Mother's Day gift ideas...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Apr 18, 2015.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2015

Do you make a gift in class? If so, what do you do? Is it bad if I don't do this? I teach 3rd grade and really am not in the mood. Anything we'd make would be out of my pocket. It's not that I have a bad attitude, but time-wise, money-wise; just not into it.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 18, 2015

I thought about doing something like a Mother's Day acrostic poem, using a template like the one here:

http://www.education.com/worksheet/article/write-mother-day-poem/

The kids would write a poem (which is practicing writing and poetry) and then be pretty happy about getting to color the picture. Glue it on a piece of construction paper, and done.

4. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 18, 2015

I haven't done gifts in class for a long time. Between families who don't celebrate holidays and children not living with their families, or children who've lost a parent, I've always had at least one student who would be negatively affected (in my opinion) by the activity.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 18, 2015

I've never done gifts for Mother's Day or Father's Day. If you do one, you have to do the other. Too many kids come from complicated situations and may not have someone to celebrate... or they don't know who they should be celebrating.

I did get a note from a mother one year, asking if I had forgotten to send home her daughter's Mother's Day gift. I simply told her that I believe Mother's Day and Father's Day are family holidays, so I leave it up to families to decide how to celebrate.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 18, 2015

We are in our poetry unit right now, so I think I'm going to have my students write poems for their mothers.

Father's Day is after we're out of school, so I don't have to worry about that one.

I really think it depends on the climate of your class. Last year, my school got out later, so we did a Father's Day thing. This was tricky in my old school, but my first graders with different family situations made something for grandpa/uncle/etc. They didn't seem effected by it. I could see it being different in upper grades, though.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 18, 2015

http://funhandprintartblog.com/2009/07/moms-lil-angel-footprint-tile.html

I made these one year; however, I didn't use tiles. I made them on card stock on laminated them afterward. No cost for me since I used tempera paint & card stock from the supply room at school.

Additionally, I went to the dollar store and purchased large disposable foil pans for the kids to rinse off their feet afterward.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2015

I do moms day coupons and a flower pen...I get the flowers, floral tape and pens from dollar store. We also have an awesome plant at school where kids can get plants starting at $1.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Flower-Pens-Make-a-Great-DIY-Gift/

Costs me between $7-$8 ....plus kids end up buying me flowers and parents send me gifts during the year for different holidays...I work in a great place.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 18, 2015

No. I wouldn't have too much trouble for Mother's Day... I've never had a kiddo without a mom (and I've had a couple kiddos that live with two moms), but I've had several with no fathers, and doing something for Mother's Day but not Father's Day... not going there.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 18, 2015

Are you still in school when Father's Day happens? I figure since it's after school ends, I won't worry about it. Maybe I'm wrong to think that way?

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 18, 2015

We go until almost the end of June. We always are still in. Truthfully, it would be easier to find the time to make good Father's Day presents than Mother's Day (after state testing, we don't have to be worried about getting dinged for "fun projects"). But... yeah, no. Although I did have one sweet little girl bring me a Father's Day card last year, because I was a father, she didn't have one, and I was as close to a father as she had.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 18, 2015

Oh, that's precious! How sweet.

Our state testing is next week, so we definitely don't have to worry about that getting in the way, but we are in until June 12, just a week short of father's day.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2015

I got foam paper traced child's hand. Gave them glitter glue & stickers. The decorated their hand & we put a magnet on it. One mom told it was do much better than Dixie cup with flower. Lol. We also did mother's day book. (I sent one home at end of year for them to give yo dad's as well).
    As a sub one year I taught kids to do yarn flowers with forks. I ended up in class for week before with no plans yo do anything for mom's. Each child made 2 & if finished work could make more. Then we made a card! Simple cheap, hand made & children thought it was the neatest.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 19, 2015

I didn't do anything for Mother's Day last year because I had one kiddo in my class with no mom in her life. She's in my class again this year, so I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't do Father's Day because, sad to say, more than a third of my class has limited to no contact with their fathers.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2015

I stopped doing Mother's and Father's Day gifts when the kids themselves started complaining about making the gifts. Or they wanted to know why I didn't buy more expensive gifts for them to send home.

