Most "Inarticulate Generation"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 27, 2010.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

http://vimeo.com/3829682

Watch this video - it's about the way young people speak these days and how they need to change it to sound credible.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

I LOVE it!!!

I just emailed it to the English Department chair at my school!

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

Outstanding!!!!! That's was terrific! It was so good, that I forwarded it to several of my friends, whether they are in education or not. Thank you!

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

It was an excellent message, and a very well-done project on typography, you know?

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2010

Excellent-thanks for sharing. I sent it to my sister who teaches college and complains about this all the time-the sad thing is they even write like that sometimes-with the "you knows" in their essays (which those of you who teach hs probably see as well).

I just saw a segment yesterday with Miley Cyrus on Regis and Kelly-they had a counter going-she said "like" 18 times and "you know" 20. Those segments are usually less than 10 minutes-so sad, that's the role model these kids have.

7. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

So like I enjoyed it so much, I like sent it to several friends, you know?

Great! Loved it.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

Thanks for sharing!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

Yes, I saw this as well on The Soup. Insane.

10. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

Great! I love that!

11. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 27, 2010

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

13. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

Like, totally loved this as well! ;) Definitely forwarding this on Facebook!

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

:yeahthat:

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

That was fantastic.
    I think Taylor Mali is super talented.

16. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

guilty as charged.

17. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

As a Toastmaster, filler words are no-nos. Young people using "like" in conversation (aside from the dictionary definitions) as a filler word drives me nuts. Ms. Cyrus uses it as often and in the same manner as Tony Soprano uses the F-bomb. My wife unfortunately uses "you know" all the time.

18. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jun 28, 2010

I don't know... Gen X isn't much easier to understand.

I know a guy who's running for a high-ranking public office... he's extremely intelligent, but he's an "um"er. I used to be a "like"r but after a lot of hard concentration I broke the habit (someone pointed it out to me, which kind of kicked off my desire to get over it.) It's painful to listen to him speak sometimes, because every third or fourth word is "um".... I want to give him a little coaching but I also don't want to offend him.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

Back when Arnold was running for governor, I was forwarded a link (lost now) that played back the top government officials' speeches with all the real words taken out - it only played the filler words like Uh, Um, Er, Eh. The purpose was to show a tone in the person's speech. It was really interesting. Um is not a generational thing though, it's a cross-generational vice.

20. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

Loved it! It was, like, you know, groovy or something?

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

In fairness to the youth of today, we must admit that this is NOT a new phenomenon. Sure, the details have changed.

But there's a reason that it's a compliment when President Reagan was referred to as "The Great Communicator." The vast majority of people do a pretty poor job of public speaking.

The difference is that, with modern technology, we're so much more aware of it now.

That said, the interragotive (sp) lilt to a sentence DOES make me crazy. When I was coaching speech and debate, I had to remind kids over and over again: your voice goes DOWN at the end of a sentence!!!

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 28, 2010

As far as I'm concerned, I never heard the term "like" widely used until the release of Valley Girl by Moon Zappa (yes, Frank's daughter). EVERYONE in my suburban Philly elementary school wanted to talk like her to be cool, and we were ruined forever.

23. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

Modern technology - I'm just wondering if that has also affected young people's ability to communicate. When folks text each other rather than talk directly to each other. Or if all that time playing video games rather than talking.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

Oh, the texting/ cell phone thing just makes me crazy.

If you're with me, and your wife isn't about to go into labor, coul you do me a favor and turn the thing off??? I think it's the height of rudeness to interrupt a conversation with me to check and see who has just called or texted.

And, for the record, that's the reason I hate call waiting-- it's the same principle.

25. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

Given that Valley Girl was nearly 30 years ago, I am pretty astonished to see how much of its influence has lasted to this day.

26. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for the information. I was just about to post a discussion for tips on teaching vocabulary. I hope I can get some good advice. I plan to use the video in my lesson plans. Thanks. :thumb:

27. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

15 years ago (when I was in middle/high school) we were just as guilty of irritating speech - "Ohmigawd, like, do you know what Sherry freakin said? Ohmigawd, she is, like, so freakin annoying and stuff. Ya know? Yesterday, she was like, 'I freakin hate math class, ya know?' And I was like, 'whatever.'" So I can't come down on teenagers too hard. Having said that, when I have students come into my classroom and tell me that something was "like stupid" my response is typically "So, it's unintelligent? Or is it uneducated?" The response is typically "What?" and I have to explain that if they want to complain or discuss something, they need to tell me what it IS, not what it's LIKE. I'm attempting to change the teenage vernacular one class at a time!!!

28. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 1, 2010

I often do the same thing while subbing and made an even more focused effort during my ST. I have always been entranced by the power of words. It began in elementary school. I always tried to expand my vocabulary. My parents subscribed to Reader's Digest and It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power was often the first section I read.

During my ST, I used an incredible variety of words to describe situations or events in the classroom. One day when the students insisted on talking among themselves while I was presenting the lesson, I told them "There was a veritable cacophony of noise in the room". I used different words so often, it became almost a daily challenge. The students were required to find new vocabulary words from outside sources as part of their weekly assignment in Social Studies, so I provided a steady stream of words to assist in their efforts.

Finally, one girl asked me point blank one day "Mr. Cerek, WHY do you talk like that and use such big words?" I said "Words and knowledge carry a great deal of power. The more words you know, the more powerful you become when communicating with others. Do the words I use make me sound more intelligent to you?" They all nodded their heads. I continued, "It doesn't mean I really AM more intelligent than any of you, it just means I've dedicated much of my time learning new words so I have a more extensive vocabulary available when I want to express my opinions, views, ideas or knowledge. Each of YOU has the same potential to achieve this powerful means of communication yourself. All it requires is a little bit of effort. You can become as powerful as you wish. The only limitations are those you place on yourself."