Most Common Parent Comment at Conferences

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by beccmo, Nov 28, 2009.

1. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 28, 2009

This year's most common parent comment at conferences:
    "But my son/daughter has always gotten A's in science class."

My responses varied due to student issue: incomplete homework, not reading directions, poor class participation, adjustment to more student responsibility than in middle school (for freshman), current grade is higher (or lower) than 1st quarter, should take time to see me after school for help, etc.

What was your most common parent comment this year?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2009

Surprisingly, my most common comment was "My child loves writing this year!" It made be feel great that they kids have expressed this to their parents. Guess it just goes to show that giving kids a chance to write about topics THEY are interested in can go a long way!

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2009

Me to a 6th grade parent once:

"Yes, your child is very good at math. In fact, I'd consider him to be quite gifted in the subject.

It's just that recently, he's chosen to quit doing it."

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 28, 2009

Let's see... I had a number of common comments...

one was regarding homework... many of the parents find the Literacy homework very difficult (it's very outside the box for the most part... talking about what a good reader does)... it can get complicated, but I just told them that I don't expect perfection... we're just starting with this right now, and they will continue to work on the same things throughout the year.

Another thing, how will the transition to the new teacher go in January.

Also, what's wrong with my kid's Science mark? Well, I had very little to mark from your child in Science, because they didn't do most of their work, or they sped through it.

6. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Nov 28, 2009

Typically, I get a lot of "He's never really been much of a reader" or "she's always struggled with grammar," as if this subject area has already been given up on! This year, I was happy not to hear that nearly as often!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2009

The one that kills me is "I was never good at math either" as an explanation for why little Tiffany is failing.

Well, apparently you weren't much of a science wiz; math ability is NOT an inherited trait!!!

8. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 28, 2009

I honestly don't think there was a single comment that was repeated this year. Conferences were fast and furious. In order to see all of the parents this year, we had 5 minute conferences. Things are kinda of blurred for those two days.

9. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 28, 2009

It never ceases to amaze me how families are perfectly willing to accept enumeracy (sp?) for their children because they feel negatively towards math.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2009

"Yeah, he's a typical boy!" when told that their son needed to work on following directions/behaving appropriately/not talking/self-control.

I bit my tongue and responded with a polite variation of, "Well, he's a little more 'intense' than the other boys."

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 28, 2009

"This is the first B/C that Johnny has gotten in History."

"Why do you give essays, this is only Freshman History?"

Oh I'm sorry your child can't write, that's my fault. God forgive me for trying to help him.

12. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 29, 2009

I wish I had been that busy. Over 2 days I had 31 conferences for 30 of my 120 students. This is the 1st year all district buildings had conferences at the same time, supposedly so older kids could babysit the younger ones, and we could boost conference participation. I definitely don't think it worked.

13. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 29, 2009

Same here!

14. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Dec 9, 2009

"my son actually enjoys history!?!?!"