Mother's Day for motherless student

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

The title pretty much says it all! How do I handle doing a class craft with a student whose mother passed away years ago? It's just him and his brothers with their dad. Help!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

You're new to the situation, but dad isn't.

Call him and ask what he suggests. Is there a grandmother in the picture? An aunt who is close? A babysitter the child sees on a regular basis?

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

I'm pretty sure that there isn't any of the above. I was thinking that I could find a generic poem and he could give it to his dad.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

I agree with Alice. I would call dad and see what he suggests.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

Or ask his 2nd grade teacher.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 26, 2011

I had a child who had lost his mom the year before. There was a stepmom in the picture, so it's not similar to your kiddo's situation, but my little boy asked to make two presents for Mother's Day. He wanted to give one to his stepmom and he wanted to make one for his mom and take it to her grave.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2011

I would highly suggest phoning his dad. Only he will know if even participating in the activity around his peers making something for their mothers would be upsetting for his child.

9. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Apr 26, 2011

TeacherinTexas - that choked me up! What a thoughtful student! Oh my goodness!

I think phoning dad really shows you care about the student. Although asking last year's teacher could provide some insight as well. You could always just ask the student what he would like to do, if he's old enough to make that kind of decision.

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

I do a to whomever you would like to recognize day rather than a Mother's Day or Father's Day.

11. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Apr 26, 2011

I used to do the same thing -- a "person who has made a difference in our lives." (Most kids chose their mother.) The foster mother of one of my former students offered me a teary thank you for this. In large part, I went this route because my mother died when my siblings and I were young. My little sister used to give me Mothers' Day gifts from school. I recognize this makes me particularly sensitive to the issue. Honestly, though, I think I feel worse for students that come from abusive and/or neglectful homes, who make gifts for someone with whom they have a very complicated relationship at a very young age. Mother's Day can stir up a lot of anxiety in those children just as it does for motherless children. We are also starting to have students with two fathers, etc.

Motherless children can feel isolated when they have to choose an 'alternate.' Some children are more sensitive to this than others. It's not the end of the world, clearly, but maybe you'd consider doing a 'special woman or person in my life' project instead?

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 27, 2011

I've often let my kiddos choose who they want to give the gift to. Sometimes, I've had kids ask to make more then one. . .to give to Mom, a favorite Aunt or Grandma. As long as I have enough supplies, I've let them.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2011

Having been the "special" person for a child who lost her mom I can see so many of your sides.

I think calling the dad & talking with the other's at school is a great idea. I don't know what you are making, but it might be nice if you (personally) could spare 44 cents to mail something to the grandma or something. I can't imagine how tough it is for her as well & to get something from "Johnny's" school might just bring a smile to her face.

I know I loved all the little trinkets that I got from the child that I know & love & that she thought of me that way & still does!!!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2011

I strongly agree too! Most importantly, don't mk the child do anything that he/she doesn't want to do. If the child just wants to sit there & draw a picture or sit in the library area & read a book while everyone else is working on their project, allow him/her to do so.