Mornings are hard

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MusiCal, Nov 8, 2021.

1. MusiCal

MusiCal Rookie

Nov 8, 2021

So first of all, I have a 6:30AM Monday morning class. It's a fun class, it's tuba & low brass studies so I get to hang out with the big instruments for a while. And no, I have zero guilt about offering a 6:30AM class because THEY signed up for it and THEY paid for it (I had the option of both a Monday/Wednesday 6:30AM class or Tues/Thurs 3PM class but it would be determined based on how students signed up for it). So it's entirely their fault.
    I walked out of the house and left my thermos of coffee sitting on the counter. Now I have to have my coffee. Especially at 6:30AM on any day. Okay fine it happens so I stopped at Dunkin (by the time I realized it wasn't enough time to go back home). Coming into the building, student opens the door and coffee goes all over my shirt/tie/jacket. Not even going to lie, I told my students if one of them volunteered to go get me some coffee and a donut from Dunkin I'd give extra credit. Thankfully had a student go do so!
    Then later in the day for our brass choir I was walking across the stage with my trumpet, tripped, and fell flat on my face. Years of marching band reflexes saved my trumpet but it couldn't save my pride, I'm afraid.

Anyways, now I'm grading assignments, relaxing, and hoping tomorrow is a better day!

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Nov 8, 2021

Always, always hopes for a better day tomorrow; even if this one wasn't all that bad.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 8, 2021

It's hard to explain to non-music people that it's cheaper to fix you than it is to fix your instrument, even with the cost of healthcare. I smashed the side of my hand pretty hard once falling on icy pavement. My reflex was to flip my hand as I was falling so that my instrument didn't make contact with the concrete.

My condolences on the 6:30 class. Yeesh. I'm not even a human at that hour, let alone ready to lecture.

Deamris likes this.
  5. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Nov 9, 2021

I'm not a morning person in the slightest, so now that I'm at a school that starts at 7:30, I'm very thankful for a short commute. I usually leave at 7 and get to school by 7:15. I'd rather stay late to prepare than get to school at 6:30 AM :eek:

6. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Nov 9, 2021

The time change has everyone messed up- even my dog who insists dinner time is an hour earlier! Hope the rest of your week is better! :)

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Nov 10, 2021

Time is a human construct.

8. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Nov 11, 2021

It is until your pets are used to food at a certain time of day and suddenly for some arbitrary reason you're waiting an hour longer to feed them. My cats DEFINITELY get upset when we get off schedule; they've been wanting dinner at 8:30 or 9:00pm because we normally feed them at 9:30-10:00 and the time changed.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 11, 2021

You feed that that late??? My dog would have a hissy fit if I fed him that late LOL He's fine if has his dinner anywhere between 5 and 7.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Nov 11, 2021

Yeah. It's late, but it also works with our routine. I feed them at 7am after I get up and then open the bedroom door to let them in. One gets lunch around noon because otherwise he scarfs it all down at once and is a jerk when he gets hungry again. Then they get dinner around 9:30 when my husband and I are ready to go to bed for the night, and we close the bedroom door to keep them out. It's mostly food=change in access to bedroom lol.

I think cats are a little easier than dogs in that regard. We do measured free-feeding in microchip feeders, so they have access all day but only to a certain amount of food.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 11, 2021

Ahh, I see. We don't give him food after breakfast so by early evening he's hungry. I think if he ate lunch he might be able to eat dinner later. But who know. He might want to eat all day LOL

12. MusiCal

MusiCal Rookie

Nov 12, 2021

It's such a very specific skill set that non-musicians don't have. I have health insurance for myself, if I break my arm, okay fine I'll go to the ER get patched up, $35 copay life goes on. But busting my trumpet and getting it repaired is very expensive. I probably easily have $20k in instruments alone which is significantly more than I spend on myself. Sending any of them away to a repair shop is EASILY a $750-1,000 bill simply because they're quality instruments so they're expensive to repair. So ultimately, it's simple, easy math. Cost to fix my broken arm? $35 copay, maybe some pain meds? Follow up appointment? No more than $100 total. Cost to repair a trumpet? Easily $750. I actually had to send my piccolo trumpet a couple of years ago to get all of the valves repaired (they had a little crush damage) and it was an $1,100 repair bill.
    Side note for anyone who thinks these are unrealistic costs: so the model of piccolo trumpet I have currently retails for $4,077.99 on wwbw.com (one of the more reliable places for musical supplies and such).

