mothers day crafts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by tiggerteacher, Apr 13, 2007.

1. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Apr 13, 2007

What do you do for mothers day? This is my 1st year in first grade and I was wondering what you do for mothers day.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2007

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2007

Mother's Day falls during our plant unit. During our unit we grow plants, usually Marigolds and I send these home as a Mother's Day gift. Plus the kids make cards. This year I am not doing anything related to Mother's Day. I have several children without mom's.:(

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 13, 2007

I have no idea what to do!

Last year, we made bookmarks. I just cut strips of pink cardstock, and put a picture of them on it, and the kids decorated. Then I laminated them. They were cute! We also did an 'All About Mom' activity where they answered questions like, what does your mom love to do in her free time, stuff like that. I'll have to look back in my files to see more.

But I don't know what I'm doing this year. Hmmmm... maybe we'll do bookmarks again.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2007

You know what?? I would love to do a cute activity that my daughter did for me when she was in 2nd grade I think, but it was like a pretty card with "All About My Mom" inside and it had things for them to fill out like:
    My mom is _____years old.
    She is _______feet tall.
    She likes to eat________.

And I can't remember the rest. But if any of you have done this can you tell me more about it. I wish I still had the card, I might still have it in my closet if I looked. But it was just adorable and she even drew a pic of me which was so funny. And the answers were so funny too! :D

7. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Apr 13, 2007

Ok, it's a little late for this year, but next year hold a "Mommy Make-over." Our 1st grade teacher started this 2 years ago and it is a HUGE hit. The kids all invite their moms to a make-over party. The moms are to bring brushes, hair stuff, makeup, lotions, etc. When we arrived, the kids had a song - ours was the "You're My Hero" song by Bette Midler. All the moms were sobbing by the end of the song. They made a group book about why their moms were special. We had little cakes that the local grocery store donated and the kids decorated. Earlier in the week the kids had made handprints in plaster (the size of a pie pan) and painted their hands. Then the make-over began. The kids did the make-overs on the moms. It was so fun and the kids were so excited! The local paper comes every year to document the event. It's a LOT of work for the teacher, but she gets every mom's gratitude for such a special time with their child.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 13, 2007

Yes we did this last year. The document is on my other computer, so I'll have to find it and I can email it to you if you'd like. Or just copy and paste the text. I just printed it on flowery paper.

9. Youngteacher226

Apr 13, 2007

Yes, that would be nice to see what you did, I can get some ideas.:)

michelb366, wow!!!! A mommy makeover day...I bet that was alot of work. Yeah, it's a bit too late to plan something like that now but how nice of an event that is. Kudos to the teacher who does that every year.:wow: :D

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 13, 2007

MY ECSE kids last year made handprint coasters... most of them were REALLY tactically defensive, so just getting them to paint their hand and slap it on paper was a BIG accomplishment. ;) (handprint on construction paper, cut out, laminate... super easy but practical!)

My mom often has her kids decorate flower pots and place a plant in them. .. finger/thumb prints make REALLY cute bugs :)

11. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Apr 14, 2007

Such great ideas!!!! thanks!! Miis Kirby can i get a copy of the "all about my mom"

12. enseignante

enseignante Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

hmmm... I would not want my child partaking in a mommy make-over day.
    The bookmark idea is a really nice one.

13. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Apr 14, 2007

I don't think I made it clear - the moms got the make-overs from the kids - the kids weren't made over.

14. enseignante

enseignante Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

No, you were clear michelb366.
    I just don't like the idea so much. I don't want my children to learn about mothers and gender stereotypes like this. It sends a message that women love make-overs and being made-up. While this is obviously true for some women, I don't like the idea of overtly teaching gender stereotypes like this. I think it can be damaging.

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 14, 2007

Last year (1st grade), I made a 12x12 scrapbook page with the kids' handprint, their school picture and that poem about the handprint (can't remember the name of it). Since I have the same group of kids, I would like to do something different.

Miss Kirby, if you find the page you made about mom, I would like a copy as well. Thanks! :)

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2007

Me too miss Kirby!!

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 14, 2007

In the past I have made keychains. This year we are putting their handprints on titles and having them write their name on it.

