Mother's Day Gift Ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Janet Sue, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Janet Sue

Janet Sue Rookie

Apr 1, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a new Mother's Day Gift idea for my 3-Year old Class and my 4 -Year old class!! Care to share your ideas or post pictures of what you've done in the past? THANKS!:love:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 1, 2008

For Christmas, we did trivets... we got the cheap white (could be any color) tiles from Home Depot or wherever (the kind you'd get to tile your bathroom or whatever... 3x3 is a great size)... brush diluted glue over the entire top surface, then let the kids go to town with tissue paper on top of the glue... use more glue as needed, then brush over the top with glue to "seal" it. We took their pictures, printed on photo paper, and glued on top of the dried tile, then sprayed the whole thing with varnish and added felt on the bottom. The parents LOVED them... they'd be easy to do for Mother's Day, too. :)

I also like baby food jar votive candles... tissue paper/glue around the outside, then add a candle in the middle :)

4. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

I like to plant marigold seeds--I think we'll do them next week--and have the kids each water their own every day. Then by mother's day, there are sprouts if not actual flowers (some years we get a few flowers by mother's day). Then a little closer, I have the kids sponge paint a basic clay pot and we transfer the flowers in.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

Apr 1, 2008

I love doing anything where I can take my kids pictures - and with photography experience try this. Drape up a big pink blanket (or red) for a background, and in big die-cut letters put "I Love You Mom" on it - then have the child hold a valentine bear, or big candy heart etc.,.. Its cute

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 1, 2008

bc, my mom often does plants, too... and for the pots, she gets the sale ones at Michael's and they make thumbprint insects on the outside :)

7. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

thumbprint insects--CUTE.

8. Hannah's Place

Hannah's Place Rookie

Apr 2, 2008

Some past ideas: Paint small terra cotta planters, make a picture frame and have them paint and decorate it, paperweights with a drawing glued underneath, placemats (their work or art laminated), stepping stones with handprints, small photo albums that the kids put together made out of paper bags -- just hole punch and tie ribbon to hold together (age appropriate, though), snow globes with a photo inside of their child, framed handprints of each child (works great with the homemade frames!!). Just a few off the top of my head.

9. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Apr 2, 2008

Last year I painted terra cotta flower pots white and the I had the kids put both there hand prints on them with acrylic paint. I had them plant marigold flower (already a small bloom) and I used a clear plastic floral pick and put a poem on it then stuck it in the flower pot. It looked really nice on the table at their brunch....very bright. The parents loved it and most cried.

This year I borrowed someones idea (I am sorry I forget who) and we are doing the cookbooks. I started in January getting all the information form the kids. We are a three day half day program so it took me awhile to get certain kids information. I took their picture with a chef's hat on and they were holding a bowl and spoon. Now I have ready to print it and I have a binding machine so will bind them for the parents. They have turned out so well. Thanks to whoever I got this idea from. I think I will probably do this each year.

I am only doing the cookbooks for the 4's and for the 3's I am doing the flower pots. Then next year the ones that were three this year will get the cookbook. I am trying to keep it special and different for each age.

10. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 3, 2008

These are all fabulous!

I just wanted to add that I have a TON of Mother's day verses that are beautiful and can be used in whatever way you'd like. They're on posterboard and they are professionally done...I just don't have a use for as many as I have. I can send you a pic of one sheet. if you'd like any, I can send them to you COD. They are very nice...and there are quotes, and phrases for Aunt's and Grandparents also. (I've never sent anything cod, but i assume I can!?! if you know differently....let me know!) I gave some to my daughter's teacher and she loved them....if you, or anyone for that matter....wants some let me know! Sent from Indiana to Illinois shouldn't be too much?!?!