I actually don't mind the 6:30AM class too much. It's definitely an adventure! Given that it's low brass, there's such a different energy so I will admit it gets the day started off in a right way.

13. MusiCal

MusiCal Rookie

Nov 12, 2021

My cats do not care what the clock says. When they're hungry, they're hungry, and that's that.

Tired Teacher and Colliemom like this.
  14. Aces

Aces Devotee

Nov 13, 2021

Adding to the mornings are hard theme the kiddos have a competition to go to today (both are in the marching band) so I was up early with them trying to get them out the door. 7a report times are NOT my friend! I slipped on the stairs and fell on my butt! Twisted my prosthetic which was unpleasant.

15. Jazzer

Jazzer Rookie

Nov 13, 2021

Yes that is true about instruments. There have been times that the slightest bump has knocked my saxophone completely out of whack and cost me several hundred dollars to fix. Too bad we can’t get health insurance for our instruments.

16. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 13, 2021

The store my flutes came from offered a maintenance agreement that was as close to that as you'd get. It was so much per year and listed off what all parts and labor were included and what you'd have to pay for. The downside was getting services anywhere else voided the agreement, which was fun during college when I'd end up losing a flute for a month all because it needed a pad replaced.
    I've yet to find a good shop where I live now. I needed a screw replaced in the thumb rest of my clarinet and it cost me $70.

17. MusiCal

MusiCal Rookie

Nov 17, 2021

I had one of those with a more local shop and then the shop closed down much to my horror!

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 19, 2021

My dogs did not take well to the time change. Woke my butt up tooooooooo early. I was the walking dead.

19. J.D.Sam

J.D.Sam New Member

Dec 6, 2021

Getting up in the morning is hard. Getting out of the bed in the Winter is even harder. Spring just can't come fast enough

20. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Dec 13, 2021

My cats would love it if they had lunch! Mine eat at 6 am every day--and they let me know when it's 6. I loved the comment about the cat being a jerk if he doesn't get lunch!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 14, 2021

Sometimes my dog doesn’t eat his breakfast so I give him a little extra at dinner including some veggies. He’s not into dog treats except chicken jerky and yak cheese chews.

22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2021

I had to be out the door at 6AM for years. I am not a morning person either and depended on my coffee. I am thankful to be done with it. Now I sleep in and drink very little coffee.
    I have 2 cats like yours. They have trained me and work in cahoots by BOTH coming to me at the same time and meowing. That means they want treats now.

23. Aces

Aces Devotee

Dec 17, 2021

Fridays are also hard, apparently. Today was the last day before we get out for Christmas break (staff has work days Mon/Tues.
    Firstly this woman screamed at me for no less than 45 mins. To the point that our SRO stepped into my office to make sure I was okay (he caught the tail end of it).
    Then trying to get her out of my office so we (SRO & I) could go to the cafeteria, she spilled scolding hot coffee all over me. To the point SRO called the paramedics to make sure that I was okay. Got checked out/treated for first degree burns on my chest.

So that was fun! Hubby had to bring me a fresh charge of clothes. Meanwhile, I have no idea what was happening in the cafeteria but P/the other VP handled it.

24. Ayyan

Ayyan Rookie

Feb 3, 2022

I have mornings! Ok, mornings are great, but I feel awful in the morning. First of all, I hate to get out of my bad. I just can't understand how some ppl are so happy they wake up earlier that a sun comes out. UGH. That's like my husband :confused: I'm happy if he makes me a cup of coffee, turn on something uplifting on the TV here, or turns on the active music, and opens the curtains. But still, it's so hard, especially while it's cold outside.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 4, 2022

I get up fine if it's light out already but if I get up in the dark I have a terrible time.

Kenton and Kerrberr like this.
  26. Kerrberr

Kerrberr Rookie

Aug 13, 2022

I'm the same. I hate my mornings in winter because it is dark when I get up.

27. Kenton

Kenton New Member

Aug 16, 2022

The same hard time for me. Especially in winter, when it's still dark in the morning. My body just refuses to wake up. Of course, I understand that it depends on the regiment and habits. Canadian pharmacy states more serious problems linked to sleep, like parasomnias, such as sleepwalking, sleep talking, and night terrors, sleep apnea, or sleep deprivation. However, I believe my unwilling to get up early is a simple sleep deficiency.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022