Most embarrassing moment teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistTchr, Jul 30, 2012.

1. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

The "craziest first day" thread got me to thinking about my most embarrassing moments as a teacher. There are two that immediately come to mind:

1. One day I was walking down an aisle checking students' homework, and didn't notice that one of my students had her white binder on the floor. (Our floor tiles are white, too.) I stepped and slipped on the binder and went right down to the ground in front of my entire class. I got right up, and everyone in the class looked like they wanted to laugh, but were holding it in. I said, "It's ok--you can laugh. It was funny." and then everyone burst out laughing. When the girl whose binder I slipped on was a senior, she wrote about the experience in her senior write-up in the yearbook. I told her that I was so glad that that's what she took away from my class! :lol:

2. The other story happened with a student in my AP class--although this might more so be her most embarrassing moment in school. My students had projects due for me in a couple of days and some of them had been emailing me their work throughout the process. I was checking my school email before lunch one day and found an email from someone from that class. It read something like this:
    Dear Joey, (by the way, my name is Joe)
    I'm sitting in study hall right now and I'm bored. I finally finished my history project! I'll talk to you later.
    I love you,
    Sara
    :eek:
    Needless to say, I was stunned when I saw this, and couldn't imagine what was going through the girl's head to act so inappropriately. She was in the top 5 of her graduating class, and it seemed so uncharacteristic of her. By chance, I ran into her minutes later, and I said, "Um, I just got an email from you when you were sitting in study hall?" She turned all red instantly. It turned out that her boyfriend had the same first name as me, and she didn't check the name as she was trying to email him. I didn't let her forget that mishap for the rest of the year!

What are your most embarrassing moments?!

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I have several. LOL

One that I don't remember fondly was crying in front of my class my first year teaching. They were a tough group and I lost my composure when my counselor was in there. The next day, one of my kids who gave me a lot of trouble said, "you guys better stop or she might cry again!". This was first grade.

One that I always laugh thinking about was when I sat down on my rolling chair and it went right out from under me. It had happened once before but the kids weren't in the room. Several of my students ran to help me up and were very sweet about it.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

I have only one I recall...but I can't share because it would identify me. I'll enjoy reading others, though! :)

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

Soooo I have a good one that happened just a few weeks ago.

Every morning we have to go find our homeroom class and ask them who is eating lunch at school (there's a lady who makes the lunch, so she needs to know how much to make). They always tells us what the lunch is to tell the kids.

One day it was "pasta penne en salsa", pasta in sauce. Well I went to my class and told them "penne en salsa". They said "what??!!" I repeated in a very loud voice "penne en salsa!" They all busted out laughing, and of course I didn't realize until I left that "penne" sounds exactly like "pene" which means penis. I had just told my class that lunch was "penis in salsa".

I had a good laugh myself after that :lol:

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

I had a room decorated in an Americana theme and I found a great old woven-seat red folding chair. It was very cool and seemed sturdy. I used it at a teacher table up front in the room every day. In the middle of 7th grade math, the chair collapsed with me in it. They, too, tried hard not to laugh. It was mortifying as I am not a tiny person!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Last year I totally fell right on my butt in front of a class of freshmen. My doorstop had gotten kicked into the room or something, i.e., it wasn't up against the wall where it normally is when not in use. As I was talking and walking backwards to the board, I stepped on it, sort of turned my ankle, and fell. I kind of crumpled up against the classroom door in a really awkward squatty position, sort of half leaning back. I almost couldn't get back up! When I finally did get back up, I said, "Ta da!" and moved on. Man, was it embarrassing though.... :lol:

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

I've only taught two years, so not a ton of time for embarrassing moments... but my first year, I had an afternoon class filled with ALL girls. They loved to talk, avoid work, etc... They were what I thought was a trouble class (I've learned better since then ;)

So one day I was lecturing them - literally - about rules and regulations, and getting ready to take notes. I was talking while I pulled down the projector screen - which I then whacked myself in the head with. I turned bright red, and had to stand there a minute to get over being dizzy. They all busted out laughing, and never let me live it down!

