Most Unique thing at a Wedding?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebecca1122, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

What has been the most unique thing you have ever seen at a wedding or reception?
    There are sooo many options to make the day special and different from everyone elses, and I think some couples have come up with some really interesting things.
    Things I have seen:
    - Monarch butterflies being set free as the couple exited the church instead of throwing rice
    - These are becoming more popular but a candy bar...yum!
    - Specialty drinks named after the couple at the bar

Please share! I love wedding talk :)

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

Instead of the minister intoducing the new man and wife, the best man did it. (I wanted him to do it since he had a wonderful accent.)

4. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

My mom was the wedding planner at my god-sister's wedding. During the reception, unbeknowst to the bride and groom, we gave keys to various women and one man at the reception.:whistle: Then the maid of honor got up and said now that they are married any women with "insert groom's name" house key needs to return it. All the women started to get up and return the keys. Everyone began laughing. But he kicker was when the man got up last and brought up the key!:lol:

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

lol. I was at a wedding where they did this too. It was funny.

Here are a few things I remember that stand out:

At my best friend's wedding, instead of a guest book, she paid someone (actually my younger sister) to take polaroid pictures of people. She had this huge box of weird props like boas and hats and giant flowers that people could use to dress up. Then you could sign the bottom of the picture. They were hilarious. I still flip through that book every time I visit her.

I had another friend who met her husband at a Christian college. They had decided to not even kiss until they were married. That choice wouldn't have been for me, but it was really neat to know that that was their very first kiss and to experience that with them.

My cousin's wedding was one of the coolest I had been to. It was a very chill, laid back reception and wedding in a tent in a garden. They had old bathtubs filled with ice throughout the yard and they had beer and wine bottles in the tubs. It was neat.

I am running through a list of weddings I have been to and nothing stands out about the others. I want to have something that people remember when I get married.

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

At my wedding, we had a picture that one of my students drew of us that said Miss _______+ Mr. ___________= LOVE and we framed it and put it on our placecard table. We made personalized cookbooks as favors, and a piece of advice about marriage from my students at each seat, and oh my favorite thing...APRONS. My husband and I wore aprons while eating and then when doing the cake cutting. His was black, mine was white and had Mr. __________ and Mrs. __________ written on them.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 19, 2010

Cute :)

8. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 19, 2010

I love the you-tube video of the wedding party and the bride and groom dancing down the aisle. Makes me smile every time.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

A wedding I was at recently had specialty beers. They brewed the beer themselves and then made the labels. One was made for each of the people in the couple, and then another for their dog! It was super cute because the labels totally reflected something about their personalities.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

I went to a wedding that had a photo booth...the favor was a frame to put the photo booth pics in...it was fun!

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 19, 2010

I like favors that stand out and are useful. I went to a wedding of one of my husband's former students. Her grandfather makes a killer BBQ sauce. They served BBQ at the wedding and every guest got a small jar of sauce with labels of them on it. I loved it and my husband loved it because we don't live in the community anymore and he loved that sauce. They also had a kids favor table set up...it had dollar store toys on it for the kids to pick from.

I went to a wedding that had a large picture of the bride and groom. Everyone signed it instead of a book. The bride hung it on her fireplace when the wedding was over.

I also like it when they play a slide show while you wait for the wedding to start. That is always such an "wasted" time...and I love the distraction.

12. andi137

andi137 Companion

Aug 19, 2010

At my wedding I set up a candy buffet. I absolutely loved it. My main color was pink and I got all pink candy and put them in various glass vases. I had cute little pink chinese takeout boxes for the guests to take candy home in that had our name and date on it. I set up different pictures of us on the same table. I got so many compliments on it, but unfortunately in all the hustle and bustle there was not one picture taken of it. The only pic I have is one that I took during a trial run at my mom and dads house and that one was very plain compared to actual one I set up.

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

I LOVE that video! I just had to watch it again. It makes me cry every time. I don't think I can post a link from my phone but in YouTube search "wedding party dances to forever" and it will come up.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

I went to a wedding that was a picnic. After the ceremony they hauled out a keg of beer and we all played bocce ball and volleyball. There was also a 50/50 raffle....

15. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Aug 19, 2010

A couple of things we did at our wedding that were unique:

Instead of the traditional "who gives this woman" part of the ceremony - we found a special wording of the whole thing - and our pastor invited not only both of my parents but my husband's mom (his dad passed away a few years ago) to come forward as well. And it was more of a time for them to commit to support us as we begin a new family. we liked it since we were a little bit older (30) when we got married, and i haven't lived with my parents since I was 18! It was a lot more fitting for us - that they pledged to support us as we joined together - rather than giving me to him. :)

The other thing - people still talk about! (almost 2 years later - sept. 7th is our anniversary) So, I have an older half sister and half brother, who are quite a lot older than me and my younger brother. (my half sister was 17 when I was born) Well, they both got married when my younger brother and I were young (10 & 6) - and so we were a Jr. Bridesmaid and Ring Bearer in their wedding. My husband and I weren't planning on having any kids in our wedding party. But my younger brother (who was 26 when we got married) said to us - you know I have to be the Ring Bearer...it's tradition. So, we decided, what the heck! :) There's no rule saying the Ring Bearer has to be 5 years old - so my mom made him a little pillow for our rings - he walked (strutted and twirled actually!) down the aisle to ACDC's Back in Black - and it was HILARIOUS! I'm SO glad we did it!!

