Most Common Names

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

I teach in a small school. I teach 5/6/7/8 SS. In each class I have an Anna and an Amanda. i have two Jakes, and two Olivias.

2. Azula Fleur

Azula Fleur Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

Micheal
    Sarah
    Emily
    Andre

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2007

Luke and Cole are very popular around here ...we had 5 coles that were 6 this summer ..one of the counselors gave out numbers for them because at lest 3 of them had the same last initial!

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

I have 2 Jasons on my list now. I had a Jason 2 years ago too. Seems to be popular now. My nephew's name is Jason but he is 28 years old.

5. Peanut

Peanut New Member

Sep 3, 2007

Top this one........I have 3 Christopher's (two with the last name beginning with K) and 2 Ryan's (both with the last name beginning with C.) in ONE class. Tough on a first year teacher when you are trying to learn 100+ new names!

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2007

There are full names on here, as well as unique names. Yet this post still exists. Geez.

7. Katerie

Katerie Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

In my school, we have probably 10 different variations on Kate (I'm Kate, there are three or four others, then there is Kady, Katie, etc.) There are a lot of Britteny's/Brittany's, as well as Terra's and Chelsea's/Chelsie. We have TONS of Matts as well. Usually, there are multiples in the classes, and if we're lucky there aren't. As far as staff goes, there are more than one Janet, Doug, Mary, Diane, and Eileen (both in the Social Studies dept.). In the math department, there are two teachers that I would swear look exactly alike and are best friends. Both of their names start with C and I can't even tell the difference between them from behind.

8. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

My son's preK class had 2 Riley's last year, one boy and one girl.I think there was one in my other son's class too.

When I was pregnant with my oldest it was so hard to come up with a name that I didn't associate with a student. His name is Connor, he's 6 1/2.

9. aliencitizen

aliencitizen Rookie

Sep 6, 2007

Well, there are always names from other countries or languages. There are native american names for example and east indian names and italian, french, etc. And kids named after ancestors, sometimes using a last name as a first name, are usually unique. Just my :2cents:.

10. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 6, 2007

That's so funny, I'm Kim too and my last name starts with a D. as well. :p

My son is Tyler, but he's only 1, so from what I'm seeing, most of the Tylers that everyone has had has been in fourth grade and up. My daughters' names are Alexia and Corinne. There are a lot of Alex names in my older daughter's grade, but I've never met another Corinne.

In the 3 yr old class at my child care center, there is Erin (girl) and Areyn (boy).

We also have about 3 Sanaa's (pronouced Sun-ah) in the entire child care center.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 6, 2007

When I first read your post, I thought it said "Connie." I was thinking I hadn't seen a Connie... well... ever. I've seen Constance, but no one seems to go by Connie anymore.

I also don't see a lot of Susans. Those names used to be so popular when I was in school.

12. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 6, 2007

Zachary/Zach/Zack/Zac

Jennifer

13. georgia_mama

georgia_mama New Member

Sep 13, 2007

We have lots of Kaylas, Kaitlyns, Kylies and Laurens.

I have 2 daughters. One named Lauren. However, we call her Lauren Lee. (I think it's a Southern thing to use first and middle name.) I did better with my other daughter. I haven't seen her name mentioned in the entire thread. Audrey. But once again, we use both first and middle name. We call her Audrey Rae.

And I hardly ever hear anyone, male or female, with the same name as mine. Dana Rae.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

I do have a Corrine this year! But, nope, haven't had a Connie.
    Kim

15. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

Maybe these aren't too common, but they're too confusing for me to have in one class! Two Coreys, a Cassie and a Kacie (I've mixed that up numerous times) and a Kayla and a Mikala. AHH!

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

This year, I have 2 Isabella's and 2 Daniels!

In the past, I have had a Zachary in every class, but not this year!

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 14, 2007

Bailey for a girl has stuck around for the last several years and Kennedy (for either) is coming up quickly. One class has 2 Karen's, 2 Jose's, and 2 Angel's (boys).

