Most effective way to teach spelling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teach'em, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I will be teaching ELA to all 3 third grades this year. As a new teacher, I do not have much experience teaching spelling, and have never observed a teacher whose method I really like. What is your most effective way to teach spelling. Also, this has to fit into a 1 hour block of ELA where I also have to teach reading and writing.

Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

I LOVE Words Their Way. I have 4 spelling groups in my class, clustered by spelling level as determined by a pre-assessment. Everyone is working on words that are 'right' developmentally for them. There's a cd on the following link you can download for more info:
    http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_bear_words_3/

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 7, 2010

I am definitely a firm believer in teaching a spelling pattern for the week. I know a lot of teachers like to use words based on a theme or just random words, but I think that just creates a lot of Friday spellers-they don't really retain the knowledge as well. You can differentiate the level of the words and still use the same spelling pattern.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

I agree with KinderCowgirl. Using a specific pattern helps them understand that pattern, for example, /ar/.

:lol: I love that term..."Friday spellers"!

6. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Aug 7, 2010

Czacza, did your school adopt the Word Their Way program? I'm not sure what my school uses. I hope to find out next week.

Kinder and Tracy, thanks for the tips! That makes a lot of sense!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

We kind of adopted it...we have freedom in choice of resources to use. They did buy the black WTW book for everyone who wanted it and the related word sort books. So there are a lot of teachers who use WTW, but it looks different in each room.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

We are doing the Fountas and Pinnell buddy system this year. They will study a different word pattern each week.

9. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

My school also uses Words Their Way but we don't have all the pieces of the kit. There should be books to read to the students but the only piece we have is the word sort book. How can I do the literacy part of the program without the assigned reading books?

10. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

We use the Saxon Phonics and Spelling Program. It uses words from the skills they have been learning for the past ten weeks. It builds upon each other and spirals to hold them accountable for past skills as well.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

Wouldn't each student's ability to learn to spell words be enhanced if you knew their learning style: visual, auditory, kinesthetic? Or possibly some combination of the three.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 7, 2010

I used WTW, and I only had the book, no sorts. I want to use it again this year but I switched schools and they don't have it. :(