page; My Mom's favorite recipe.
    Glue or tape it on the 8 1/2 by 11 page. Have the child sign his or her name. Make copies for all the Moms. It was a HIT when I did it with one of my Pre-K class. You then put all the recipes in the page savers, etc. and make a booklet.
    Rebel1

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2012

We did one of these with my class as well. I had them do my mom's favorite sport (most put watching me play such and such) and my mom is the best cook when she makes.

You are right the mom's just loved these...but I think the student's like giving them just as much and telling me how much their mom loved them!!!

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 20, 2012

My daughter's elementary teacher did this, too, and I still have mine!!! :) I LOVED IT! :love:

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2012

It was almost the end of the year... so we spent part of a day doing Mother's day stuff. We traced hands one day and I had an aide help me do this. Then we decorated them. We made cards and I printed the poem posted above and 1 or 2 other for them to stick on the left side of the card. They decorated the front and then wrote a message on the right side of the card. We also did the mother's day book.

I also did the same a book and card for dad (even though it wasn't until we were out of school) I didn't want the dad's to feel left out, so I told the student's to hide their book and card. LOL!!!

I looked at some of the books I found online used some pages and then made up my own to make my own book!!!

I wasn't a mom a long time ago, but I was a friends stand in mom for mother's day stuff. So I have a lot of stuff that she made me...so funny to look at it now!!! She's in her 20's now!!!

11. FBC4KTeachinSC

FBC4KTeachinSC New Member

Apr 20, 2012

I really like the idea of the dads sending in a recipe. Do you send home a note to the dads or how do you get the word out? There are some dads I have never seen before except on open house back in August.

TIA,
    Shannon