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 14, 2007

There was a Connie two years younger in school, but she's now 23.

I just thought about last names, and my most common last name has been Miller. I've had three- unrelated- but out of four years of teaching and having the last name in three classes, that's quite a bit.

Most common, generic last names at our school- Miller. Moore. Lewis. Johnson (Johnson is MAJOR.) Jones. Yet not so much Smith or Brown or other generic ones.

19. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 14, 2007

Not too many names like Nancy, Doris, Judy, or Jane.

20. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 14, 2007

Jasmine--2 this year in my class.
    2 Austin's
    2 Matt's

21. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 14, 2007

I have a lot of ethnic names in my class - Jeric, Jierisa, Gaston, Vincent.

22. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

I've had tons of Tylers (like most of you, I see!), several Taylors, Nicks, Ethans, Mackenzies, Ryans, Kylie/Kaylee/Kaylas, Anthonys, and Alyssas. But this year, I also got a Sarai, Mustafa, and Oscar! Mixin' it up a little!

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

My daughter (21) got a job at a vet hospital. Every single young girl who works there is named either Christine/Christina or Jennifer. I joked that that is why she got the job.

24. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

We have a lot of ethnic names too, but it seems like a common one for boys is Jacquez, and I don't think there is a common one for the girls.

25. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Never heard that name...how is it pronounced? :confused:

26. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

Upsadaisy, we have 6 teacher on our staff named Jennifer! And there are only 40 of us! Very popular name a while ago!

27. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

Phonetically, it would be pronounced "Jah Qez."

Sometimes the names are so hard for me to pronounce, I constantly make mistakes with one little girl's name. I finally told the class to correct me when I did it....and they do. :p I am trying.

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 15, 2007

I have had a Judy. It makes me really happy when parents bring back a name not too common now. :woot:

Nancy is a neat name. I grew up with a Nancy. I also actually think that was the name of Judy's mother.

I've had students with Jane for a middle name. :)

I've never seen a child with the name Doris, but it would be sort of neat, also.

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

30. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 15, 2007

31. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

I have all common names this year. The unusual thing is that I have Mary, Joseph, and Christian. (The first 6 letters spelling Christ.)

32. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I've got a bunch like this: Kayla, Kailyn, Kaitlyn, Karla, Kyla. All in one class. It can be a tongue twister!
    Kim

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2007

When I subbed, there were always Katies, Isabellas, Chrises, Jacobs, Aidens, Taylors, etc... This is my first year, and I have no doubles. I do have Ciara and Sara which sounds a lot alike. Plus a Tryston and Kristen which also get confused. And to go with my Kristen there is a Keirsten. I end up using last names sometimes!!
    One teacher I subbed for had three Taylors. Instead of being Taylor A., Taylor B., Taylor C. (whatever their last initials were), they were Taylor 1, Taylor 2 and Taylor 3. That helps when they have common last initials!!
    My name is Jayna (rhymes with Dayna. Jane-uh) so I never have an issues with staff members having a common name with me! I also have a super unusual last name. At my school (23 general ed teachers plus the "specials" teachers, EC teachers, etc...). We have 3 Miss/Mrs. Smiths. I am not sure of one's name, so I don't know if there is a common first initial.

34. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

:eek:WOW! :eek:

35. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2007

Very true! I've had two named Kayla, and both very (how should I say it...."needy") And every Jason I've ever had seems to think he's has to live up to the movie character--not that I've ever seen it, but I can guess based on the name alone.

36. asgirl

asgirl Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I know a kid named Doris, she used to go on a bus I go on. It can get very confusing on that bus. My name is Kayla and there are 2 Tayla's neither of which have middle names. Then there are the 2 Hayden's and there used to be a third Hayden and a Payden, Then there was Kate and Katie, and Casey and Stacey, very confusing. And of course I forgot, the 2 Lachlan's, and Hannah and Savannah.

37. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Sep 30, 2007

Tyler and Alex

38. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I have had a lot of Miguels and this year I have 2 Alyssas. There is always a few Stevens and Daniels as well. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.