Morning Work

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by monkey girl, Jul 23, 2008.

1. monkey girl

monkey girl Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

What kinds of things do you have your students do for morning work? Obviously they have their jobs to do (attendance, lunch choice etc) but then what do you have them working on? I have to submit lunch count to the office, take attendance on the computer, etc so I need for them to be somewhat independent for the first 10-15 minutes each day. I have done puzzles and books and they liked that but I want to spice it up a bit. I was thinking about putting out something different each day - ex: Math Mondays (math games), Free Choice Fridays - Thumbs Up Thurs. (fine motor work). Any suggestions or ideas????

3. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I use the mornings for extra writing time. Students have spirals (journals) that they come in and write in. Typically they can write about anything hey want. Everyone once in a while I put up a prompt or picture to respond to. Students bring their spirals to reading groups and I quickly check them before beginning. I have noticed that the groups that have used spirals for the majority of the year have been very strong writers.

I have been thinking about rotating days between reading boxes (student specific with books from reading groups, etc.) and the spirals but haven't made up my mine.

I try to make morning work easy for me, I don't want to have to set anything up or really explain much once everyone knows what is going on. Students become very independent with these 2 activities.

I have had a student for the past 2 years (K-1) that has used his spiral to retell his favorite video game in K and then his favorite computer game in 1st. He wrote for 84 pages this year!! He was so into it that at the end of the year he said I don't think I am going to be able to finish before the year is over can I start taking it home at night to finish it?

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 23, 2008

Maybe rotate - and/or have some of these available as they finish their journal, depending on how much time you may need(Mondays always take the longest for me)
    *Journal time
    *Color,cut & glue project (ie sequencing nursery rhyme of the
    week-Cat & the fiddle with 4 pics cat playing fiddle, cow
    jumping moon, dog that looks like he's laughing & dish &
    spoon),color, cut & glue in sequence on strip of construction
    paper
    *Playdough- sometimes alone, sometimes with scissors, cookie
    cutters
    *Books
    *Puzzles/lacing cards

5. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I sometimes give them block paper and have them practice their ABC's capital and lowercase or their numbers.

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

Sometimes I give them white boards and they write anything they want. No doodling though. I also put out manipulitives and let them explore (things like pattern blocks, calculators, unifix cubes etc.) I keep it simple and I try to have no end to what they are doing so that it can be over when I need it to. Some days I need a bit more time and other days I need them to pack it up quick.

7. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

We do letter practice for our morning work. we have traceable letter pages that we put in sheet protectors for them to use dry erase markers to trace over. it has a few samples and then leaves them room to practice writing their own. we leave them in their mailboxes and they go straight to them every morning. At our school we are "letter of the week" so we change the letters out every friday afternoon to be ready for the next week.

at the end of the year, when we've finished learning all of the letters, there is a page that has the whole alphabet on it for them to practice on.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 24, 2008

I have seen color sheets, cut and paste activites (ones that don't take much explaining), booklets to color trace, this is plenty of time since they have so much to do that its enough time.(restrooms, buy snacks, unpack backpacks, )

9. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

When I taught kindergarten my children sat at tables--I had 6 tables. I would put something different at each table...one would have play dough, another would have puzzles (sometimes a floor puzzle to work on together--they fit on the table), lacing, whiteboards, etc. I would just rotate the tub of activities each morning. It was easy for me and that was their "play time" for the morning. They never got tired or bored of it. I got my stuff done and was able to send them by tables to the restroom before we got started for the day!

10. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

After mine have done their morning routines, they can play with the small manips and puzzles. I usually do not have a problem with them cleaning up and coming to the gathering area for calendar.

11. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

Some mornings we put down butcher paper and let them draw/color/write. They love the big paper and then they cut out their art piece to take home. I love the tub ideas! I'm going to do this with our math manips. I like the lacing activities too! They need all the fine motor skill practice possible!

12. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jul 26, 2008

I do different stuff. Sometimes I'll do worksheets-name tracing, shape tracing at beginning of year, color word sheets towards end, etc. Sometimes I'll let them pick from the 5 minute bucket (letters in abc order, ordering numbers, word puzzles) or regular puzzles. Cutting activites, etc. Whatever I see they may need extra help with until most kids are there. Oh, and we do Breakthrough, a computer program that they are reqired to get on daily, so I have them start that right away so it doesn't take up as much instruction time!

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2008

Tubs of manipulatives, reading boxes at tables, reading from our class library on the rug, "simple" worksheet reviewing a concept that has already been taught. I do journals later in the year when they are more independent. I tend to mix it up. I might do manipulatives for the first few weeks, then do manips just on Monday and Friday, review worksheets a couple of days, reading one day..

14. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Lacing Cards

Saw a way to make lacing cards. Using craft foam sheets, you can cut out alphabet shapes and use the plastic craft thread to lace them. Also, MTV's site has a set of Eric Carle lacing cards that are really cute. Strange location for an educational item, though.

I love the morning ideas!