Thinking about it, I stopped giving the kids end of years gifts for the same reason over the last decade or so. I got tired of kids that demand to be gifted things. They demanded presents for their birthdays, holiday, etc, and got pouty when I didn't buy them things.

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2015

Mother's Day usually falls at the end of our state testing week, so we will often do a simple art or craft project. Usually, we make tissue paper flowers. I can get tissue paper and pipe cleaners at school, but if I couldn't, that would be pretty cheap. With these, it's easy for kids to make more than one, which they can then share with aunts, grandmas, etc.

We get out the end of May, so I've never done anything for Father's Day.

17. minnie

minnie Cohort

Apr 22, 2015

We do Mother's Day crafts, but not Father's Day because its after school gets out. We've never had a complaint.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

I don't do just "mother's day" or "father's day" things...I do "someone special" celebrations. My own mom died when I was 4 and it was really hard growing up and always having things for moms when mine wasn't around. Many of my students don't have moms around, so doing it this way they can invite a cousin, grandma, aunt, sister or mom. :)

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2015

Leigh... I know I've told you... but I was that "someone special" for friends of our family at Mother's Day things. I still have the things.

*sidenote we call her our oldest..LOL!!!

20. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 24, 2015

We make picture frames. You can pick up the frames for about a dollar at any craft store, and if you talk to the manager, you can usually haggle the price down to around $.50-at least from my experience. So for $12-$25 depending on whether I can get the manager to go down on price, they make a picture frame, and then I just print off a picture of each kid on normal printer paper. I let the kids use any and all craft supplies they would like to make a lovely frame for their mom, grandma, aunt, or whoever takes care of them. I've had kids being raised by single dads before so I have them make one for their dad, and I've had Jehovah's Witness kids make them as a 'hey, mom, I love you' thing.
    Moms at my school look forward to it every year, and repeat parents always ask if I'm doing it again.

21. truthsay

truthsay New Member

Apr 24, 2015

The worst thing is, this mother’s day i’m far away from my mom in Toronto. Every mother’s day, i used to plan some outdoor celebration along with her. Sadly, this time it’s not possible because of tight work schedules. But i have planned to gift her red rose flower bouquet and chocolates for her by buying flowers online from Flower Canada website. I hope this can make her surprise and happy even more in my absence.:hugs:

22. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Apr 25, 2015

I've always thought this was the most awkward thing. I was that kid in elementary school without a mom. Super rare, but it happens. I HATED the dreaded "let's make mom a card and a flowerpot" assignment. UGH.

Gr3teacher mentioned that they've never had a class where a mom wasn't present...I'm wondering, would you change your project or not even do one at all if you had a student without a mom? I had a teacher once who offered to cut me out "Grandma" letters for a card instead of the "Mom" ones everyone else got...I thought that was nice. Other teachers just kind of left me to decide how to decorate my "Mom" crafts...I think my biggest issue with it all was my mom died when I was in 2nd grade, so it was still rather fresh throughout the rest of elementary school.

Nope. Never doing it when I have my own classroom.

23. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Apr 25, 2015

Is mother's/father's day a religious thing?

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

While I recognize I didn't say this specifically, I thought I was reasonably clear that I don't do anything for EITHER holiday because of some missing fathers.

25. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Apr 25, 2015

Thank you for clarifying- I clearly misread. I hope you didn't take my question as an attack; the way I was understanding it needed more clarification. Thanks!

26. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 26, 2015

No, but Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate any holiday.

27. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 3, 2015

Hi. What is a Mother's Day book?

28. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 3, 2015

I saw a cute idea on pinterest. I don't remember what they called them, but you bought large metal washers (really cheap for a container of a lot of them). The kids paint designs on them with fingernail polish. (It dries and looks like enamel.) Then you put a ribbon on it, and it's a necklace. Way cool! I think I'm going to do these this year.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 3, 2015

I found some questions & then came up with a few of my own to make a small book. Like my mom's favorite sport is (a kid put soccer because I play it). The mom's loved it.

I can't find the book, but have found like the 1 page questionnaire's.

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 3, 2015

That's cute. I think kiddos love making things!!! I was surprised how quick kids wanted to get their work done to make the yarn flowers!!! LOL!!!