Morning work

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bri120, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Bri120

Bri120 Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

I wanted to get some ideas for morning work. What I've seen used is math packets, free choice, morning meeting...

What types of, if any, morning work do you use?

3. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I've heard "Drops in a Bucket" work well. I've got the workbook, and I'm going to try it this year. It seems to be good for review.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2010

When they come in the door each person has to unpack and then they have a station at their table. I rotate the stations around the room one for each table. For example one table might be writing numbers, one table writing their name, one table playing Top It (basically it is war with cards) and one table might be doing pattern blocks. Then each day I rotate them. They don't spend very long doing them it is just enough time to let me check notes, do the attendance, and get the jobs done for circle time. Then they move to the floor for calendar and circle time.

5. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

I have "Noisy Reading" where the parents/grandparents/nannies can stay and read for 10 minutes or so with their child. It's a nice way to get the parents involved in the classroom and the kids love having this special time with their loved ones :wub:

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

I like to have something that is the same each day and can be done without assistance. Mornings are crazy and having those initial 10 minutes run smoothly is key. In kindergarten you could have book boxes out for them to do picture walks or a journal where they can either draw or write.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

I am alone for 30 minutes while children come in the mornings. My aide has breakfast duty. I need something that everyone can do without my help while I am chatting with wandering parents, reading notes, making note of bus changes, etc. I also want something that if a child is in the room for 30 minutes or 2 minutes it doesn't matter. So, we play in the mornings. Nothing needs "finished" or run off and passed out. If they missed it this morning, no big deal. It is also the ONLY time aside from recess my children get to play!