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2007

I looked on the other computer.... can't find it! So weird. I'll find a copy at school and I'll let you know what things I put on it. It'll be real simple to type up in word.

19. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

We have a Mother's Day Tea. The mom's come for strawberry shortcake, the children sing a couple of songs, we do a simple craft together, last year it was gluing potpourri on a cardboard heart to hang in Mom's closet. For our gift the children paint a small clay pot (2 inches I think) with acrylic paint. I put playdough in it and then we make a flower to go in it with a coloured popsicle stick and the child's picture glued inside a coloured paper muffin cup. The mom's really like the gifts.

20. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Apr 14, 2007

keep the great ideas coming!!! Too many to pick from. I am thinking of doing of a tea now. What songs do you sing?

21. smile

smile Companion

Apr 14, 2007

we have made something simple like a magnet handprint with the kids picture glued on the palm. I laminated to make it durable. We have also made a key chain (from oriental trading).

we have also made something that took a little longer to complete. It was flowers made out of their hands on felt. They glued the flowers (lilies) on the popsicle stick. The kids paint the outside of the 2" ceramic pot. They write "Happy Mother's Day" or "I Love You" (if they don't have a mom) along with their name and date. The kids fill the pot with pinto beans and they "plant" their flowers. I add one more thing to this project, a picture holder. I hot glue a tiny clothes pin on the popsicle stick. I cut the flowers out of construction paper and glue the kids picture in the middle of the flower. I place the flower on the clothes pin. The kids wrap the gift with a tissue paper and place it inside the paper bag. The moms LOVE this gift.

I enjoy doing this project every year. I'm not sure if i am going to do the flowers this year. I'm willing to try new things.

22. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 14, 2007

I made photo mugs for my SPED kids (just the dollar a piece from Wal-Mart kind); my students made chocolate coffee stirrers for their moms. We wrapped them up nicely, I think 3 spoons per cup, with a small package of coffee, and some kind of hokey poem attached. The moms loved them, my kids loved seeing their photos on the mug.

23. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Apr 14, 2007

When my daughter was in first grade they painted little 2 inch clay plots, then put a votive candle in it. I still have it and it is still too cute!

24. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Apr 14, 2007

The first grade teacher at my school does bath salts. She buys a big thing of epsom salts and a couple bottles of essential oils. They add the oil to the epsom salts - scented bath salts! She cuts circles of material, they spoon some salts into the middle and tie with a pretty ribbon. A nice site for craft ideas is www.makingfriends.com

25. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

26. Youngteacher226

Apr 29, 2007

I like that idea because all this would really take is a bunch of copy paper and book binders for each child. Do you think that each recipe should be given to every mom like 20 recipes per book if you have 20 kids? I'm just wondering how much work this would be or if I should just buy the flower pots from oriental trading and call it a day.
    Where do you get binders from?

27. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Apr 29, 2007

I just bought small flower pots from Wal-mart for about $0.42 each. I am thinking of having my students decorate the pots and making a some flowers to put inside!! One of which will have their picture on it! I think it will be a cute idea!

28. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

Yeahhhh I know I was going to do flower pots but I thought this would be so perfect with what we are doing in writing right now.

I'm thinking about not typing up the kids recipes. I think it would take a lot of time for me! Even though it would be no dollars for me! I typed up the cover, intro sheet, and recipe sheet, so that's done. I'm thinking for the kids, maybe I'll have them go through the whole writing process and when they publish I'll give them a sheet that maybe has spaces for them to put their information in an organized way.... maybe I'll have lines for the title, name, then with "first, then, next, and last." Then a space for the picture.... the kids could draw their own or maybe I'll take their pictures. I don't know..... I want this to be as simple as possible...

29. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

Oh and I ordered the binders from the district.

But I'm thinking about just using the copy machine to copy a colored cardstock cover and to staple it. It wouldn't be as fancy but it would be fast.

30. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 3, 2007

Alright this week the kids are working on their recipes for the cookbook. I can decide if I want to type it or copy the kids handwritten paper. I don't know what would be best. What do you think?

