Most expensive shoes you ever bought?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jun 12, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 12, 2016

This probably goes for anything, what would you consider to be an extreme amount of money for a pair of shoes? I've never spent more than $130 on shoes I think? But I saw some shoes that looked sweet... but it was like $350! Anyone here ever spent that kind of dough on some shoes (i.e. these are casual, dressed-up or down).

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2016

I have A LOT of shoes...some expensive, some not so at all. I haven't spent $350 on a pair, but I do have some very expensive ones that I got on sale!

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jun 12, 2016

I'm super cheap when it comes to shoes. I rarely spend more than $20-40 on shoes and I'm a big payless girl. Shoes to me wear so quickly and I get sick of them, so I choose not to invest in them. I will spend a little bit more on boots and that is it. I choose to spend more money on purses with the most recent one being over $200.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 12, 2016

My feet look normal until you look at x-rays so I can't wear some styles that I would like or any shoes with inadequately squishy soles. I hate shoe shopping because of that.

So I tend to spend more than I'd like on shoes because the cheap ones always hurt! But, I can't see spending three hundred on a pair of shoes. One hundred fifty would probably be my max, but they'd have to look great and feel like marshmallows. I did spend forty bucks on some flip flops recently. Don't tell the hubs. He wouldn't get it. :)

6. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 12, 2016

I am a payless girl as well :D Never spent a lot on shoes of any kind BUT i have one pair of UGG boots.....which I still wear to this day alllllllllllll winter long.....most expensive footwear I've ever bought $240 and they were so worth it, fashionable and keep my feet toasty warm!!!!

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 12, 2016

$40 is probably my max. I would rather have a large variety of shoes!

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 12, 2016

I firmly believe that with shoes you get what you pay for. The cheap ones wear out quickly so I'd rather have a few nice pairs that last than to constantly be replacing poor quality foot wear. I'm always on the hunt for good deals, though!

bella84, yellowdaisies and czacza like this.
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2016

I used to wear cheap shoes all of the time; after suffering through plantar fasciitis for the better part of a year, I started investing a little more in the shoes I wear the most.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2016

My dress shoes (for school) tend to almost always be $40-$50. I buy my "tennis shoes" from REI (basically hiking shoes), as I always get the same one and they last forever (well, 3+ years, on average). They're about $100 (give or take).

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2016

I, too, have bad feet, with bones where they aren't supposed to be, and a metal rod in one foot. I hate achy feet with a passion, and I know that a lot of what is cute will not work for me. Shoe shopping is depressing and frustrating - what may feel OK in the morning is unbearable by afternoon. I have greatly narrowed down the manufacturers that fairly consistently make shoes I can tolerate. Those shoes routinely cost about $150-$200. I buy them on sale when possible, but mostly just bite the bullet and know that my choices are limited and these shoes will mean that I am still walking at the end of the day. It isn't about beauty, but about the health of my feet and my comfort.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2016

I know someone told my mom once you should pull out the insole & get one that fits your feet.

I do not spend a lot on our shoes. In fact one of the local store carries New Balance &some others & they have buy one get one for $1 occasionally so I get a couple pairs then. Lol. I do have a couple pairs of lacer boots I have bought that were little over $100, but I still wear them.

13. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 12, 2016

I buy shoes at a range of price points from Target to department store sales. I don't usually spend more than $40 except for running shoes and the occasional pair of high quality work shoes. I do pay attention to how they're made and comfort even for cheap shoes. Even with Target sandals, there is a range as far as comfort goes.

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 12, 2016

Definitely a pair of Uggs that I bought in college, and they're still good, so I guess it was worth it? Although I don't wear them as often as I used to.

But I am contemplating on getting a pair of Tieks ($175!!!! ahh) since all the reviews are so good.

15. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 12, 2016

Oh! I just remembered my Rainbow flip flops. They are pricey but WORTH IT. I wear them constantly at home and over the summer. So comfortable.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2016

Bought a paIr of Tory Burch flip flops thus season for about $50...more than you'd pay for any pair of flip flops....

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2016

Whether I'm buying casual or work shoes, I generally don't spend more than $100.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 12, 2016

If you get some, post about it. I've thought about trying them but buying shoes online is tricky for a bad foot girl!

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 13, 2016

I have hard to fit feet (size 10.5), and they're super sensitive, so I am willing to spend more on shoes than I do on just about anything else (clothes, purses, etc) because it's so hard for me to find anything that works. I can't do cheap shoe stores because I can rarely find anything over a size 10, and they're just not comfortable enough anyway. I have a few pairs of Naots (work shoes and a pair of sandals) that were $140-$180 each. It's worth it to me because they last and they're comfortable. I have very few pairs of shoes, and I mostly buy them online (Amazon or Zappos - both offer easy returns and quick shipping). I'd rather have less pairs of quality shoes.