I cried in front of a class this year, but wasn't embarrassed by it. My godmother had passed away and I missed four days of school - I came back on a Friday b/c I thought it would be less stressful. My favorite class came in mid-morning and several of them lined up to hug me. I was still very upset, and so moved by their caring, that I cried as I hugged them all back. LOVED those kids!!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Hmmm...I think I have 2.

1) I was walking across the room and looking at a child. I didn't notice the chair in my path and I walked right into it and fell on the ground. The kids were all surprised and I was mortified, but a few ran over to help. :)

2) I was bringing my 1st graders back from somewhere and I whispered to myself, "OOoh. I'm going to kill them" because of the two who had just lied to me. Although I didn't think anyone could hear it (I actually had thought I had just mouthed it), one of the kids looked at me and said "Mrs. C, that's not very nice!" :blush:

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

Ha...I'm laughing out loud reading all of your stories. :lol:

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

One time I taught a whole calculus lesson with my fly down. :blush:

My favorite story is from my AP French teacher. She was a slightly bigger woman who wore flowing summer dresses. One day we were taking a quiz and she was sitting at her desk. She goes to get up, and her dress gets caught in the space where the backrest meets the seat cushion. She sits back down and attempts to free herself, but it doesn't work. The room was arranged 3 rows on either side, facing each other, with one big middle aisle. So she stands up and walks down the center of the room, rolling chair trailing right behind her, with a completely straight face. She sits back down at her desk, and then she just bursts out laughing. She had this high-pitched, cackle-y laugh, so we all end up losing it and laughing until we cried.

One of my favorite memories from high school :lol:.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Love that story, Mike!

13. sirscience

sirscience Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

I taught juniors in a high school physics course and during one class period a student called me over, saying "Can you come here quickly?". Without thinking I replied, "I'll come, but not quickly." Well, you can probably guess what a room full of 16 year-olds took that as. When I realized what I said I turned beet red!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

:lol:

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 30, 2012

This is something that has happened twice to me, in two different schools, and probably happens every year, but it never fails that someone mispronounces "organism" as "orgasm". The second time happened when the principal was in the room.

16. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

Haha...this past year I was doing a lecture on the early events of the French Revolution. I was trying to convey to students that the women in Paris were not getting any response from the government there, so they marched to Versailles to have their voices heard. Unfortunately, my choice of wording wasn't as effective, since I said that they "weren't getting any action" in Paris and went to Versailles instead. I didn't even pick up the double connotation until one of my students asked me to repeat why they went there (all the while snickering with his friends).

17. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

I was pregnant during my second year of teaching. I had terrible morning (all day) sickness for the first 14 weeks and several times had to run into our classroom bathroom to vomit. One morning I didn't make it to the bathroom and had to vomit in the garbage can... in front of a class full of freaked out second graders. :eek:

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

that's so funny!!
    It reminds me how I had to adjust my choice of words when I started teaching at the detention center: these were a bunch of teenage boys with raging hormones, who have been locked up way too long. Simply things like "Miss, can you come here? I'm coming, I'm coming" just didn't sound the same. Or like today, we were reading about some of the ancestors of birds (or something like that) and one of them had 'boney tails', and of course they started repeating it.

Now I have been around them for so long, that now I'm used to it, and I certainly said lots of things that came out wrong or could be interpreted differently, so I don't even get red or embarrassed. A lot of time I laugh with them, or just say "Don't go there! Just don't!" they smile and let it go :)

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 30, 2012

Honestly, I think being pregnant while teaching makes for some great teachable moments.