31. laughinglady

laughinglady Rookie

May 3, 2007

I teach third and I always buy small clay pots like at Lowes or Wal-Mart and let my kids paint on them. Sometimes I buy a single flower like a daisy to put in it but last year I just sent the pot home. They really get creative and love doing it.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 3, 2007

I did a book to for my mom's...I did back to back copies as to not waste paper...My pages are
    -My mother’s name is
    -My mother's favorite sport is
    -My mother is years old.
    -My mother's favorite food is
    -My mother's favorite color is
    -My mother likes to
    -I love it when my mother
    -My mother is

The books turned out great...it was so funny read & then hear what the moms thought!!! The best was my mom likes to do the dishes & go to my soccer games & my mom is 56...which I knew the mom was only about 4 years older than me a far stretch!!!
    We also made foam handprints. We traced the students hands & they got to decorate them with glitter, sequins, and we put their sticky picture you get from class pictures in the middle & stuck a magnet on the back!!! They were really fun & turned out cute. They then made a card & I made copies of a couple "handprint" poems they could stick on the left side of the card when it was open!!!

We did the book for fathers day as well!!!

33. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

May 3, 2007

I know this idea is also too late for this year, but our whole second grade team had the kids make plates. We got a kit that included special markers and paper. You send the decorated paper off and they send back the plates. It was fun and the kids loved it! We just got the plates back and they turned out really good!

34. cristib

cristib Rookie

May 4, 2007

Beaded Bookmarks

For Mother's Day the last 3 years my first graders have made beaded bookmarks. I had a mom tell me it was the BEST school made Mother's Day gift she had ever received (and she has 6 kids, so she has received many gifts over the years!). I have seen them in bookstores, but they are really easy to make. Just be sure the beads have big enough holes for the kids to tread. We have made the kind that have a string to go through the book with beads at both ends, and we have made the kind that have stiff metal at the bottom (thick wire pounded flat with a curvy design on the end- about as long as a pencil) with beads attached to the top to hang out of the book. We are making them again this year. We found really nice beads at Big Lots for a dollar per package. We have all the necessary supplies in individual baggies and the only help the kids need are tying the beads on. (Thanks to my mom- the crafty one in our family for giving me the great idea, and helping make them every year! :love: )

35. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 4, 2007

This is probably too advanced for 1st grade but when I was in elementary school my Sunday School teacher gave us blank colored stationary paper and envelopes and we decorated the edges of the paper.
    My mom just sent me a gift for a baby shower that she could not attend because she lives on the other side of the country. She included a note that was written on the stationary I made for her when I was little. I instantly recognized it and I got really choked up at the shower.

36. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 6, 2007

I found it!!! This is for the KIDS to fill out at school.... not to ask their mothers! I ended up doing a Mother's Day cookbook with my class this year. But hopefully it's not too late for some of you to use it.

All About Mom

My mom’s name is _____________.
    My mom is _________ years old.
    My mom weighs _________ pounds.
    My mom is __________ inches tall.

My mom’s favorite food is ______________________.
    My mom’s favorite color is ______________________.
    My mom’s favorite game is ______________________.

My mom loves to cook _______________ for my family.

In her “free time,” my mom loves to _______________
    _____________________________________________________________________________________.

My mom loves to spend time with me, especially when we _____________________________________________________________________________________.

My mom is special because ______________________
    _____________________________________________________________________________________.

Happy Mother’s Day!
    Love, ___________

37. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 6, 2007

Thanks, Miss Kirby! And DizneeTeachR. We will be crunching time but we will do them this week.

38. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 6, 2007

When you said that you made them into a book, did you have each sentence as its own page? Did they draw pictures to go with them? Did you combine the books together?

39. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 6, 2007

Miss Kirby. I copied the form you posted, but was wondering who to give credit to. I would like to post it on my own personal teacher website and like to give credit where it is due.

My other question is this: I was thinking about making homemade writing pads. We might make the paper by recycling it, but the thing I'm thinking about is making watermarks on the page using their own drawings. If I do that I'm not sure how to bind paper together to make the pad.

40. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 6, 2007

cutNglue... hmm how do you usually credit people? I'd love to see your site!

41. Youngteacher226

May 6, 2007

Miss kirby, how do you make that into a book?