For casual shoes, I typically buy Vans and Rainbows (flip flops). They're a lot cheaper than the Naots. ;) I'm going athletic shoe shopping in a couple days - I can usually get those for $60 or so. Sneakers come in a much bigger range of sizes usually and are actually created to be comfortable, so I can actually find them in a store.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2016

As I've gotten older, my feet have become more high- maintenance and thus my shoes far more expensive - $150 or more.

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2016

I'll spend whatever I need to get shoes that don't make my back worse and are stylish. It's harder since I'm vegan. I suppose I've spent $300 on shoes. I don't buy disposable things though--I'd rather pay more and buy something once.

I did just spend $85 on some cute purple jelly Coach sandals. That was probably excessive, but it's nice to be able to buy cute shoes for a change.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2016

My dad always said always get good shoes since your feet are your foundation. Lol!!!

23. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 13, 2016

I read that they have great customer service and they will send you another size to try on if the pair you bought doesn't fit, and you are allowed to keep both pairs for up to 2 weeks (but you can not leave the house with them) before you have to return one & they will charge you for the second pair.
    My friend said, "I have a couple of pairs! They're cuter in person! Super comfy and my feet don't hurt after teaching all day."
    But they are expensive so I'm going to wait until it's closer to the first day of the new school year before I splurge on one. I'm not sure which color I want since there's so many! I will definitely post about them when/if I get them!

teacherintexas likes this.
  24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 13, 2016

I've looked at Tieks too, but they're just so FLAT. I have issues with most ballet flats - they hurt. Do Tieks have any support at all? Not trying to be critical - I think they're super cute! I just assume they won't work for me because I tend to need more support.

25. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 13, 2016

The soles are supposed to be super comfortable but I don't think there's any support for your arch.
    What I like to do with my cheap/uncomfy flats is buy a size up and put arch insoles in them.

26. JeniD

JeniD Rookie

Jun 14, 2016

I've spent 150+ on running shoes and riding boot (well more than 150 on my riding boots for horse shows) however I've never spent that much on my casual dress shoes.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2016

I wouldn't go for those flat shoes. They might be comfortable but I don't see how they would have any support. I guess some people are fine with it depending on their foot and arch.

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 15, 2016

I have always felt the same way about Toms. They were SO popular for awhile, so I tried a pair on. Just couldn't do it. SUPER uncomfortable for me. My extremely picky feet force me to buy quality shoes, so I've never been able to go with trends.

29. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 15, 2016

My feet love Toms. They are the most comfortable shoes I own. I even bought Toms nepal boots a year later

30. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 15, 2016

Thankfully your feet don't hate you. ;) Mine are constantly at war with me - LOL

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2016

That's one reason I usually don't order shoes online. Some shoes just rub the wrong way. I do have a pair of silver ballet flats that I only wear if I know it will be for a short time or if I'll be sitting most of the time. They are so cute but they are just toooo flat. Even my slippers have an elevated sole.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2016

As for the original question, I don't recall ever spending a huge amount of money on any particular shoes but I do spend a higher amount on sneakers since I tend to wear them until they fall apart since I do a lot of walking.

33. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jun 16, 2016

I have a few pairs I've spent $120-150 on, running sneakers and snow boots to name a few. I don't think I have ever spent more than that on shoes. I would not buy shoes for $350 but that's a personal choice.

34. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 16, 2016

I just find a brand that fits me and I like and ONLY order that online. ;) That's what I do with Naots. Ordering online is because of my size, anyway. So few places stock 10.5s, it's ridiculous.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2016

A student's family gave me a beautiful pair of wedge sandals as an end of year gift. They retail for around $130. :)

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 17, 2016

That's a good idea. I usually have luck with Sketchers so that would probably be a brand I'd attempt to order online.

37. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 17, 2016

My riding boots were likely close to $500, but I don't recall for sure.

In normal wear, $100 is my max for everyday shoes. However, I'll spend a lot more on running shoes if I have to (Max $130 so far) because it's just so important to have good shoes!

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2016

There were some knee-high, black leather boots I had wanted for a while & Nordstrom just happened to be the store that had the closest style I was looking for. They were $350. I got them.

39. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Jun 19, 2016

I've spent a little over $100 each for running shoes and hiking shoes. Normally I spend around $50 for Toms since I wear them pretty much every school day and $20ish for sandals in the summer.

40. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 19, 2016

My feet hate me (flat feet, plantar fasciitis), but they love Bobs! They look similar to Toms but have a super cushy insole! Cheap too!

41. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 6, 2016

Today was the first day of school!
    After half the day, my feet were dying (I even had insoles in my shoes)
    So I splurged today and ordered a pair of Tieks!
    Seriously, I can not find one bad review so I thought, why not. They've got great customer service & I can easily return or exchange them soooooo..
    They should arrive in the next few days :) I'll post about them later.
    I got the Feather Grey ones; I figured they'd match the most outfits/colors :)

teacherintexas likes this.