Morning work

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Deeena, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

I'm trying to decide what kind of activities I want my students to do when they arrive in the morning. I know some teachers do Daily Oral Language, but I'm trying to think of something besides that.

What will your students do when they arrive in class?

3. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I have my students to a daily writing prompt. I posted it as a powerpoint file a few days back. It has a prompt and a myster state clue. My students copy the prompt and then answer in a complete paragraph. They know if it isn't a paragraph I won't accept it and they need to re-do it!

4. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

At my school we are trying to bring up our math scores, so we must do specific math warm-ups chosen by the school. I wish I had a little bit of flexibility with this, but hopefully it will help improve the scores since that is what matters.

5. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

We have Math review boxes that have all different kinds of skills for the kids to work on. I have also used story starters and other writing prompts. I have it on their desks or on the board. After a few days they get into the routine, then you are able to do the morning housekeeping chores.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

Last year I bought a test-taking strategy overhead kit from Lakeshore. Each transparency had 2-4 problems on it. They put the answers in their Bellwork Book (comp. book)
    This year I am going to give them daily writing prompts.

Try to be consistent about what it is you want them to do, when you want them to do it, and where you want them to do it--that way there is no excuses.
    For example:
    What: Bellwork
    When:every day when you walk in
    Where: in your Bellwork book

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

True. My kids had a problem of the day section of their notebooks. I usually gave math problems, often fractions problems because they are so important. Also word problems, which I did a lot of (to take away the pain!)

8. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Here are 100 Questions of the Day for you to try with your kids, add, subtract, modify any of your choice:

1. You are the creator of a new flavour of bubble gum, what new flavour do you choose?
    2. You are stranded on a deserted island. What items would you need the most?
    3. If you could go back in time and tell yourself something about the future, what would you tell yourself?
    4. If you built a time machine that only went to one time and place in history where would you go in what time? How long would you stay?
    5. What was your favourite Halloween costume of all time? How much loot did you rake in from wearing it?
    6. If you could fill a swimming pool with anything eatable and swim in it, what would you use as ‘water’?
    7. If you were to invent a new event for the Olympics, What would it be?
    8. When choosing vegetables, which is your ultimate yum and your ultimate yuck?
    9. If you were one of Santa’s elves, which toy would you make in the toyshop?
    10. Wooosh! You are suddenly transformed into a penny where does you life of a penny take you?
    11. If you could pause time for exactly 10 minutes, what would you do in those 10 minutes?
    12. New shoe designer… what cool new technology would you invent for our feet?
    13. People are still getting into traffic accidents. How would you protect people and make fewer accidents happen?
    14. Secret handshake… what secret handshake would you invent? Who would you trust your handshake to?
    15. Superman, Spiderman, and Batman have gone into retirement. The world is ready for a new superhero. Who would it be? What are they called? Do they just have super powers or nifty gadgets?
    16. If you could transform into a bird or a fish, which would it be and where would you explore?
    17. Would you like fries with that… McDonalds needs a new toy for their happy meal. What toy would you put in?
    18. The world is in need of a new author—you! What book are you going to release to the public?
    19. We need a new computer mouse what would your new mouse look like? What features would make it unique?
    20. Cell phones are getting smaller and smaller, in 10 years are cell phones going to be around or is there going to be a new technology out to replace them?
    21. The fashion show is in town, you need to showcase an article or pure (Halloween/springtime) design. What is your design?
    22. What do you feel is the greatest invention to benefit mankind?
    23. What wacky or crazy new scent would you create for a candle that is white?
    24. Lucky Charms needs a new mystery marshmallow. What shape and colour would you add to the box?
    25. You walk home from school and find a lamp. When you rub it the genie says you only get one wish not three. What do you wish for? (And you cant wish for more wishes)
    26. You find a $50 bill beside a tree. You look around and nobody is around for miles. You take it, but what do you spend it on?
    27. While playing hide and seek, where was your best hiding spot of all the games you’ve played?
    28. What is your favourite book? Why or what makes it your favourite?
    29. What is your favourite video game? Why or what makes it your favourite?
    30. You are awarded 1st place in the world’s hardest puzzle? What was it about your masterpiece that was so hard to solve?
    31. What is your current pet peeve?
    32. If you had 4 plane tickets to go anywhere for a one week vacation, where would you go? Who would you take?
    33. How would you solve our garbage problem? Include details of you garbage disposal plant.
    34. If you were to make a cd for our prime minister what would you choose for track number 1?
    35. You have a top secret file for the Canadian government. What lock and key do you require to keep it safe? Include what special features the key or lock have?
    36. What cool special features would you put into your watch?
    37. What nifty addition would you add to you backpack?
    38. Should we have a “bring our pet” show and tell day? Why / why not?
    39. If you were to make a new item of clothing for our Canadian athletes to wear for the summer or winter Olympics, what would you make? Would our athletes be willing to wear it?
    40. What do you put on the top of your Christmas tree?
    41. What should we do to stop homelessness?
    42. Describe you favourite photograph?
    43. What cool sport would you add to Gym class?
    44. What car do you want to drive once you get your license?
    45. If you were the owner of your own business, what service would you provide? Would it be small or huge?
    46. If you were to create a machine that mixed 2 animals together to make a new one, what would you animal be like?
    47. If you could go to any city you haven’t been to before for a 3 day mini vacation, where would you vacation spot be?
    48. If you had a pet parrot what would you teach it to say first?
    49. If you owned a zoo what cool animals would be in it?
    50. What would your ultimate slice of pizza have for toppings?
    51. If you were a pirate where would you bury your treasure?
    52. Kool-aid has asked you for a secret flavour for their clear kool-aid campaign… what flavour and what is it called?
    53. What is the one time when you tried to do something and just couldn’t do it? What were you trying to do?
    54. What is one thing the world needs more of? What is one thing the world needs less of?
    55. What is your favourite ghost story? Where did you first hear it?
    56. How many pieces did the last puzzle you completed have? What was the picture of and where did you finish it? How long did it take?
    57. What would you want to be if you had to live in a castle? What job or chores would you have to do?
    58. If you won a bedroom remodeling contest worth $20,000 what would you new bedroom contain?
    59. If your school had a school band, what instrument would you play?
    60. If you were the head of a fundraising committee, what cause would you be raising funds for?
    61. If you had to make a new ride for an amusement park, what would it be? Would it be for little tots, kids, adults, or everyone?
    62. If you had a spaceship, where would you visit?
    63. What was the best field trip you had? What made it fun?
    64. What is your favourite recess game?
    65. What is your favourite summer camp song or cheer? How many times did you say/sing it?
    66. What is you favourite game to play in the summer?
    67. What game do you play in the car on those long trips to visit family on the holidays?
    68. When you go fishing/skating, where do you fish/skate? And with whom?
    69. What is you favourite movie of all time?
    70. You are a new architect, brand new on the market. What stellar building makes you famous?
    71. What machine would you make to fix the ozone hole over Antarctica?
    72. What was the best drawing you drew? Describe it and how long did it take to complete?
    73. What would you put into a tree house if you won the “ultimate tree house” contest?
    74. What secret room would you create in your house/apartment?
    75. Look under your desk. What do you see? Look closely, can you see any hidden images in the scuff marks from your shoes?
    76. There is a secret passage under your desk. When someone pushes your secret button, the passage opens. Where does it lead?
    77. If you could only eat one fruit for the rest of your life, what fruit would it be?
    78. If your favourite movie star, musician, or superhero came to your birthday party, what gift would they bring for you?
    79. If a soccer team were to create a uniform that made them invisible, should they be allowed to play?
    80. If you had a backyard that was big enough to fit a swimming pool with wave pool and slides, a go-kart track, or a roller coaster, which one would you put in? Why would you choose the one you picked? Who would you invite to your backyard?
    81. If you could create a magic potion to fix one problem in your life, what would your potion fix?
    82. The ultimate stereo system… describe a picture of the best ever ultimate stereo system that you’d like to have. What all does your system have in it?
    83. What can you sneak up on without making it move? How close can you get?
    84. A wacky new haircut…is it time for a trim, style, mousse, gel, tint, bleach, colour, shave, spike, or perm? If nobody would laugh at your new hairstyle how wacky would you go?
    85. Do you think there are more chickens or people roaming the earth?
    86. At the swimming pool do you cannonball, penguin dive, flip, belly flop, or do the Buddha? Which is your favourite splash?
    87. Disaster in the kitchen, what did you try to make in the kitchen that went horribly wrong.
    88. My prize collection…what do you have a collection of? When did it start? Where is it? Is it growing? Complete and finally finished?
    89. What is you best card trick? Who was fooled and who knows your secret?
    90. What is your favourite computer background on your computer at home or friend’s house?
    91. What is your favourite song of all time? What about it makes it your favourite?
    92. What is your favourite food around the campfire?
    93. What is your own or your family’s keychain of? Why did you / your family choose it?
    94. Have you ever seen a _______ wearing a _______ down by the bay… what is your favourite line from “down by the bay”?
    95. Where was the furthest you’ve traveled to visit someone? Who did you visit?
    96. For your next sleepover, you want to make a really cool snack. What is it and what ingredients to you require?
    97. What do you love about school? What about the tests and projects?
    98. If you could add something to your classroom, what would you add?
    99. What is you best study technique for a test? Is it the same for all subjects?
    100. What was something that you didn’t give up on? How hard was it?

when I first wrote them I was a university student thinking about becomming a teacher, now I want to rewrite them for higher blooms taxonomy thinking skills (basically synthesis, and evaluation).

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

Wow, thanks, h2omane--you just virtually eliminated the planning time for my independent writing centre!:2up:

10. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Your welcome (as always) MRS.C (BTW I'm teaching in London Ontario in a Catholic School with uniforms, wireless laptop computer labs, and from what I've been told "the best premier staff money can buy" for my 17 week 5th grade internship. 17 weeks of all the first year teaching responsibility, and no paycheque :woot:)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

Ahhh...but all of that experience is "priceless", right? Good luck with your internship. You have tremendous ideas; those kids (uniforms, laptops and all) are very lucky to have you!

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

That you so much H2Omane! That is wonderful. Last year I did a quote of the day. The kids had to write the quote, tell me what it meant, and use an example. I loved it because of all the interesting things they wrote. I found out so much about my students and their home life and the social struggles they were going through.

I think this year I am going to alternate between the quotes and now the Question of the day:)

13. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 9, 2007

Thank you for the list! I will add in to my list of 50. Now all I need is 30 more and I will have one for each day of the week!:D

14. snickers

snickers Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Sue35,

Where did you find your quotes of the day?

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 12, 2007

16. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

Thanks for sharing Sue!

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

I love the quote of the day idea. I think I may have to add that to my morning work.

Right now, I plan to have them do a math problem that relates to the number of days we've been in school. They have to turn the number into a fraction, reduced fraction, decimal, factors of the numbers, and percent. We will do this for the first 100 days of shcool. So, for day 4 it will look like this:

a)Fraction form:4/100
    b)Factors: 4= 2x2, 100=2x2x5x5
    c)decimal form=.04
    d)percent form=4%
    e)reduced fraction form=1/25

They will do this in the math jouranl notebook. What's great about doing morning work this way is that there is no extra work for me. I don't have to come up with problems each day. Also, there's no need to run off tons of worksheets. I found some great morning work onthe inernet, but I didn't like the idea of having to run off so many copies each day.

18. JillianCleary

JillianCleary Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

We did "Magic Squares" or "Four Squares" all the teachers called it something different. It looked like a four square box and in each box was something different for the students to complete. For example in box 1 would be a review of a math skill, box 2 would be spelling words or fixing a sentence, box 3 would be science or social studies and box 4 would be something to write in their journals... either a question like the ones posted above or a tell us about your weekend type of thing. Every box pertained to something they already learned.... sometimes one box would be a Something New Box and they would have to try to figure it out. (a new type of math problem or something)

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2007

Ohhh, I like that idea, JillianCleary. It will work perfectly for my Resource students.

20. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

Peachy, my kids did a similar math warm up last year that told them the percent of the year that they had completed. They had to write the fraction, reduce it, turn it into a decimal, and the turn it into a percent. So on day four they would write:
    1. 4/180
    2. 1/45
    3. 1/45= .02
    4. On day four, only 2% of the school year has gone by!

By the way, my kids couldn't do this on their own for at least a month. I went through it step by step by step. But...after a month they started getting better at it and started seeing the pattern. They enjoyed getting closer and closer to completing 100% of the school year---graduation time!!!!

I think I might make the warm up longer this year. I like how you are going to have them find prime factors. That will help when they start learning exponents. Thanks Peachy!!!!

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

Hmmmm... I wonder if I should have them do this out of 180 instead? I think I will try that instead.

How long is your warm up time? Right now, Mine is about 15 minutes. What do you think? Should I make it longer?

22. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Our morning warm-up includes a district-wide science warm-up to get scores up and a calendar math warm-up. I throw in Math4Today also. The students do this from the moment they get in and put their stuff up to about 5 minutes after announcements (our Principal likes to hear himself talk A LOT!!!) so they have plenty of time to finish. To make sure they do the work, I occassionaly take it up as a completion grade.
    I like the idea of the daily writing prompts. I'll definitely be using that this year.

23. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

In one of these threads I posted a Powerpoint with Writing Prompts and Mystery State Clues. 180 prompts, good for the whole year. I'll come back and post the link later, I'm feeling to lazy to do that right now...plus I *should* be getting ready for a district wide training....

24. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 13, 2007

Having it out of 180 was made the math more meaningful, BUT also much harder. They had a hard time turning the reduced fraction into a decimal. I let them do the math warm up for 4-5 minutes on their own and then we go over each step together very slowly. Total time was about 10 minutes.
    The problem is that I wanted to do a daily math warm based on what we are learning that week. But unfortunately, most of my kids don't know the basic fraction stuff that they were taught in fourth. I guess I could have them do a math warm up as their bellwork but I really wanted to do journal prompts for the morning bellwork. So many decisions to make!!:woot: :woot: :woot:

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2007

Our kids come in anywhere between 7:45 and 8:00, and then we start math class about 8:02. There isn't time to really do anything major for those fifteen minutes, so I have them do five varied DOL type things. But as soon as we start math, we warm up with Calendar Math and/or three difficult review problems that involve critical thinking. I really don't care much for Calendar Math, but I'm required to teach it a few days a week. I think it's way too repetitious for strong 5th grade math students.