most important filing categories?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher_cc, Jul 23, 2008.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I went to staples and bought a pack of hanging folders and file folders. What are the important categories to keep in mind when creating a filing system? Also, how do you keep your filing cabinet/system organized? This new teacher needs all the help she can get!

some categories I have so far are district info, school info, field trips, assessment ideas, professional development.....

am i on the right track? THANKS!!!!!!!!!

3. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

For math and English, I organize by chapters in the text book. For reading, I go by stories. For writing, I go by mini lessons and traits. I also have my theme units organized (ex. polar bears, Christopher Columbus, habitats, states of matter, communities etc.) That way, when I teach the chapter/story/theme I can pull out all of the info. It also makes it easier to put new ideas in the file. I have found this way to be very helpful and saves time. I also have some organized by skills/strategies (inferences, predicting, sequencing, etc.) especially for reading. I hope this helps!!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 23, 2008

I have two folders for each month-activities and activity sheets. If I need to make an after-test packet or have some morning work, I can quickly grab a month-appropriate activity sheet from my file and copy it. If I want a more hands-on art project or game, I look in the activities folder.

Example:
    September Activity Sheets
    September Activities
    October Activity Sheets
    October Activities....

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 23, 2008

I have a hanging file for each student. In each hanging file are three folders. One for information/contact, one for any notes and signed forms they bring, and one for tests. I keep a copy of any test they take and a copy of standardized tests. When I have a conference I pull thier hanging file.
    I also have "Forms" on a hanging file and inside it i have a file for each kind of form like feild trip permission, uniform violation, etc.
    For my lessons I color code the hanging files. Green is science, Blue is social studies and so on. I have one of each color labeled by topic. So if I have lessons for the moon they would be in green hanging folders and labeled moon. I also keep a few file folders on my desk in one of those standing organizers they are to file, to copy, to distribute, and to read. I also have folders labeled with the days of the week in there for my lessons and copies for each day. Hope that helps.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 23, 2008

Monthly files
    Subject files, one subject per file drawer, with files for topics
    Student files

I also have:
    Student contact info
    BB (for small items to use on BBs)
    Note cards
    Professional/employment
    Coloring pages (mosaic designs, etc.)
    Bookmarks
    Stickers
    Labels

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

I organize them alphabetically. The teacher next door organizes her file drawer by the themes she encounters throughout the year-starting with September and everthing that will be taught in Sept. and then October, etc....
    I don't care for her system because I can never find things in her file cabinet (she tells me just to go and grab what I need).
    Each person will develop their own system that works for them!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2008

Try different ones and see what works for you.

I have my file cabinets organized by unit . . . one unit per drawer. Inside the drawers everything is organized chronologically.

Student files are organized alphabetically by class period.

My other files are labeled with whatever makes sense for me that year. Typically it's team, department, council, to do, to file, and everything else. People laugh at my "everything else" file, but it gets a lot of use.

9. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

I teach 8th grade science and I have folders for all ten of my objectives with folders inside for tests handouts and worksheets so everything is nice and organized.
    I also have a folder for each student and by each class period.
    I also have folders on a stand up organizer for office papers to be fill out, to be filed, to be printed, contacts, etc...

10. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I color code by subject and then file by Strand (part of our state coding).

So in science I have

Scientific Inquiry
    Scientific Technology
    Ecology
    Earth Systems...

This way I'm only keeping things for GLE's that I teach (cuts down on excess papers) and when I go to plan I can just pull one file.

Reading is filed by story

11. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

What is the difference between your subject files and monthly files? I've noticed that some ppl file by month, and within each month you have your subjects as you would teach throughout the year so they are in chronological order.

I'm a new teacher, so I want to be ahead of the game w/ filing and I am trying to figure out which way I will like best. So if you file your monthly files and subject files seperatly what goes into your monthly files?

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

I've tried so many different ways of filing. What I do now which basically works for me is monthly files for the stuff I generally get to in the same order every year... Then my big units in Science and SS have separate files (rainforest, rocks, plants, space, geography, etc) My math I GENERALLY do in the same order every year so that's in monthly and LA I don't have a lot that needs to be filed...I do RW, WW so I have graphic organizers, etc on my computer for that.

13. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

In the past, I have had a file drawer for each subject with topic files arranged alphabetically, and in some cases chronologically.

However, I have never been able to keep up with the filing (everything seems to just pile up on my desk), so this year, I am going to file everything into binders, which are easier for me to keep organized. If I keep my filing cabinets, I will only put stuff in them that don't fit in binders well or that I rarely need.

14. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 24, 2008

I'll definitely be watching this thread. I started last year 7 days into the school year as the teacher retired. She was a serious packrat. Throughout the year I never went through the filing cabinets. I wanted to but they were packed full and I always found other things to do. Anyway, I went in today and threw away 98% of the cr@p in those cabinets - 6 garbage bags worth. Now I'm starting fresh and it feels good! I just don't know what system to use for my stuff so I'm watching this thread.

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

This thread ties into a thread I started regarding a 10-drawer mobile organizer that is on sale this week. It's a nice chrome & plastic organizer that can be moved around & I am wondering whether I should invest in this. Since it has 10 drawers, it may be practical for use for monthly activities. Do you think this would work?

I'm also a new teacher & I am trying to find an effective way for organizing.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I did this last year, using 1/2" or 1" view binders. It's much easier for me to grab my Macbeth binder and flip through the pages than it is to dig through a file folder. Plus, I got to waste some time creating the perfect graphic for the cover of each binder! ;)

17. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I do the same thing! I have binders for my subjects and I put my lesson plans, worksheets, etc. in plastic sheet covers then in the binders. I also arrange my binders according to the state objectives.

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

Monthly filing would drive me crazy because my district changes the order we teach things on pretty much a yearly basis.

I have one drawer for math, organized by Grade Level Indicators (patterning, sorting, etc.). I have one drawer for language arts. My letter things (I teach K) are in folders by letter and then folders for digraphs, etc. and then by theme or topic (Eric Carle, nursery rhymes, sequencing...). Then I have two drawers that are science and social studies mixed together alphabatized by theme (colors, holidays, presidents, senses, etc.).

I have one drawer of administrative files. Bus info, assessments, computer, evaluations, buddies... I know I can't list everything from memory.

My first year I started after school had already started and never set up files. I ended up with one giant "to be filed" file cabinet. I lugged it all home over the summer and sorted it out, settling on my current filing system.

I've tried the notebook before, and had all of my materials organized by quarter. It just didn't work for me. I'm bad about putting things back into my filing cabinet right away. I'm even worse about putting them back into the notebook.

19. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Filing . . .the curse of being a teacher. I am still trying to figure out what the best method is for me - each June I tell myself "No More Huge Disorganized Piles!!!". Good intentions, but then the day flies by!!!

I spent 2 straight days organizing my files - here what I have so far . . . My math I actually have in binders according to chapters/strands. I find it a lot easier to just pull the binder off the shelf and teach from it.

My individual novel studies are in files, as are major themes. My writing (6+1) resources are in a binder (that's how I was inservice for it).

Then there are miscelleous files that I end up pulling out the most often - beginning of school, report card comments, collabrative learning, etc.etc.etc.

The best thing that I did last year was get stand-up plastic folders - 4 of them, that I labeled "To be Filed", "To be Sorted", 'Blackline masters (this had things like attendence sheets, lunch orders etc.) and "Admin" (that's all the stuff I had stuck in my mailbox that I didn't find a permanent home for!).

Good luck!!!

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I just put all of my papers into files. It's my second year, and last year I didn't have any type of filing system because I came into a classroom with a full file cabinet and I didn't know what to get rid of! I'm still completely unorganized this year. I have way too many categories for files, but I figure it's better than having none like last year! Each year I'll try to make it a little better.

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I have three files for each class: Not graded, To be inputted and Pass back. It gives me a way to organize the bunches of paper I have on hand at any given time. I also have one file for each class that I plan to use in conjunction with sticky tabs for parental contact forms such as the signed syllabus, progress reports and anything that was sent home to be returned signed.

22. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

That's a great idea! I may end up doing something like that. :)

23. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I also keep a file for "to be copied/laminated" for when I see things and need to obviously copy/laminate but not right at the moment!

24. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

I also have a file for forms (photo permission, okay to medicate, field trip, release of information), a behavior file with ideas and froms, a medical file (lice, sore throat, policy on fever & vomitting, asthma/diabetes/toileting record charts). Just thinking: a grant file, professional development plan file, a file for trainings I've attended, a file of professional information (copy of license, certification for first aid & restraints, etc.). My subject files are alphabetized in another file cabinet according to subject (all about me, Hungry Caterpillar, snow, etc.) and I have a rolling cart with 2 drawers with alphabet files, word family files, and spelling stuff.