20. Butterfly978

Butterfly978 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

My most embarrassing moment was when I was completing a KWL chart about snakes with a class of second graders. One of the girls said she wanted to know how snakes laid eggs because she did not see a butt hole. I was mortified and scared to death they were all going to tell their parents. (it was my first year teaching)

21. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

I always give my kids a 5 question quiz on the info we learned the day before, plus a bonus question that's just general knowledge or current events or something. One day, while student teaching, a kid asked if they were going to get a bonus question. I replied "You've been talking too much, I'm not going to give it to you." To which a kid replied "that's what she said"

My older, quite conservative cooperating teacher was in the room and I tried my damnedest to not burst out in laughing. But it was hard.:lol:

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

Two years ago I went into my coworkers classroom. She had a huge rug in her room. I tripped on one of the book baskets on her floor. When I tried to catch my footing I stepped into another basket. Because of the rug that one slid(with my foot still inside). Then, the basket got hung on a bump in the rug. I went down like a tree. The kids were all just staring wide-eyed, then they all started asking if I was ok. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even answer.

The other incident happened several years ago. I had gotten a new desk chair and put it together while the kids worked on a project. It seemed simple enough to put the chair together. I twirled it around a few times to make sure it worked, then sat down. I instantly went one way and the seat of the chair went the other way. Apparently I hadn't done as good a job as I thought!:lol:

23. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

My first year of teaching I was doing some filing on my planning period. I bent over to pick up some more papers off the floor and my belt loop got caught on the edge of the file cabinet drawer. I stood up quickly to free myself and managed to rip my pants. :eek: Thankfully, no student ever saw it. But I had to tell my team mate why I was running home (ten minutes away) so she could keep an eye out for my class.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

When I was packing up my classroom this year I was just wearing flip flops even though it was our last day. Kids were cleaning out their lockers and I was doing some major packing. Well one of the kids spilled water right next to the recycling bin (I didn't know). I slipped in the water and then grabbed onto the broken desk in my corner to try and catch myself. The top of it was just sitting on it, instead of being attached. You can imagine how that worked out. Thankfully no one really saw it but man I felt dumb!

25. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

These all can be compiled into a best selling book...lol

26. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jul 30, 2012

During the first few weeks of my first year of teaching, I realized that my 4th graders needed a review lesson on using guide words in a dictionary. They all had the same dictionary at their desks, so I had them look up the first word on their spelling word list. I didn't have a copy of the dictionary in front of me, so I asked for a student to read the first word on the page. No one could pronounce it, so I asked someone to spell it as I wrote it on the board. They were all trying to pronounce it, and mispronouncing it, so I took a step back to look at what the word was. All of a sudden, I realized that the only word on the whole board, in big huge letters, was "prostitution". By this point, students were asking what the word was, and what it means. I was teaching in a Christian school, and had visions of the principal or pastor walking into the room to see that one word in the middle of the board. I played it off as if I wasn't really sure what the word was either, rushed through the other guide word, and moved onto a different dictionary page!

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

"Just because it's long, doesn't mean it's hard".

This phrase was uttered by me when a business calculus class began whining when we were working a practice problem that combined the chain rule and the multiplication rule. I had adult students, as this was at a community college. One of the students in the class managed an "adult" store. It took me 20 minutes to regain the composure of the class.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

Last year, I was in the middle of a lesson and a "toot" accidentally came out (of me)!

The most funny part was that the kids were all blaming each other--no one suspected that it was me!

It was sooooo hard to keep my laughter inside! It was so hilarious because the kids kept saying, "It wasn't me...it was YOU" to each other! :lol:

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

I once was walking my kinder kids to the library (I believe) and was walking backwards to monitor my kiddos (we had just exited the classroom). We were walking across the kinder playground. Unbeknownst to me, a tricycle was left out and I tripped over the darn bike.

I have a tripping story for every year that I taught. I'm a klutz.

Part of kinder program was to label things in the classroom. I misspelled the word erasure (HAHAHA, that's a band. ETA: I spelled it wrong AGAIN! eraser). A parent said, "you know that word is spelled wrong, right?"

I have an accent and for some reason during spelling tests, it gets thicker. I think it's because I'm trying to say the words as clearly as possible so that they understand me, that I end up focusing too much and end up unable to say the words right. I don't know how many times I've had kids say, "wait, what?" Sometimes, I start to get so anxious that I forget how to say a word and end up saying to wrong. Sigh.... This was mainly a problem when I taught fifth.

