Most popular classroom job?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by japanesemacaque, May 3, 2010.

1. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

May 3, 2010

If you have a "job chart" and have your children choose their jobs every morning, I have a question for you.

What is your most popular job? Mine is "gate opener". It used to be "door holder", but that job was so popular that I added "gate opener" to assauge the popularity. Gate opener opens the back gate to the playground for the class. Since I started it, it has become so popular that I've added another one, and also "gate closer". The problem is, this job is still extremely popular that it inevitably causes some kind of friction between children every morning.

I'm wondering if it's just my class, or are "door holder" type jobs popular everywhere. Also, does anyone have any cute creative jobs?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 4, 2010

For several years, "teacher helper" was the much preferred job... they did anything I needed help with, or could sub a job if someone was absent or left early... one year, they were the ones who took the name cards out of the pocket chart after centers.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 4, 2010

In my class it seems to be line leader.

5. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 4, 2010

I have jobs, but the kids don't get to pick...I just go down the list in alphabetical order by first names. Everyday, the list moves up a notch, and you have a new job. But line leader is the most popular in my classroom. ( and I still hear whining -"why am I never the line leader?")

6. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

May 4, 2010

I have enough jobs for each child to have one.

My students also move one job over each week on the job chart. This is a great pre-reading skill as one they understand the chart they can see how long until they get the job they want, that when you reach the end of the row you go back to the begining on the next row, and all their classmates names and the job names (Button and Becky have the same letter!)
    The most popular jobs in my classroom are cart helper (pushes the breakfast/lunch cart back to the kitchen), button pusher (pushes the button to open the outside door), I love You Rituals Helper (chooses which I love You Ritual we do-see Becky Bailey's site www.consciousdiscipline.com/ if you are not familiar with these connecting songs they are wonderful for positive behavior), and calendar, weather, days in school as they are done on the active board.

We talk about how all the jobs are important to making our school family run well and that you need to try lots of things to know what you like and don't like.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

May 5, 2010

I also use a daily job board. Every child has a job and the jobs are rotated each day. The most popular jobs are line leader and snack helper.