Most common general questions your students will ask your sub.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by oldstudent, Apr 18, 2015.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 18, 2015

From my experience in hundreds of classrooms, I have learned that the most common related questions your sub will be asked is either "Can we switch seats?" or" Can we work with partners?", or Can....help me?"

I am asked one of these questions in roughly 90% of all middle school classes, and a significant amount in other grades as well.
    I usually give the same response, but whether or not I implement my response depends on the general focus of the class.

Whether or not students are ever able to switch seats, and under what circumstances, if any, would be beneficial for us to know from the lesson plan. Such information is rarely included, however.

The second most common question is " Do we need to write down the question?" when they are answering questions from the text.

Of course, when I am asked this, it is probable the answer is "yes", and that the student is hoping I will say no to save them time. But there are times when most students seem assured the answer is "no". This is something I would like to see addressed more often in the lesson plan.

Something else I would like to see mentioned in the lesson plan is the answer to the question " Is this homework if I don't finish?'

Sometimes the students do not finish their independent practice; but unless I am told to collect it, I don't know if the unfinished classwork needs to be finished at home.

These are just a few suggestions to help us out.

Later on, I will suggest more stuff in a different thread to help our day go more smoothly.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2015

The questions that students most often ask me (as the regular classroom teacher) are:
    • Is this due at the end of the period?
    • Can I take it home if I don't finish it?
    • Can we write on this paper or should we use our own?

I make sure to address those issues in my sub plans, along with information about what resources (textbooks, notes, phones) can be used and whether students should work alone or with a partner.

4. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 18, 2015

This reminds me of another common question," Can we use our phones to help us with our work/projects?"

I imagine subs are thankful that you cover all the bases.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 18, 2015

I actually think this is a great thread idea, although I'm not sure if it will get a lot of traction. If anyone wants to include common questions that people might want to address in their sub plans, I'm sure it'd be useful! Here's mine:

• I'm done, what do I do now?

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 18, 2015

• The above is another common question. It would have been 2nd on my list.
      However, this question is addressed far more frequently in lesson plans than my original three, hence I omitted it.

Of course I didn't bother mentioning the true top three because they are so obvious:

" May I use the restroom?"
      " Can I sharpen my pencil?"
      " Can I get a drink of water?"

7. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Apr 18, 2015

For the above my answers would be no, no, and no. They are looking to play around. For one, the teacher should have sharpened pencils available to them so they don't have to ask and most classrooms (elementary anyhow) have scheduled bathroom times where students can get a drink of water and use the restroom (unless it's an emergency).

8. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Apr 22, 2015

As a sub here are some of the most common questions I am asked:

What is your name? (I always write my name on the board)

Where is my regular teacher? (he/she had to take off today)

Why? (I didn't ask, as it is none of my business)

When is lunch? (the regular time, I'll let you know when it is time to go)

What are we supposed to do today? (your teacher left me a big list. See? I will let you know as we move along)

Cam I use the restroom? I generally allow that. A child in our family had a medical condition requiring the use of the restroom on demand, and some teachers ignored that, causing an embarrassing event. I would NEVER inflict that on a child! But I always follow the school RULE for restroom breaks, as some schools require that students go in pairs)

Will you sharpen my pencil? (lower grades are not allowed to use the electric sharpener, so I stop whatever I am doing to take care of this. OR, I sharpen a bunch of pencils when I get to the classroom, keep them available for students to get if theirs breaks)

What is this word? I try to help them sound it out and usually that works. If not I help them LEARN the word.)

Can I call my mom/dad/grandma etc? (no, most of the time)

That's really most of the common questions I get. I get a LOT of specific questions to do with the work for that day, and deal with those questions as they come. Many times when one student asks a question it is really ALL the students who need the answer, so I usually repeat the question for the hole class and help them LEARN the answer.

9. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Apr 22, 2015

One thing I always leave in my sub plans is the name of a trustworthy student that the sub can ask questions about general classroom procedures or school rules.

10. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Apr 22, 2015

Who are you?

Where is Mrs. So and so (regular teacher)?

11. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Apr 22, 2015

Love this.

12. Muhaddisa

Muhaddisa New Member

Apr 25, 2015

that was interesting