Most dangerous cities in America???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Major, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2010

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2010

"If the rent being too **** high and robbing kids of a quality education were included, Gotham might be much closer to the top of the list."

That is the funniest thing I've read in ages!!!!!!! (And anyone in NY State should be able to appreciate it :) )

As someone who lives in the NYC 'burbs, let me say: the only registered sex offender I know personally lives in St. Louis.

Honestly, though, I strongly suspect that it matters WHERE you live in each of those cities.Every city, probably every small town too, has "good areas" and "bad areas." Define them any way you want, but they exist.

If you live in the good area of any city, work there, and spend most of your time there, the odds are that you won't see much violent crime.

The bad areas, of any city, are another story.

There you have it: My version of the Theory of Relativity.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Nov 23, 2010

I'm surprised Chicago hasn't made it to the list- then again they've seemed to have stopped calling all of the gan related killings "death of a CPS student" this year (or maybe I stopped reading the paper).

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 23, 2010

I am not far from Newark, always been bad and Cory Booker is trying very hard,he had a big ol mess to clean up after the last mayor. My family is orginally from there - from way back when it was a great town.

I drove through Camden once during the day, it was scary - enough said

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 23, 2010

Finally! A list my town did not make! Woo Hoo! :lol::lol:

Who makes these lists anyway?

7. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Nov 23, 2010

There are a bunch of teachers on this board who have taught or still teach in many of these cities - much love to them. The public schools in many parts of these cities are horrendous.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 23, 2010

I am truly surprised my hometown didn't make that list. More shocking is that no city in my home state didn't make that list!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 23, 2010

I don't live in any of them, but I've visited five of them!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 24, 2010

I've lived in close proximity to Gary, Flint and Detroit. And now live within 15 minutes of Richmond and Oakland. I'm so use to news reports filled with crime we don't even watch anymore. So sad-I hurt for the residents.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 24, 2010

Isn't St. Louis where the Griswolds got their wheels stolen and their car grafittied while on their way to Wally World?

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

:rofl::rofl:

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2010

Funny movie...:p.... I believe they were in East St. Louis, IL ........ which is known as a high crime area ......

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2010

I'm surprised Atlanta isn't higher on the list than #25.

http://www.ajc.com/

Every day, any time of the day.

Yesterday it was a crazy guy in a pick-up truck that rammed into another car on purpose, killing a woman who got caught up in the accident. That would be on the road that I take to get to the airport.

Two weeks ago, it was a teenage party that got ought of control in our school district's neighborhood, and a young teen was stomped to death before the cops could arrive. That happened on the same road that some of our students live on, who came to school the next Monday pretty shaken up...the same ones I had to teach simplifying fractions and persuasive writing to.

15. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

Living in the 603....in the woods, on the water....thank goodness! :) Sorry for those of you who work/live in those areas. Thankful I live in a small town, not to say they can't be as bad.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 24, 2010

Newark is just a little.. run down.

Camden is scary.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 25, 2010

OK-- I live in Oklahoma, but I visit several on the list each year. I never felt scared. I also visit Houston, Texas quite regularly. I am more scared in Houston than St. Louis, Kansas City, or Little Rock.

18. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Nov 25, 2010

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2010

Oh,it's more than 'a little run down' in many neighborhoods although one has to admire Booker's attempts and successes. The Newark Museum is a WONDERFUL place for school field trips and my family has been to MANY Devils games at the Pru Center...there are 'nice' areas but I stick to the major highways when traveling to and around Newark...you could get in to quite more than 'a little run down' quite quickly.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 25, 2010

I was surprised we weren't there myself. Watching the nightly news you'd definitely think we'd be up there. I guess maybe we're such a large city the crime is spread out a bit more?

The CT ones are the ones that surprised me until I read that it includes car theft. I still remember the memo sent to residents where my parents lived reminding them to take their keys out of their cars at night. There had been a rash of stolen Range Rovers-they thought they were safe in the upscale community.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 25, 2010

Yeah. I haven't been into many areas of Newark.

Just the area around Newark Beth Israel and around the Seton Hall Law School (Raymond Blvd, went there for a SSI hearing) along with going through Newark Penn every day

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 25, 2010

Houston scared the #$%@ out of me! It was ok once I got to the Space Center, but even the area around my hotel was just...scary.

So was the nail-biting van ride from the airport...in the dark...in the rain...

Of course, to keep it in perspective, my hometown's population is 555. The "big town" where we do all of our shopping is 3,200...