Mother angry about additional security without consultation. Over-protective?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SF_Giants66, May 28, 2014.

1. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 28, 2014

On Facebook a couple months back a woman on my friends list found out that a teacher who was related to someone who was having additional security at their house for protection was also given a couple additional police officers at school for safety precautions.

She kind of flipped out over this saying she wasn't told and would have taken her kids out of school for three days if she had known this. It was mentioned briefly on a letter to parents after it happened.

I understand the desire to be informed, but that seems a bit over-protective to want to take your children out of school over that and flip out over it.

Isn't it rather normal at schools to have certain periods where they have a couple extra security officers for protection given teachers are often public figures as well and certain situations happen that call for it? I thought maybe the school didn't alert everyone over it because it is rather mainstream.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 28, 2014

We don't have any security officers period and we never had a problem that required one (at least while I've been here). All schools are different.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

I'm really confused. The teacher had a personal security detail at school? That seems weird.

5. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 28, 2014

They didn't explain to the parents everything that happened so the story has some holes.

She was married to someone that had security officers stationed at their house for a few days, so they also put 2 extra police officers at the school for 3 days and mentioned in a letter the following week.

They didn't say why she needed additional protection or anything.

6. bros

bros Phenom

May 28, 2014

The only time in my HS when we had police beyond the almost-retired cop who was there to talk to the health/drivers ed classes once a year, was when someone called in a bomb threat to the school. Instead of cancelling school like the caller wanted, they did a delayed opening and we had officers from multiple towns patrolling the halls the entire day.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

I think unless it directly impacted my child's learning, I wouldn't care. Schools will sometimes call in additional police officers for different occasions. And honestly, it really is no one else's business why she needed the security at school.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

May 28, 2014

No. That is not normal.

I understand the mother's concern. If the risk is significant that an armed security detail or bodyguards must be sent to protect the teacher from potential harm, I would want to know too. Honestly, I wouldn't want the teacher at school if the risk was that high. We jump through hoops for perceived threats because terrible things happened elsewhere. Here you have a threat significant to warrant body guards and nothing is said. I see why a parent may be angry and not want the child at school.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 28, 2014

So that teacher loses their job because someone makes a physical threat against them?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 28, 2014

Parents really need to stop flipping out over everything.

11. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 28, 2014

No doubt. The world isn't always rainbows, sunshine, and unicorn farts.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 28, 2014

Oh, but some parents think their kids fart rainbows!! (didn't you get the memo?) :lol:

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 28, 2014

I find most parents like that "flip out" a lot on Facebook, but never really act upon said flipping.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this though...the teacher's spouse needed protection, so they send a couple extra with the teacher just in case. Seems legit to me-happens on SVU all the time-and I don't really see how it's anyone's business, given that the idea is to "lay low" and not draw attention to the victim.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

May 28, 2014

Not necessarily. The agency that pays for the security guards could pay for her lost salary for those days. If it is an on-going threat, one must consider if it is fair to put all of those students at risk. It is a shame that there is a threat on her life due to her spouse, but when someone's private life require armed guards in school for protection, we must think how fair it is to the students and other staff with all of the security measures put in place for a threat that is even more minimal.

No one complained about the posters that said they didn't want to go to school or send their kids when a b o m b threat was called in and the school was already checked and cleared. Everyone thought that was fine. Here you have a credible situation that requires armed guards and it is an issue. The only difference is here you have a teacher who may have to stay home to protect the students.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

May 28, 2014

The difference is there is a known target in the school building. A threat credible enough to have officers assigned to her. There is no way 3 officers can protect a school of students. The potential for students or staff to be hurt or killed in this situation is much greater than the every day potential of a random person coming in to do harm.

The business is that danger can come wherever this woman goes - hence the guards.

16. bros

bros Phenom

May 28, 2014

From the way a2z framed it, it seemed more like a required paid vacation.

17. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 28, 2014

Lol... the differences in schools is such a surprise sometimes! We have so many security guards and police in the school that no one even notices more. They notice the 3-4 times a year drug sweeps because the dogs are there and whenever gang activity increases, we go into SWAT mode (10-15 police in full riot gear all day, students all go through metal detectors, all open containers confiscated, etc), but no one EVER complains. I would be thrilled if more protection was at my child's school!

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 28, 2014

Well, I don't want to quibble, but I don't remember the OP establishing that anyone's life was at stake. It could have been any of a hundred situations that required an extra set of eyes looking out for a person.