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 3, 2008

My two favorites to do are Boxes of Love and coffee Filter Roses. To make the boxes of love I gather small white cardboard boxes that jewlery comes in (the ring size ones work the best I think). Sometimes jewelry stores or even walmart will save them for you if you explain what they are for). I have the kids decoupage tissue paper allover the sides and bottom, and the cover as well, but have them do the cover as a seperate piece. then I let them pick out what ribbon they want me to tie it up with and when I tie it I have them put theri finger on the knowt to hold it so I can make the bow nice and tight. I tell them they are helping me seal their love inside. Before I do this, though I taek their picture, print it out in a size that will fit in the box. I find that contact size prints work best . then i attach at gift tag that I have "dotted" Happy Mother's Day, Love" on and they trace the words and write their name. Inside the tag I put this poem

Dear Mom/Dad,

This is a very special gift
    That you can never see.
    The reason it's so special
    Is, it's just for you from me.
    Whenever you are lonely
    Or even feeling blue,
    You only have to hold this gift
    And know I think of you.
    You never can unwrap it
    Please leave the ribbon tied,
    Just hold the box next to your heart
    It's filled with love inside.

that way if they should open it, they see their child's face!

the coffee filter roses are very simple, but require me to do msot of the work when i am working with the younger children, though kindergarten and older 4's can usually do the wrapping themselves with some guidance. You take food coloring and water and mix up a "dye"-- I usually use yellow, red and and combination of orange and yellow which dries more like a peach color and the red comes out pink. the child chooses the color and dips the coffee filter in the dye- make sure it's completly submerged and holds it in their for a minute or so. (it'svery helpful to let them wear latex gloves for this even though its a paint o get their small hands into our gloves. then they take it out and squeeze all the water out by crumpling it as tight as they can. this step helps create some wrinkles int he finished project making it look more realistic. You can let them air dry, but I usually let the children hold them while I blow dry them. Once they are dry help the children fold them into quaarters and cut a small section off the point--about 1/2 inch up form the point. I usally draw a line. then they cut a wavy line all the way around the outer edge. then you make one cut for the outer edge to the inner edge so it is no longer a complete circle. YOU simpley begin wrapping it around a pencil ontop of itself, pinching it as you go. whenit's all wrapped you pull it off the pencil and staple the bottom and flare the "petals out". then i usually have them make a gift tag and we attach the rose buds to greem pipecleaners and attach the tag to the pipecleaner. they are really cute.

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 3, 2008

A nice way to make pretty individual cards for mother's day is to use sahving cream and food coloring. Take a piece of white construction paper and fold it in half to make a card. give each child a paper plate witha pile of shaving cream on it. Let them choose what colors (3 is usally good) of food coloring htey want to use. then put a few drops of each color onthe pile of shaving cream. have them take a toothpick and swirl NOT STIR, the color around jsut a little bit. If they stir it will turn brown. gently lay the paper on top of the shaving cream and have the child pull the paper across the pile. then turn the paper over and have them use paper towels to wipe allt he sahving cream off. it will be instantly dry! You will get very colorful, individual designs on each card. You can help them write what ever you want inside. I usually do "Happy Mother's Day" "I Love You" and have them write their name

13. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Apr 3, 2008

Hi, We paint a small 2" clay pot with spring colours of acrylic paint. I put playdough inside and make a 'flower' from a coloured muffin cup with the child's picture glued inside, and then stuck on a green popsicle stick. Then I attach the following poem:
    I see flowers blooming bright in the sun.
    How will I choose just one.
    Mother's Day is here and it must be right,
    To say "I love you" with a flower so bright.

I'm sure I got the idea from someone here at AtoZ.
    It is very popular with our Mom's.
    Kerry

14. mothersdayflowe

mothersdayflowe New Member

Apr 24, 2009

Mothers Day Flowers Online Orlando

Mothers Day Flowers, Gifts and Guide , and here are the best way to get a good mothers day flowers gift for your Mother's to your mother is to order online. However you can order it a day early Mothers Day Flowers Online Orlando it's very helpful for you to sending flowers to your mothers day.

Thanking You