Mother In Laws

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Feb 13, 2007.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 19, 2007

According to the original question...

I have a mother-in-law "to be"! She's fine to be around most of the time, there are some things I don't agree that she says/does but I only complain to my fiance about them, not her! Nothing big though, we get along just fine!

Although when my fiance and I first met, his mother and older brother talked to him to make sure he was sure I was the "right one"...which kind of offended me, but whatever I guess they were just looking out for my fiance. Little did they know, the shy person they questioned being the right one for my fiance...blossomed into who she really is after getting to know them a couple years down the line! Not everyone comes out of their shell lickity split...I'm definitely not one of them (to kids yes, adults no hehe!)

2. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2007

Absolutely anything they want......... I am the breakfast King... Want waffles, pancakes, omelets.......... you got it. How about grilling outside for dinner, yep I can do that too.

As for my FIL..... he is my hero..... has two medals for fighting in the Pacific during WWII. As a 'Nam vet myself I am humbled by him. :love:

My wife and MIL are both wonderful........:love: :love: :love:

Major :) :) :)

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2007

Wonderful!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

You are a lucky man, Major!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

I sense that your family is also lucky.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2007

No doubt about it, MrsC. I've been very blessed..

Major :) :)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

Major, today is "Fat Tuesday" for Catholics. When we were young, it was called "Pancake Tuesday"-- the last chance to eat what you wanted before Lent begins tomorrow.

I would love some of those pancakes you promised! How about warming up the griddle? Oh, and is it OK if I bring my husband and 3 kids?? :) :)

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

I was raised a Catholic and don't recall it being call Fat Tuesday. I do recall giving up candy.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

It's the whole idea behind Mardi Gras.. a big celebration before the fasting of Lent begins.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

My boss is Methodist(her husband a minister) and she always gives up her hot chocolate. I don't do that anymore...since I am not a member of a church and have "re-thought" the whole thing...and decided it's not "my thing."
    Speaking of work, good bye everyone ... I have to go to work!

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2007

You and your family are welcome.......... Would you like sausage or bacon with the pancakes? What kind of juice? Guess the Major better get busy.........

Major:) :) :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

Ohh, bacon please!!!

And any kind of juice is fine!!
    And here I thought I would have to take the crew to IHOP today!!!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

I'd forgotten about Pancake Tuesday! I've been wondering what to make for dinner tonight and I now have my answer.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

Thank you!!! After 17years, my husband still swears I made it up!!

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

Ok...being pregnant and hungry all the time, I'm converting to being Catholic just for today!!! :D Fat Tuesday here I come!!! What happens when it doesn't stop after today though...can I make up my own tradition of fat Wed, Thurs, Fri......?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

Hmmmm...Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent.

Being pregnant kind of lets you off the hook, but for the rest of us it's no meat (tomorrow on on Fridays till Easter) and fasting tomorrow.

I like your idea better.

17. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2007

if ur polish you would know about Paczki Day. or (punchee- thats how u say it! YUMMO their jelly doughnuts .

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 20, 2007

Ooooh, paczkis - Kroger is selling them right now!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday. (That's gras as in foie gras.) The tradition behind the pancakes is that one is using up the last of the fat and eggs in the house before Lent. (Why did it make sense to give up eggs? So at least some of them would hatch into hens that would give you eggs for the next year.)

In the Spanish-speaking world, it's Carnaval. No, that isn't misspelled; yes, it's where our word carnival comes from; and yes, part of it is carne as in the Spanish word for 'meat': it was the last day you got to eat meat before Lent. I've heard rumors that the fish-during-Lent thing was promoted in the Middle Ages by fishermen who thought they weren't getting enough business otherwise.

In the Anglican tradition, it's Shrove Tuesday. Shrove is the past participle of shrive 'confess': one would go to confession on Shrove Tuesday in preparation for Lent.

And boy, did I just hijack a thread...

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 20, 2007

No, I don't think you have to buy an entree, you just get 1 stack free. I saw it advertised a couple weeks ago when I went there. I'm just hoping that class will get out early tonight so I can make a pit stop on my way home! :)~ I LOVE IHOP pancakes!!

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 20, 2007

Oh, sure, I read this after cooking bbq chicken for dinner. Oh, well!

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

I'm not sure if it is all IHOPS, but here they are asking for a donation to the Children's Miracle Network. You will still get your pancakes if you don't donate, but it is a fund raiser for that organization.

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

And to keep this thread on track with MIL's.....mine makes wonderful Czechoslovakian pancakes! They are YUMMY!!!!!!! :)

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

Thanks Kinder. Take your pancakes and Lent and start a new thread you bunch of weirdos!

26. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2007

Sounds good....... what exactly are Czechoslovakian pancakes?

Major...:) :) :)

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

Major, I actually called them the wrong name.....they are SLovak pancakes, my hubby corrected me! Here is the recipe. They are like a crepe. My inlaws were from Czech. and this was a staple for them!
    http://www.catholic.org/hf/home/story.php?id=20354

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

Sorry grammy...........now, back to MIL's!!!!!!!

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2007

O.K. new question. My MIL has a lot of money. FIL passed away. The money was earned by him(she has never worked,) but that is not the point here. The problem is, she can gift out money so that the nursing home doesn't get it when she gets to that point in her life. But...you guessed it, she won't because she doesn't like two of her kid's spouses(not me, she likes me for some reason.) She doesn't want THOSE spouses to get any of the money and she also doesn't want anyone giving it to a church! So, the rest of the family is getting nothing because of this situation. What would you do if this happened in your family? Of course I am only the DIL so won't be saying anything, but the rest of the family is flipping out because the nursing home WILL get every last penny. Suggestions?

30. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 17, 2007

Does she like any of the grandkids? She could set up college funds or trust funds. Does she have a will with a relative listed as POA? Is a relative listed as administrator of the will? If she does not have a will she needs to get one written with a relative present at the time of the writing. Good Luck

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2007

She doesn't value education enough to do that. She won't choose a POA. Refuses. She won't choose anyone to be administrator of the will. She has a will with an attorney. She thinks none of this is necessary because the attorney can do it.

32. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 17, 2007

My MIL (and FIL) have similar attitudes. Their Living Trust (Will) stipulates their four sons as beneficiaries. If any son dies, the grandchildren (not the DILs) become beneficiaries. I'm sure an attorney can draft a document similar to this.

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2007

The problem is, no one will approach her with this suggestion! I can't believe this family! If it was my mom, I would say, "hey mom! how about this," etc, but they are all afraid of this woman!

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 17, 2007

Ok first of all if she goes into a nursery home she will be stuck in that one because she will be broke! Maybe you need to have a heart to heart with your husband. Which he can than do with his siblings and they can all approach her together.

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2007

I'm not sure what you mean by "she would be broke."

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 17, 2007

Well if the nursery home takes all her money won't she be broke?
    I don't understand that stuff yet (I'm not old enough, and either are my parents) :p

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2007

Yes and when it is all gone, her medicare and supplemental insurance picks up the rest. So, what it amounts to is, if she get rid of the money NOW, there will be less for the nursing home to get their hands on. As long as she has her insurance,(which she does,) she will be cared for, but if a person has money in the bank or a house(which she does,) they will take every single cent before insurance has to pay for her care. Wouldn't it make more sense to give it to her 4 kids who have catered to her their whole lives?????

38. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 18, 2007

YES, it makes senses. You need to think. Is there someone she trusts-outside family. Someone the family could talk with about the concerns who in turn can talk with her? Attorneys can rob you blind as easily as a nursing home (not all, but there are some). Would she read articles on the best way to write a will and having a family administrator etc....It is a tough one when family is afraid of the mom

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2007

She favors my husband, always has, but she "trusts" no one with her beloved money. She wants to keep it. She really likes our oldest son and he has taken her to a financial advisor and he told her what to do, but she won't. I have taken a step and emailed a couple of her kids to tell them the situation. They all agree, but are all afraid of her. It's just a sick situation. I feel bad for all of them. They are all great people with lovely families and careers, so it's not like she would be financially helping out some drug dealers!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much for your suggestions Lesley. It helps to talk and get your input.

40. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2007

Keep you m-i-l happy!!

I just burned a Diana Krall music CD for my Mom-In-Law...

Just trying to stay the number one S-N-L...:p :p :p

Major:p :) :) :)