I called one parent sweetie since it's a habit of mine to call my kiddos sweeties (I have a bad memory).

I also had a zipper in the pants malfunction. I threw those darn pants away after the second time.

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

My kids were getting onto the bus for a field trip. This was a particularly difficult class, and I was not thrilled to be going on this trip! I had to tell a colleague about a student, and I stepped on a pine cone on the sidewalk. My ankle twisted, and I went down-hard-on the sidewalk. I look up at the bus windows, and my kids were horrified! I told them it was okay to laugh, but I had to go to the clinic to get bandaids!

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

This is hilarious! :lol:
    Great story! What a great sense of humor!

32. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Aug 1, 2012

I've had several

I am a klutz, so I praise myself every year I don't fall down in front of the class.

I have two. I have a really bad knee, and it goes out on me all the time. My students and I were striking the set for our spring production and I jumped off a platform that was 12 inches off the ground. My knee gave out and I collapsed into a very untidy puddle onto the floor. My kids all saw it, and they also know that if I fall (due to my chronic klutziness), to really just leave me alone. One girl came over, trying not to snicker, to ask if I was okay. I told her to just get back to work and I crawled the edge of the stage and into the audience into my knee popped backed into place so I could keep working.

The second was also during theatre. I was trying to show a young lady how to dip a young man for her entrance. WEll, the young man in question was quite a bit taller than me, and frankly, a lot heavier than he looked, and when I went to dip him, we both ended up in a pile on the floor. It was very funny, unti i realized I broke my foot in 7 places. I spent the rest of that semester on a walker with wheels, or teaching from a rolling chair.

33. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

Mine would have to be about 2 years ago, when my daughter was born. I was breastfeeding at the time and pumping at school. I always locked my classroom door, but I have an adjoining classroom with another teacher. She fully knew my situation, but one day she let two students into my room during lunch while I was pumping. I was so mortified!!! Luckily they were two girl students who did not make a big deal out of it!

34. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 1, 2012

So far, nothing too mortifying in this teaching position, but I had some moments while subbing. The funniest was when I wore new shoes that hadn't been scuffed on the soles. This didn't do well with the newly buffed floor of the classroom (remember, I was subbing and didn't know the floors had been cleaned). My attempt to stop in front off the class found me, instead, sliding like a poor ice skater until I crashed into the window sill, doubling me over into a right angle. The class sucked in their collective breaths, waiting for my reaction. Thankfully, I've acted for enough years to stand up straight, throw my arms in the air and yell, "TADA!" It was a relief that the students laughed with me instead of at me.

35. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

That's HILARIOUS!!!!:lol::lol:

36. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 2, 2012

This is one of my biggest fears, especially when I cough!!!!!

Last year, I had a kid who pushed my buttons on an hourly basis. One day I told him he needed to go sit in another teacher's room for a few minutes because we needed some time apart, to which he replied, "But, I don't want to break up." I was pretty good at controlling laughter, until another student said, "Come on, Mrs. X, you know that was funny and you want to laugh."

During my first year, I was trying some new medicine and it gave me major brain fog. During math, we were talking about time lapses. For the life of me, I couldn't remember if 12:00 a.m. was midnight or noon. Some of my kids were telling me it was midnight, and I had it in my mind it was noon. Yeah, that was awesome. :blush:

Beth

37. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

Earlier this year one of my shoes fell apart. It sounds simple, but for me it was mortifying. I had on one of those sandal-wedges, from Payless. These shoes were practically brand new, and during 1st period, in the first 10 minutes I felt that the wedge-sole completely separated from the top, there were maybe 2 inches connected.

I immediately sat down, thinking, obviously I can't be walking around, and what about the rest of the day?
    I passed out the folders by handing them to the kid closest to me, and then thought 'how am I gonna teach the whole lesson stuck to the desk?" I need to walk around to make sure the kids are not doing anything bad or weird (tagging on the desks, having their hands in the pants!! etc).

