Mother In Laws

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Do any of you "strongly dislike" your mother in laws?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2007

Nope. Mine's great!

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

What makes her great?

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 13, 2007

Yes, absolutely! She's not my mother in law yet, but I do not have a good relationship with my fiance's mother at all. Actually, he doesn't have a good relationship with his mom either. She's an alcoholic and tends to get very mean and angry when she's drunk. She has no consideration for other people and is so terrible to his grandparents (her parents) that it makes me sick....but they put up with it because she's their only child. Things are so bad that we're actually considering not inviting her to our wedding. I could go on and on, but I'll stop now! haha Just figured I'd answer your question. :)

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Oh thank you so much, Beth!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2007

I don't know... she's always thinking of us and the kids. Even when she doesn't do things the way I would prefer, I know her intent is good. She's got a great heart.

But I sense that you're dying to tell us about your MIL... so spill. What brings the subject up???

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

NOPE. I LOVE LOVE LOVE My mother in law to be.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 13, 2007

Always remember because of her (she raised a son---your wonderful husband)

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

I don't even know where to begin. Ask me a question.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

No...that doesn't fly with me. He turned out "despite" her evil ways.

12. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

I hear ya! It has taken me 20 years to undo all she did wrong raising him

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Same here, Lesley.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

My mother-in-law is great....... She's only 6 years older than me so we have a lot in common. For what is worth my father-in-law is also a wonderful. He's like a best friend.....:)

Needless to say my wife for the past 22 years is a LOT younger than me.!!!!...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Major:) :)

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

Ok what did she do today that Pissed you off?

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

Did you rob the cradle Major? LOL and I thought I was bad for going three years younger. Of course at the time I thought he was 5 yrs older than me.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

I assume you are not talking to me.......

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 13, 2007

Same here! Luckily, my fiance has a terrific dad who was smart enough to divorce the woman when my fiance was only 2. If he hadn't had his dad (and his grandparents) to help raise him properly he'd probably be a completely different person.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

She is rich.
    Helps no one.
    Her family gave her and her husband land and money before they passed away so the nursing home wouldn't get it.
    Has never worked a day in her life.
    She expects her kids to coddle to her.
    She has never done one thing for any of them.
    That is only the beginning.
    We got caller ID because of her and my husband still answers and coddles to her.
    I am sick of her and him and the whole family(except my kids)

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2007

What happened today?

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Major, so should I not be concerned if one of my sons is dating someone 9 years younger than him? Yes, of age of course!

22. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

Usually I just lurk and pick up hints and tips, but had to comment on this one! :)

My mother in law and I got along fine UNTIL I had children. All of the sudden she became totally different towards me and analyzed EVERYTHING I did. I should point out that 1. She is Greek, as in, came over on the boat Greek 2. I am Southern Baptist, as in, proud of it, homegrown southern girl. The culture differences really came out when I had my children. She wanted them baptized Greek Orthodox and I refused. They were dedicated in both churches because I feel it is their right to chose their religion. We do attend a Christian church, and they have attended Orthodox services, but the Orthodox church is 1 hour away while the Christian church is 3 minutes away. My personal thoughts are that as long as we are giving them a background in religion, she should be happy.
    We were having family pictures done one time and she told me I was well groomed. Those were her words--like I was a dog or something. We had all been planning a family trip one time, and as it got closer, my dh and I decided together that we were not going becuase of money. This was a mutual decision and we were ok about it. She mailed dh a plane ticket and hotel reservations FOR HIM TO GO!! Now, I don't even want to go to that state! She usually calls him at work instead of here. If she does call him, she will say "Hey XXXXX, may i speak to John?" It drives her nutty when she asks him something and he tells her he wants to discuss it with me. She really isn't terrible, she is just used to her culture and the wife not being "heard and seen" as much as I am. This is what her daughter explained to me. :( She buys my hubby huge Christmas gifts and I always get one of those 3 for $5 t-shirts that tourist shops sell. Seriously I do. I have a whole drawer full of Florida t-shirts. I know I should be thankful for any gift, but for every occassion, this is what I get. She stayed with us a couple of Christmas' ago, and was helping me bake and saw how bad my cookie sheets looked and threw them in the trash. Just picked them up and tossed them. I was just standing there like a deer in the headlights. She did buy me more.