One more thing - I have a large extended family, and we were having a modest-sized bridal party (4 attendants each) - but there were a lot of people I wanted to include somehow in my wedding. (my godmother who is my aunt, my husband's mom, sister, aunts, close friends, etc.) So, I talked to about 20 people before the wedding - and they were given assigned seats a long the aisle - and our ushers had a list of their names. When they were seated, they were given a flower (a gerbera daisy - my favorite!!). When I walked down the aisle with my dad, I didn't carry my bouquet - I gathered the flowers from those special folks, and created my bouquet as I walked down the aisle. It turned out really great! My grandma had a ribbon to tie around it at the front! I had to pick a LONG song to walk down the aisle to (we used very non-traditional music in our wedding as well) - but it was great!! :)

16. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

We went to one with this too! It was great!

17. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

My son wanted something different as a guest book for his upcoming Sept. wedding. I suggested buying 2" x 2" ceramic tiles and have each guest write a word or two on it and sign their name. They are going with this idea and will make coasters and cover a tray with the tiles.

18. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

I had guests sign a Longaberger basket (the Market Basket, for those who are familiar with Longaberger) instead of a guestbook or a picture. I still enjoy reading the sweet messages our family and friends wrote. :)

We were married in October and had an autumn theme. When we exited the church, our guests threw a handful of (fake) leaves. To make sure everything was picked up, my mother-in-law got the little ones involved: the one who picked up the most leaves got $5. :p

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Instead of the flower and garter toss, we did human wheelbarrow races. The men were the wheelbarrows and the ladies held their feet. We had soooo many couples (mostly married) partake that we had 12-15 heats before there was a 'champion' couple.

I like when the wedding party does a group dance.

Consider your groomsmen being the ushers. There will be lots more ushers and it keeps the men busy :) Saves bucks too.

20. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

This is what I was going to share, too. It was very fun. We got two copies of the pics we took, and there was all kinds of scrapbooking stuff available for the copy to give to the bride and groom.

At the end of the wedding, the pages were all placed in a book and presented to the b and g at the 'morning after breakfast.'

The b and g also made their own to use on their thank you cards. There were six shots, so they held up five pieces of paper spelling out T- H- A- N- K YOU. It made the thank you note special and a reminder of the fun we had in the booth.

21. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Thats very cute!

The couple that did this had their invite in a photo booth strip and they held up We're in the first pic Getting in the 2nd and Married in the 3rd SO it was a cute invite that foreshadowed on what was to come

Also the company provided the bride and groom with a CD of all of the pics that were taken in the photo booth and the bride later posted the album on FB..so cool to see all the silly things people did!

Another couple that did this was given a link to an online album by the company that provided the photo booth

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

My sis did the the Thank you... She held Thank & he the You. It was cute. They also did the pic thing at the reception.

Too funny about the older brother!!!

Our friend is a cop & came in & handcuffed my sis & bil!!! It was pretty funny. The pix are too cute!!!

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2010

My sister's wedding was very traditional in many ways, but very unique (as is fitting...my sister and brother-in-law dance to their own tune).

Instead of a guest book, they had a large, pre-stretched canvas placed on an artist's easel. They had acrylic paint pens, and the guests signed the canvas. They have it framed now, hung on a wall in their home.

Their favors were sort of traditional. They had decorated tins filled with chocolate covered coffee beans. Well, the tins, instead of having some dime a dozen picture on them, with their names and date, had a portion of one of my bil's paintings on it. This particular painting, in full, depicts my sister, my bil, and a a couple other of their close friends riding off into the sunset on the backs of turtles. My bil used the portion of the painting showing just themselves, and had it put onto the tins.

24. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Last summer my husband and I had a 1940s themed wedding. We went all out and everyone loved it. They said it was different from all other weddings they had been to. here's how we made it special--

1. My dress was from the 1940s, and then I changed into a 40s swing dress to dance in during the reception (since it's difficult to swing dance in a gown!). My whole look was from then, you'll see.

2. Limo from the 1930s.

3. We hired swing dance instructors to teach everyone how to swing dance before we began.

4. We hung ww2 posters around (positive ones, not scary or sad ones!)

here are a couple pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

Nice pics!

26. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 20, 2010

Rachael84 - your pics look like something from a movie! I love this idea! Congratulations on your unique-ness!

I had the most traditional of weddings...the only thing I can think of that would be considered unique is that my father in law walked me down the aisle. My father passed when I was 12. I fell in love with my fil to be long before our wedding, and since he was the closest person I had to a "father" and would be filling that role in a sense anyways, that is what we went with. It was a really special moment.

27. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 20, 2010

Thats really sweet SMK. One of my favorite moments of that day was walking down the aisle with my dad. He wore his full dress uniform, and I loved it. My dad isn't a real tux kind of guy. So wearing a dress uniform was perfect!

28. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 20, 2010

We also named the tables after things that were important to us, like the college I graduated from, our dog, etc. We used blank greeting cards as our table names. One side explained the name of the table, and the other had a picture of it.

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 20, 2010

My wedding was pretty traditional, but we did a few things that were different:

My sister in-law was my hubby's "best woman." His mom and grandparents thought it was so strange at first when we told them she was going to stand up for him, not me. Everyone commented on how sweet it was, though.

Our guest book was a photobook of engagement pictures we took. The pages were black and the guests signed in silver marker.

Our favors were LiveStrong bracelets. My father in-law had lung cancer and passed away 10 months before the wedding. He always wore his bracelet and used to give them out to people, so it was our way of remembering him.

My dad's birthday was 3 days before the wedding, so after our first dance I had a waiter bring him his piece of cake on the dance floor and the dj lead everyone in singing happy birthday to him. He was so embarrassed. haha