One guy sitting close to me, very observant, could tell something was up. I was distracted, and started to look through the teacher's desk (it wasn't my classroom). I was looking for some kind of glue, nails, anything. Interestingly I found some heavy duty glue, the type that needs a couple of hours to dry, but will last forever. Couldn't open it. He saw me struggling, offered to help. Threw the glue to him, he opened it, brought it to me.
    All this while I managed to keep the kids focused on the lesson, don't know how, and most of them didn't know what was going on. He saw that I was fiddling with something under my desk and finally saw my shoe in my hand. By that time I was frustrated, and relieved that the glue will work, when he said "Miss M, what's wrong?"
    I said quietly, with frustration, with total disgust and without realizing "my shoe fell apart!! What the f@xck!". The kids in the front row busted out laughing, I apologized, they said no need. After that we all had a laugh, especially when we discussed the possible ways to fix it (tape, staple, take it off and go barefoot).
    I guess you had to be there and know those guys, but it was so funny. They wear the same uniform every day, yet they'd criticize the smallest wardrobe issues!
    The next couple of periods I had to go barefoot, otherwise the glue would not have set. But I was back in my classroom, which was small, and it wasn't even so obvious.
    I still wear those shoes and the glue is holding up well.

38. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

I was doing a movement activity (Animal Actions, for those of you familiar with Greg and Steve) with a class on a party day. Lots of parents, mostly dads that year, were in to set up the party. When I squatted down to be a frog, I split my black pants and revealed bright red undies to all the dads and moms behind me.:eek:

I also have had a toot escape when bending down to help a student. The student started to laugh, I started to laugh because the student was laughing so hard, and the rest of the class apparently hadn't heard it, because they kept asking why we were laughing. The student and I just kept laughing, until I could collect myself and go on, and if he told the rest of them when I wasn't around, I never heard about it (thank God!).:whistle:

39. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Aug 3, 2012

This post was a lot of fun to read through! I was actually thinking of starting one like this as well. So here is an embarrassing moment.

It was my first year teaching and I was being observed for the very first time by my AP during a science lesson about measurement and temperature I think. To illustrate some point I was making, I went up to the white board and drew a thermometer. I will tell you that I am terrible at drawing but for some reason, I keep giving it a shot without learning my lesson. So I draw this thing and I take a step back to look at it only to realize, to my horror I might add, that I had basically drawn a giant penis on the board...hope that's ok to say. I wanted to die. I was teaching 3rd grade and luckily thy didn't catch on, but my AP was a man and I was just mortified. So, I quickly erased it saying something like, oh I better draw that better so you can get a better understanding of what i am talking about. I took a deep breath, and got it together. I mean I was literally sweating. So, I go and redraw the thermometer, only to make the same bad drawing mistake but this time I drew it bigger. :lol:

40. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 3, 2012

OMG that exact same thing happened to me! but I was in a classroom full of 17-18 year old boys who had been locked up for 6 months so you can only imagine what's on their mind 24/7.
    It was the same way it happened to you, but while I was drawing it, i just figured they don't need visuals that bad :) This was one of my first days.

Just the other day something else went wrong :) We were reading a short story, and the guys were cooperating very nicely. I would call on one, he'd read, then another and so on. (I know popcorn reading, not the most imaginative, but in this environment it works) Sometimes i would read the few few words of the sentence, because some of the students were spacing out and I didn't wanna make a big deal about them not following.
    So the one time i decide to read about a sentence, it goes like this "I dropped to my knees..." I stopped because some of them started to make some noises, it wasn't even intentional, they were kinda surprised. I said "don't do that", and then we all started laughing. Might as well just laugh, there's no point to act like nothing happened lol. It was very hard for me to stop. But they weren't even inappropriate or disrespectful, it was just funny.

I was talking about this with another substitute teacher, she said they were talking about breakfast. they asked what she likes, she said she likes brownies. Now that doesn't sound weird (at least to me), but all those guys have smoked weed at some point or another, so for them brownies was code for pot. Now the sub had a hard time convincing them that she wasn't a stoner! haha.

41. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

That's why I don't draw!