Mother's Day Gifts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MNTeacher, May 4, 2008.

1. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

May 4, 2008

Does any one have any cute mother's day gift ideas. I wanted to do calendars but kindergarten already gave them (siblings) and flower pots have been taken too.

Thanks for any ideas!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 4, 2008

My 3's and 4's are making a cookbook. Each child dictated a recipe... I typed it, and they illustrated it. They're going to decorate their cover tomorrow; their book will have their original illustration and a copy of all the other recipes.

Easy one:

Votive holders... each child needs a baby food jar, use a water/glue mixture to "paint" the jar, then cover the outside with tissue paper, paint it again with the glue mixture to seal it. Tie a ribbon over the mouth of the jar and add a candle. Very pretty :)

4. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

May 5, 2008

Thanks for the great ideas!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 5, 2008

My daughter made a cookbook in her preschool class. It is priceless! How about something with their photo or handprint on it? Or a beaded necklace? Or coupons for help around the house? I haven't thought of anything for my Kinders to do yet and it's already this Sunday!

6. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

May 5, 2008

I love the cookbook idea, where do you get the recipes from? Are they recipes they kids get from their families or do they make them up? Just wondering... I would love to do this idea next year!

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 5, 2008

Make a recipe card/ring holder. Buy a 3" clay flower pot from the craft store (Michael's) Hot glue a spring loaded clothespin to the edge of the pot (the part you squeeze) Each child decorates the pot with paint (I let them sponge paint as it dries quickly) hot glue on buttons or sequins, too. Ask each child what is their mother's favorite food. Go to allrecipes.com and print out a recipe for that food. Glue the recipe onto a large index card. Have the child decorate the front of the card. Place inside the clothes pin. Also, fill the inside of the pot with dried spanish moss and some flowers (from the craft store)

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 5, 2008

My recipes...

We did a week of cooking activities, and I'm including the real recipes we used... then:

I asked each child who cooks at their house.. .mommy or daddy? Then I asked them what the BEST food they make is, then asked them how they make it. I can tell a few of the kids actually spend time in the kitchen... and the others don't have any idea... but it's cute! :)

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 6, 2008

The best thing about the recipes was that it was in their own words. (add 20 pounds of spaghetti and stir real fast). Also they illustrate the recipe. Very cute!

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 6, 2008

We are making flower pens w/ seeds attached & a cute poem. I may also have them make photo frames if I have time.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 6, 2008

12. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

May 6, 2008

Hand Prints on a Wash Cloth

We are doing hand prints on a wash cloth using fabric paint...oh I hope no one gets it on their clothes! :)
    we will roll them up and tie a cute poem to them with a bow.

13. kem

kem Companion

May 6, 2008

we decorated plastic light switch plates

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 7, 2008

Ohh! I like that idea kem! What kind of paint do you need to use? Thanks!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

I subbed one year the week before Mother's day and so I thought I better do something for Mother's day. I taught the kids how to make yarn flowers out of yarn & a fork (thank you Brownies)!!! LOL!!! Anyway I had each student do 2 and then if they completed their work they could do more. It was something I thought the mom's would like. Luckily it wasn't too time consuming. After getting the students with their work I would call 2 up at a time to show them how. It worked out really good!!!

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 7, 2008

If you yourself have children or need a gift to give to a special room mother....... today only You can get a FREE 8X10 picture printed at walgreens. use coupon code 4MOM

17. AuNaturale

AuNaturale Rookie

May 7, 2008

How about decorating ceramic tiles to use as coasters? Have the kids paint them and then spray with acrylic sealant when dry.

18. kem

kem Companion

May 7, 2008

we just used Sharpies-they turned out really well!

19. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

May 8, 2008

We make bath salts that can be used as scented sachets if they don't want to put them in the bath.

Epsom salt
    scented oil- 2 or 3 small drops
    food coloring (optional)- 2 or 3 drops

We mix all of the above in a snack bag that is closed so that we can squish the stuff up to mix it.

Then we flatten the bag of salt, fold it in half, and place it in a pretty sachet bag (bought in the craft section of Wal-Mart around the wedding and baby stuff). They are so easy and inexpensive to make.

20. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

May 8, 2008

We wrote Mother's Day poems-- I love you because...
    And the kids also made a flower out of pipe cleaners and tissue paper. They are really cute!