19. a2z

a2z Maven

May 28, 2014

I'd love to hear the types of events you feel might require armed guards for safety precautions that don't involve physical harm of the teacher.

20. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 28, 2014

The issue is that they didn't really explain why the protection was needed or what the case was, so it left others as confused as you are.

She thought they should have told them ahead of time that a teacher might potentially be in danger and they needed additional security for her.

I honestly was wondering why they ever even mentioned that they did that in the first place, but after the fact they did, and many parents freaked out over it calling the school asking why they weren't told.

Some people thought maybe putting the teacher on administrative leave for 3 days instead would have been a better idea if she was that in danger.

However, whether or not she had a right to freak out is up for opinion.

I'm wondering more of how common such a thing is where at certain times of the year they bring in a couple extra cops for a day or two. If it happens that often, then informing parents before-hand would be kind of silly.

21. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 28, 2014

Also, keep in mind that a teacher staying away from school for a few days might not really make a difference if whoever is targeting her knows where she works.

22. a2z

a2z Maven

May 28, 2014

That comment support the parents view more than anything I said or anyone else said. If someone might come to the school because she works there, the parent's view that they should know so they can remove the threat until the threat is eliminated makes more sense. While you can't stop every problem, one severe enough to cause armed guards to protect someone is probably significant enough to let parents know.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 28, 2014

The best option would have been if the security was at the school discretely so that nobody would really know about it.
    I would have hated to be that teacher knowing everyone was talking about "MY" security. People don't know when to keep their mouths shut so most of the time it is best if they don't even know.

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 28, 2014

:crosseyed

Well, again, I don't recall anyone specifically saying they were armed, other than a mention of them being police officers (which doesn't necessarily mean bearing arms), in the same sentence as calling them security.

But ok. You can probably google for yourself-unless your question was rhetorical then you probably aren't interested anyway.

Spouse is semi- or famous, in some way. Locally, regionally, short-term, or long.

Spouse is in politics.

Handling or transporting large amounts of money or valuables.

Garnering a lot of attention in some way-won the lottery, witness to a crime (which yes, could attract violence)

Taking a high-profile trip overseas.

Divorce. Family dispute. High-profile family member.

Is that a start? I really don't want to argue, I'm just sayin'...I don't see a need to throw up red flags if the entire situation is unknown...

25. a2z

a2z Maven

May 28, 2014

Actually that didn't really answer my question. Why does the wife/teacher need security? What would someone do to her? What is the danger to her? You said no one said lives were in danger, so what is the point of security.

That is what I was trying to find out. Not what instances would trigger security. It all comes down to safety, which the OP did say was a factor. Safety usually means some type of physical threat on a person. It probably isn't someone coming in the school to call her names or to record her teaching.

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 28, 2014

Ok, well then you're adding to your original request of a list of types of events that require security. Someone else can answer your new questions.

I don't know why the wife needs security. Precaution? I don't know. I just don't see how having a security detail means your life is in danger. And by extension, students' lives.

I'm not going to sit here and argue, because that is distracting from the original question. No, OP, it's not common for a teacher to have a security detail. No, I don't believe that it's cause for panic, nor do I think that teacher should be put on leave because of it. Should that person not be allowed out of the house then? Because children might be present at the grocery store? In my opinion, no. Of course, I don't know all the details, so that's all I can say with the information given.

And I'll reiterate, parents often have fits about a lot of things, especially on Facebook. In my experience, they don't often act on threats to pull kids out of school for this or that.

27. a2z

a2z Maven

May 28, 2014

I'm really not trying to argue. Apparently, I didn't ask my question well enough and started you down a particular thought process.

Oh, well.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

People also need to stop sharing EVERYTHING on fb.

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 29, 2014

My new slogan.

30. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 30, 2014

Informing parents about a security detail attached to a teacher could possibly be considered a breach of confidentiality.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 30, 2014

That's probably how the whole mess got started. Mikey's brother's girlfriend's cousin told Sally's mother's neighbor about it on FB and now the whole town is in an uproar over something that could have been not too big of a deal.

32. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 30, 2014

She saw it in a letter home to the parents. Why they didn't keep their mouths shut since it was already over and not worth upsetting parents? I don't know...

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 30, 2014

The school sent that home in a letter to parents? I have no words...:dizzy: