Morning Work

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teachn2, Aug 19, 2007.

1. teachn2

teachn2 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Does anyone have any good ideas for morning work? I teach second grade, am a new teacher, and am very overwhelmed by the beginning of school. I was thinking about Drops in a Bucket math but am unsure about which level to use to ensure they can do it on their own. Thanks!

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

Last year, in second grade, we did a daily edit nearly every day. In the beginning of the year it was just one sentence, usually a message about our upcoming day, with maybe 5 mistakes in it. By the end of the year I would write 4 sentences with up to 26 mistakes (our record high). The kids took control of correcting it. First in thier morning work book, then once everyone was unpacked I would call one student up to fix a mistake, then they would comtinue with calling on others (boy, girl, boy , girl) At times I would ask them why they were putting in a question mark, or how they knew the correct way to spell a certain word. They loved coming up and writing on the whiteboard, and it was easy for me to write up a quick messy message each morning.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 20, 2007

I do a Morning Message everyday. The message is written on a chart in the form of a letter to the students. The students must then respond to it in letter form in their Morning Message Notebook (composition book). After they turn that in, they pick up their Morning Review. This is a double sided sheet I created using 3 of the Daily Review books. On one side is a Daily Language Arts review and a Daily Word Problem review. On the other side is a Daily Handwriting review. Both parts of the morning work seem to really flow for me, once I teach the kids the procedures.

5. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Aug 20, 2007

MISS W,
    Can you give me an example of your morning message? I like your idea about using 3 different Daily reviews in the morning. I used the DLR only, but I think that three would be better!!

6. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

i love your idea of responding to the morning letter....i teach a 1/2 split and that takes it a step further for the second graders.
    i think i might start that tomorrow.:)

7. teachn2

teachn2 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I love the idea of the morning message notebook. I just picked up several composition books at the back to school price and this is the perfect thing for them. What Daily Review books do you use? You have great ideas!

8. teachn2

teachn2 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I have seen a daily edit on a web site and thought it really looked neat. Now I can't remember what the web site was and now that school has started don't have time to hunt it down again. Where do you get yours?

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 21, 2007

Sure! Remember at the beginning of the year you are teaching procedures, so the messages are short. It is also important to include the date somewhere. So if you don't put it in the message, then put it at the top of the page.
    Here is this mornings' message:
    Dear Class,
    Today is Tuesday, August 21, 2007. Yesterday we discussed why rules are important. In your Morning Message notebooks, give me 2 reasons why rules are important. Remember to put your answer in letter form.
    Sincerely,
    Miss W.

Here is tomorrows' message:
    Dear Happy Helpers,
    Yesterday w discussed our 5 classroom jobs. In your Morning Message notebook, tell me which job you think you will like the most and why. Make sure you put your answer in letter form like we practiced. You can draw a picture at the top of the page to help.
    Your teacher,
    Miss W.

10. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 21, 2007

Having the students write in a journal is a great morning work activity.

11. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Since the kiddos are only in the room for a few minutes, I have them copy the 2 incorrect DLP sentences and when the bell rings at 8:10 we correct them together.

12. teach4u34

teach4u34 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I took the daily math and daily language from Evan Moore and pasted the daily language on top of an 8 1/2 paper and the math at the bottom copied them. We do these every day. It sure helps for Standford 10 testing.

13. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I started using the "morning message" with my 2nd grade class, and they just don't seem to get the writing back part. They always just copy what I have writen down (not all, but most). I've explained it several times, but it just doesn't seem to sink in. How did you get your kids to understand that you wanted a message back to you?

14. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I love the idea of the Evan Moore daily language, daily math. I've done the daily language, but for math I do ADD Arithmetic Developed Daily because it has the component of a daily word problem. These in addition to a handwriting book and I have several types of journals to write in. On Monday we do Weekend News, which is kind of news about what you did at home. On Tuesday we write to the star of the week and put the letters together in book form. It's great for teaching kids the form of a friendly letter and they really love it and are motivated all year. On Friday we write in our school journal. I put prompts on the board but they can write anything that happened at school that week. Sometimes they add things that happened at home. Other than that we do spelling as a whole group, word wall whole group, making words, etc. then we do guided reading groups and centers. That is the morning. Oh, also independent reading. We just learned this week how to do those reading sorts, I think that looks like a great morning activity to add.
    It is taken from Words Their Way. :up: On Wed-Thurs we will do a science/social studies or language arts writing activity integrating what we are learning with writing workshop.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 27, 2007

For the first few weeks you really have to model. Start off simple with a one sentence response and picture. Then start to require more, giving examples. During Morning Meeting (about 2x a week) I will pretend that I am a student and write a response to the Morning Message. I then hang up that example in the room so the students can refer to it. It takes about a month to get the kids really doing what you want them to. You just have to keep teaching and reinforcing, and it's worth it in the end.