mothers' day gift

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by diro.pams, Apr 19, 2006.

1. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Apr 19, 2006

What do each of you do for a Mothers' Day gift? We've been doing the clay handprint. The last few years it's been harder to find a school that has a functioning kiln and will allow us to bring our prints over. Our K teachers are wondering what others do for Mothers' Day.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2006

We make torn tissue paper picture plates. I buy clear glass salad plates (Martha Stewart brand from KMart). I center a picture of the child on the backside of the plate so the picture shows through to the front. Then the children tear up colorful tissue paper and modge podge it onto the plate over the picture. They need to cover the entire plate with tissue paper. When they are done, I smooth it out by adding more of the modge podge solution, making sure the paper on the edges of the plate is secured down tightly. They turn out beautiful, and it is a great keepsake. The moms all love it! :)

4. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Apr 19, 2006

We're doing the traditional growing of flowers. We painted our clay pots (the 3" clay pots from Home Depot were $.50 each) and planted merigold seeds on Friday. We noticed today some are already starting to sprout!

http://www.kindergartenklubhouse.com/picture%20pages/April%2014%20pics.htm

Scroll down to the end and you can see some of my kiddos painting their pots. (The grass towards the top was for a different project.)

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2006

mccwen...........your idea reminded me of something my son made for me in kindergarten.......I loved it. They used the clay pots as you did (they were decorated with buttons and doodads) and inside there was styrofoam with spanish moss to cover the top. The teacher traced their hand and then cut it out using a pinking shears. The children glued their "flower hand" down to a popsicle stick and then glued the right fingers down so that their flower hand "read" I love you (in sign). A construction paper leaf was added to the stick and then it was placed into the clay pot. Too cute!

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 20, 2006

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

9. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Apr 20, 2006

First, I buy the 25 or 50 cent clay pots at Wal-Mart, which we then sponge paint with plain old tempera paint. After they have dried, I spray over them with a clear shellac. Then comes the fun part! I have a local florist come in. She brings in a wide variety of small plants (she usually gets us a bargain on them - $1 or $2, and the parents send $1 to school) and teaches the kids how to plant and care for them properly (gravel, dirt mixture, plant, more dirt, proper watering, etc.). She even brings the "Leaf Shine" stuff and the kids all get to spray their plant until they SHINE! They absolutely have a blast with the planting and are so into learning about the different types of plant and are very careful to choose the one they think their mom will like best. It's great fun! :)

10. Mrs.Meow

Mrs.Meow Rookie

Apr 20, 2006

To add to the clay pot ideas...We did a decoupage pot...
    I cut up tissue paper squares and the kids glued the them in different designs onto their pots using sponge paint brushes, and a mixture of glue and water....They looked amazing....

11. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Apr 20, 2006

This is the cutest idea! I haven't even thought about Mother's Day yet, so I'm glad to read this post!

12. ABall

ABall Fanatic

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2006

another idea I had........I've had kids answer questions for me and I put a book together with all of the kids "stories" about mom. For instance:
    *I think my mom looks just like________________
    *If I could buy my mom anything, I would buy her________________
    *The favorite thing my mom cooks is_______________________
    *I love my mom because____________________________
    *My favorite thing to do with mom is_______________
    I can't think of the other questions, but they can be very silly and touching too. The children then illustrate a picture of their mom. I type it all up and make copies and put a book together with all the stories in them. There is a dedication page which includes a nice poem and a handprint of their child included as well. THey are really nice.
    I've done something similar in having children dictate their favorite recipe for something mom cooks! Those are a hoot! LOL!

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Apr 21, 2006

I have made the handprint poem, clay pots, and saw a cute idea for another flower pot. Make the traditional construction paper flower, in the center glue the child's picture. Make a mixture of brown paint and white glue. Add white rice to the flower pot, pour the glue over it and add the flower. When it dries it looks really nice. I bet you could buy brown rice and skip the paint and just pour glue.
    This year I bought the plastic mugs at Michael's for 50 cents. They are the kind that have the paper designs inside for the kids to color. Should be cute.
    Love all the ideas everyone!

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 21, 2006

anybody want to be my kids' teacher the week before Mother's day?
    Its not too much fun to do any of these projects when your the teacher and mom all in one.

16. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Apr 21, 2006

Another idea I've done in the past: Coasters (or spoon holders or whatever you want them to be). You purchase bathroom tiles at Home Depot (I got 24 for $3.00 two years ago) and have the kids paint on them with acryllic paint using Q-tips. Then I spray that clear shellac stuff on them after the kids go home. They dry overnight and become shiny. Then the kids wrap them the next day (homemade wrapping paper is adorable), and do a card or book or whatever you want to go with it. They last forever, and the moms just love them! I had one mom who was finishing their bathroom, and she put her daughter's tile in the bathroom tiling. How adorable! Most use them as spoon holders when they're cooking or as coasters. I love it because it's completely the kids work and so cheap (I think I spent less than $10.00 for the whole class--the paint was what cost the most, but you don't use much so it lasts)!!

17. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 21, 2006

My class was small because it was SPED, but we bought the photo mugs from Wal-Mart ($.99 each). I used pictures from my digital camera taken throughout the year to collage a photo strip that fit into each mug. My kids assembled the mugs and hot-glued the tops in. Then we got dipping chocolate and colored sugar and made and packaged coffee stirrer spoons. We bought tiny packs of coffee for maybe $.50 or $.99 each at a grocery store and packaged them all in plastic wrap with a bow and a poem. I can't remember the poem, went something like:

For your gift on Mother's Day
    I'll try my best in every way
    But if you get upset with me
    Relax and have some hot coffee!

My parents liked the photos a lot and my SPED kids were pretty intrigued to see their photos on the mugs. It was a cute gift. We did something similar for Father's Day with small water thermoses and "emergency" supplies that also went over well.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006