mothers day gifts

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lwag14, Apr 18, 2009.

1. lwag14

lwag14 Rookie

Apr 18, 2009

What do you do for mothers day. This always seems to be the hardest project of the year for me. I've been known to use oriental crafts, and last year I had them paint a plant pot and we made flowers out of foam, but I've never really been completely head-over-heels for the results of these crafts, so I'm looking for good ideas.

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

I have several things that I do; maybe you can get an idea from them. I always take their picture at the beginning of the year, which I use for Mother's Day. I make a picture frame out of the large colored craft sticks (hot glue them to make the frame) On the bottom craft stick I write "Cute As A Button" with a paint marker. The kids glue buttons around the rest of the frame. Then I glue their pic in the frame and a strip of magnetic tape on the back of the pic (hot glue). The pic doesn't have to be from the beginning of the year-one year I had each child go to their favorite center in the room and took their pic there. I also made up a book that I just typed on the computer. The title is "My Mom" Page 1-This is my mom and me. Page 2-This is what my mom does best. Page 3-This is our favorite thing to do together. Page 4-If I could buy my mom anything in the woorld, this is what it would be. The kids illustrate the pages. Childcareland had Mother's Day Coupons that I printed off; they color, cut apart and make a coupon booklet.I found a Greatest Mom Award on the internet that I print and laminate. Dr. Jean has a Kids Cafe Book with different types of recipes. I copied it and put a front page that said Dear Mom, Let's cook up some memories! Happy Mother's Day! Love, ______ I bound these books so they would last. One of my favorite things is to do an "Our Moms" book. I have the kids draw a pic of their mom with a black marker-I usually give them a fourth of a piece of paper to draw on so I will have room for all the pics. Then they tell me one reason they love their mom. I type their names and replies along with the pic they drew and make into a class book. It is by far one of the sweetest things I do.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2009

Last year we made a class cookbook. It was a HUGE hit. One mom told me it was the best gift she has ever gotten. I am planning to do it again this year.

I had the children write about their mom and what makes her special. I also had the children dictate how their mom makes their favorite food. I typed it up and each child had a page. On their page was the dictated recipe, a copy of their writing about their moms, and a photograph of them (I took their picture with a little chef puppet but I think this year I'll bring in some cooking props and maybe get a chef's hat for them to wear).

I got most of the cookbook idea off of another teacher's website. I wish I could remember what it was so I could give her credit. I have all of the info in a file at school.

I always have the children make a card and they also make their own wrapping paper.

One year I got the little clay pots and they put faces on them and then we planted grass seed in them. We made little signs and stuck them in the soil with a toothpick that said, "I love you with every hair on my head."

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 20, 2009

The past 2 years we have made trivets. We get white tiles from a hardware store and then we paint the children's hands and do a handprint. We have them write their name and year on the tile. We spray a few times to protect it and the parents love it!
    We will also make a card and have a mother's day tea.

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 21, 2009

I buy coffee mugs at garage sales all year long-usually for a dime or nickel and save them until a few weeks before Mother's Day. We then plant peanuts (they grow pretty plants and actually will produce peanuts). Tie a ribbon on the handle and it makes a cute gift.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Apr 21, 2009

I have several mother's day gift ideas on my mother's day page. My favorite is anything that uses the child's picture. I like the one below best.
    [​IMG]

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2009

This year we are having the kids draw on shrinking plastic (think shrinky dinks) and then shrinking it in the oven and glueing pin backs on them. The kids will decorate envelopes as wrapping for their gifts and we'll put them out for parents a day or two before Mother's day.

You can also glue magnets on the back of the already shrunk plastic and it makes a great fridge magnet.

Parents usually love these.

9. smile

smile Companion

Apr 22, 2009

Last year we made a necklace keychain (like a lanyard) using beads and swivel hook. The mothers loved it. Its a great present and you get its also a great math lesson....making patterns with bead :D

10. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

Kindergarten 31 -
    planting peanuts! How fun! Do you know how long it takes? Just wondering if I have time for that activity.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2009

I found a really cute heart shaped pin to make, covered with buttons, and it goes with a cute little poem:
    Here's a heart I made for you,
    Covered with buttons all painted blue.
    It's just one of the many ways,
    To say I love you today and every day!

I also had the kids paint a "still life" of some flowers (we were learning both about Spring and about using our sense of sight). I matted them and we're going to wrap those, because they turned out sooooo well.

Kim

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

I make a cute heart necklace out of Fimo clay. I roll red or pink clay to 1/2 inch and cut a small heart with a cookie cutter. The children push their thumb print into the center of the heart. I make a hole with a small nail, bake the clay, string white cord to make a the necklace.

I include a poem saying the thumbprint is a reminder that the child will always be a part of his mom's heart.

13. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

Like sevenplus, I also do the cookbooks. The parents LOVE them! Last year I also added a pot holder from oriental trading. I had the kids do their handprint on one side and their name and year on the other side. Those came out really cute!

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 6, 2009

For your cook book, is it a funny cook book like bake at 500 for 5 minutes kinda thing? Where do the recipes come from?

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 6, 2009

I'm up at 1 am finishing the cookbook right now so I can copy them tomorrow and the students can wrap them on Friday. Kind of teacher-intensive, but they really are a nice gift.

Yes, it's the funny kind. Here are a couple from this year:

Pizza Pancakes: She puts the sugar and flour in the oven. You pull the rack forward, put it in, the push it back in. We put it on a plate, then we eat it. We have pizza pancakes with tomatoes, pepperoni, and a little sauce. They cook for one minute at five. She gets all of the ingredients at the store for one dollar.

Chocolate Chip Cookies: She uses brown powder and two eggs, two scoops of milk, flour, and chocolate chips. She puts some at a time in a big bowl. First flour, then brown powder, then she puts in the chocolate chips. She puts it in the oven for ten minutes at 196. They taste good but they are kind of small. She usually lets me have two.

16. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 6, 2009

We have been cooking all year (ABC Cooking) and the moms have been coming in with all of the supplies each week for their letter. I collected a recipe from each one and have bound a copy for each mom as a cook book. I took a photo of each student in a chef's hat and apron for the cover of each. Also, we made a card that is SUPER CUTE. I had the kids trace an d cut out their om's hand on construction paper for homework one night. The front is one of their hands cut out laced together with their mom's and says: "A mother holds your hand for a while..."
    the inside of the card has two of their hands and a heart and says:
    "But holds your heart forever."

Its soooo cute!

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 7, 2009

SueHue-I am so sorry I didn't get back to this thread. Not that it matters at this point, but we planted them alittle over two weeks ago and the plants are about 3 -4 inches tall. They sprout and grow very quickly.

18. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 8, 2009

Kindergarten31 -
    Thanks for the info. We did plant seeds to grow flowers, but they didn't grow! I found another way to give presents to Mom's from another teacher. We made "Breakfast in a Bag" presents. Using white paper lunch bags, have each student draw a picture of his/her mom laying in bed. There's a special poem someone wrote to go with the bag. Inside, you put a granola bar, juice, and a fruit snack. Fold the bag, punch holes, and tie it with a ribbon. It cost me about $35 for 50 students total, but I had left over fund raising money that I couldn't use for anything. It all worked out. I'll see what the moms say on Monday. I hope they liked them (I thought they were so cute!)