Most of you probably are not aware of *this* attitude among kids

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers Archives' started by IAMdoneSubbing, Nov 16, 2009.

1. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 16, 2009

First, I should state that I am originally from SE Asia but am Indian descendant. At different ages, I have been mistaken for many different ethnic groups including South Americans. The only time I have been mistaken as Mexican is by Mexaicans or Mexaican descendants until I started subbing. But still, most non Mexican descendants realize right away that I'd not speak spanish.

In all cases, what I noticed with these kids of different grades, esepcially with the ones wanting to give commotion- I am basically referring to middle schools grades - is that the moment they found out that I am from Asia, they stopped trying to behave like that and after hearing that I am Indian descendants, they seem to completely mellowed out in some way.

I have suspected that it's basically to be more disrespectful if the sub is a Mexican or Hispanic, but today, I have no doubt left with my experience with classes where the overwhelming majority of the kids were Mexicans descendants.

Isn't that awful how these kids are just like the majority of human population?

Of course, not all are mean and some may even says kids are just being kids but I say that it's the genes of our species to just find weak targets in society to attack and have joy about doing it.

I feel awful to think about these kids this way but the reality is that when they grow up, they'd just be like the majority of the human population and it is a fact. In fact, they might veen be worse then today's parents who do not discipline their children the right way.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2009

There are some cultural rivalries between Mexicans and South Americans (ie. Guatemalans). Also, some Mexicans and South Americans are raised to believe there is a difference (I think a class difference) between lighter skinned and darker skinned Latinos.
    So ... if the kids initially think you are of a particular Latino descent ... they may be making prejudicial judgments about you, then dropping them when the discover you're from an entirely different country.

I'm certainly not making excuses for their way of thinking, but unfortunately these beliefs are culturally entrenched and may take a few generations to disappear.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2009

Wow, lots and lots of generalizations.

I'm not sure that your particular experiences, valid though they might be, speak for "the majority of the human population."

Nor that Mexicans or Mexican-Americans are "weak targets" in our society or elsewhere.

Nor that the behavior of adolescents translates into poor discipline at home.

5. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 17, 2009

I was slightly aware of the possibility of perceived difference between lighter skinned and darker skinned Latinos and in fact, last Spring, when I was subbing a 5th grade in the same school district, i.e. Hispanic majority are, during the class time, two kids were getting back at each other slandering about their mothers - I didn't hear all of it as I only realized what's happeneing when one got loud and said "your mom's a slxt or something like that" - and also, one was giving back saying, "I am not Mexican; I am Puertorican". It made me sad to see that children that young, behaving like that OPENLY, obviously imititating the adults in their home environments.

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

That is really sad but their mindset and behavior can be changed!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2009

That's not what I said. I called it a generalization to say that poor behavior of adolescents translates into poor discipline at home.

I started teaching in 1980. I've taught lots and lots and lots of siblings over the year-- raised by the same parents in the same homes with the same discipline. Very often, different kids from the same background have made different choices.

Nicole is currently a Sophomore, in all Honors classes. Her brother is unlikely to make it through 8th grade without being thrown out of school.

Rob is currently a Junior. He's a member of the football team, a good student, and a wonderful kid-- liked by this peers and the faculty alike. His twin brother didn't make it through freshman year; he failed 3 or 4 classes because he chose not to take notes, not to bring his books to class, not to write anything on tests, sometimes not to attend class.

Eddie and Travis are twins, currently in my freshman homeroom. Eddie has had to see me a number of times this year because of his behavior; Travis never has.

Kids, particularly adolsecents, decide how they'll behave. In my experience, sophomore year is the time when most decide on a persona and stay with it for a while. (And, yes, that was a generalization. Some decide earlier, some decide later. Most seem to decide sophomore year.) Prior to that point, their behavior vascillates a lot from one day to the next.

Of course upbringing has to enter into the equation. But so does free choice. That's why I used the word "generalization."

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 27, 2009

“Until justice is blind to color, until education is unaware of race, until opportunity is unconcerned with the color of men's skins, emancipation will be a proclamation but not a fact.” LBJ

Tell them in no uncertain words that the color of your skin has nothing to do with the content of your character.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

Wise words.

10. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Dec 12, 2009

With the human population, I didn't mean it's about race/ethnicity. I meant about the behavior to pick on people based on preconceived notion or without preconceived notion.

I have dropped strict political correctness a few years (in places I don't have to be, i.e. like here).

Well, they obviously were not diciplined enough to keep their little prejudice in their heads. As an Indian descendant family (of wealth) in an a SE Asain country, I'd be frank to admit that we didn't grow up tinking highly of the indeginous for their way of eating habits, their clealiness pattern, etc. But still, as children, we never revealed our belife to them. Once in ninth grade, a friend (classmmate) sitting next to me put a piece of her beef into my lunch and I stpped eating altogether - we all brought our lunch; I am not a vegetarian and in fact a beef lover - though I didn't say anything to her.

11. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Dec 12, 2009

And I proclaim that prejudice of some from will always remain a fact with groups of people of this species:)

I do without using the term color or race.