I could go on and on and on. Usually when she comes, I have a bottle of wine hidden in my bedroom. :) She is getting better, I guess after 15 years, she has realized I am not going anywhere.
    I will say that this has all taught me the kind of mother in law that I WILL be! Even dh says I got the short end of the MIL stick.

This was kind of cathartic--venting about her. She is due up for a visit in a couple of weeks, so I may have things to add. :)

23. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

Hey grammy--you posted while I was typing. If my dh wasn't the only son, I would think we had the same MIL! That is a perfect description of mine! She does have sisters! Hubby isn't Greek is he??? :)

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

She called and my husband picked up the phone(we have caller ID) and talked to her for a long time...blahblahblah...and it made me so mad because HE is the one who wanted the caller ID so he could ignore her calls ... it really set me off!

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

BMAK, she is not Greek. She is not even human.

26. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

I hear you sister!

At least yours will call your house. If mine does, she will leave a message ont he machine addressing hubby and the kids. As in "Hey John, and boys........" It use dto make me mad. Now I have to laugh it off.

27. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

And everytime she visits, she tells me how bad my towels are because they don't match. I'm tempted to give her a Florida t-shirt to dry off with. :)

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

OK, JaimeMarie you got me...... I did rob the cradle.:eek:

But I'm soooo glad I did. :love: :love: :love: If one is young at heart, they are young period!

Happy Valentine's Day to you.

Major :) :) :)

29. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

How old is you son? It really depends on his age and the age of the person he is dating. So, how old is your son, how old is the girl?

(If you like send a PM.)

Major ....:)

30. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Boy do I feel lucky... both of my in laws are wonderful.... just like a second set of parents to me.

31. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

Mine use to call and say "May I please speak with_________." Does not acknowledge my existence. She raised my hubby by herself (divorced when he was 3) and once she figured out we were serious about each other she turned on me so fast my head was spinning (not that she was that nice to begin with she did not like him dating anyone). I was out to take her little boy away from her forever. She has to have everything her way and everything has to be about her. If one of the kids was sick, she was suddenly ill and needed attention right then- the pay attention to me and give me stuff, got old quickly. I don't let her near the house or the kids any more. The kids got very tired of her selfish & verbally abusive ways and are so much happier not having her around. She stopped sending gifts to the kids because she did not like the way they wrote their thank you notes! Crazy!!! The rest is similar to Grammy

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

My MIL never acknowledges my husband's birthdays...she'll even call him on the day of and won't mention it and if he says it's his birthday, she'll act surprised. Is that normal?

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Oh and the grandkids get 10.00 at Christmas if they're lucky. Did I mention she is rich?

34. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

Sounds like MIL. Then she calls and tells my hubby how terrible he is that he did not send a card for her bday, mother's day etc.....

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

All right now guys. Am I over reacting?

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

I probably spelled that wrong(over reacting) but oh well, bite me.ahaha...anyway, about card sending. I have always sent her a birthday card and did all the other holiday stuff...even remembered the little holidays like Val. Day. and she never returns or says anything...very unfeeling ... oh by the way, we do get along and have never had an argument because i just bite my tongue to keep the peace.

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Well, am I over reacting? What do you think? I need to get this all into perspective before it eats me alive.

38. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

My MIL is pretty good ...

my husband is 8 yrs older than me

39. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

No Grammy you are not over reacting at all! I do have the GREATEST in-laws ever, I love them with every inch of their being. Now my mom, when she was alive, well let's just say she was kind of like your MIL...

40. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Feb 13, 2007

I really don't like my in laws - either of them. I don't even know where to start, but they have done a lot of nasty things to both of us - including getting loans out in my dh's name w/o his permission! My father-in-law acts like another mother-in-law!

41. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

hanvan, what is it like being married to someone 8 years older than you? Does it make a difference? How old were you when you met?