Morning work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by amyd, Jul 8, 2010.

1. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

I teach 2nd grade and am trying to get some ideas for what I'm going to use for morning work this year. This is my 2nd year teaching and my morning routine was not very good last year so I'm looking for something to improve this for this coming year. At the end of the year I started doing review worksheets, but I really didn't like that cause it was a lot of paper to make all the copies.

So I'm just wondering what are some of things you have students do when they enter into the room.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

I tried so many things ranging from worksheets to centers to free choice to journals, but a few years ago I started having them do silent reading using their just right book bags...HEAVEN!!!!

My routine is this:
    enter the classroom, put communication folder in the bin, order lunch, put belongings in the lockers and begin silent reading.

I usually do attendance, check folders and then get the day started within 1o minutes. It's the perfect start as they always know what to do, it's good for them, I have nothing to correct and they are all silently in their seat during a time of day that can be very chaotic.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

I got the math Drops in a Bucket from Frog Publications. It reviews a variety of math skills daily.

The children enter the room, put their name stick in the cup, their take home folder in a turn in box, hang up their backpacks and start their work.
    I do attendance, check the folders and start checking their morning work. It takes about 20 minutes to do all this....

5. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 8, 2010

My morning work procedures are still a work in progress. Here is what I plan to do this year.

I am going to cut spiral notebooks in half to make a small "Daily Language" notebook. Each morning they will have a Daily Oral Language prompt. As the year goes on they will have up to 5 to do per day. Their is a book (I believe by scholastic) called Daily Oral Language 2nd Grade. It has ideas for every day of the year.

Example:Monday
    Fix the sentence.
    1. my brother has a red bik

Circle the adjectives
    2. Blue house sparkles dog

There are usually 4 or 5.

Hope this helps or at least gives you an idea.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

I acutally started the year with the Daily Language Review. I put Daily Language Review on the top of a page and put the Daily Math review on the bottom... but they seemed to get hard fast, so I switched to Drops in A Bucket.

7. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 8, 2010

I did the Evan Moor DOL/DOM as well. We used it all year. There were concepts that came up that we hadn't covered but we did those together and later on in the year, it would be a little familiar. I liked this format and will do it again this year (just with 1st grade).

8. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

I'm with IHeartRecess - silent reading is the perfect way to start the day. No one needs my help, everyone knows what to do, and it helps start the day in a calm, consistent way. The DLR/DOL/Daily Math required too much of my help, and I would always have several kids not do their best. I save that for after lunch or during a transition time.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2010

In the past, I have done morning work, similar to the drops in bucket programs (combination math & ela). I have also had word searches or math puzzles waiting on their desks in the morning. This year, while I might start out that way, I want to quickly get to daily journal writing - independent journal writing. The workshop I just attended called their journal their Treasure Book, and they should write independently in it at least 15 min/day. We have 35 minutes during which the kids are arriving in class (after breakfast), putting their things up, announcements are being made, and I am taking care of "school business" (attendance, collecting monies, etc.). Most of my students did great last year with morning work - as long as they had something waiting on them - even if it was "write your spelling words 5 times each," all but 2 seemed to enjoy it. Those two, well, they were another story altogether, lol....

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

How do you give the students books at the beginning of the year. Before you know their true reading levels? Or do you just give them a bunch of books that they can just look at on their desks?

11. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

My students have their copybook on their desk and a paragraph on the overhead when they enter the room. They turn in their homework and copy the paragraph. The paragraph is usually about something we are studying in history; something that I want them to know about but don't necessarily want to spend a great deal of time on in our actual lesson. They have 10 minutes, then we switch to tile teasers in anticipation of our math lesson. It gives us about 15 minutes of focused, quiet work time to get the day started and gives me time to deal with all the normal morning reports, tallies, etc. that need to be done.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 8, 2010

Poppy, this is a little off-topic, so sorry... but i'm curious about your copywork. When I was in England, I saw a big focus on that, but I don't see it as much here. What is your reason for doing copywork?

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

I use Daily Language. The kids enter the classroom, put away belongings, do their lunch count, hand in their take home folders, and get to work on the page that is displayed on the screen. They do the work in their Writing Journals and we go over it together after I have taken care of morning housekeeping items. It is a good review for them. I use Daily Math after lunch and they do it in their Math Journals. It's consistent and provides a good review (or preview) of skills.

14. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

When I had older kids, I always did spelling as Bell Work, but now that I will have 2nd graders, I like the idea of reading time. I may mix it up all little with color by number puzzles, word searches, etc. on a couple of days.

15. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Thanks for all the ideas! I really like the reading because it's no prep time from me and something they can do without any help.

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

My students have a lot of energy and enthusiasm in the morning so I give them a packet with a combination of fun coloring pages, math and language review, and a cut and paste project.
    I tell them to get started right away and do the work that they understand. Later in the morning I go over directions for the work, and they go back to it at different times of the day when they have time to work on it. They never got tired of this routine all year long! They would be so excited to go to my chair first thing and get their morning work packet.

17. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

Ideas for morning work for kindergarten? I would like to start off with work cycles... but would like something a lil quieter where they need my assistance a lil less... Especially in the beginning with all the transitions.

18. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

Students need to practice looking at a source material, transcribing to paper, looking back at the source material without losing their place, and transcribing again. It is a skill they will use for the remainder of their schooling. It is also a good way for us to practice proofreading and handwriting skills.

The content of the copywork is equally important to me. As I said earlier, the content is something that I want them to know, but don't necessarily want to spend a great deal of time with. For example, during our history lessons on the pioneers, our main focus is the Donner Party and the copywork is about the Bartleson-Bidwell Party. It gives the students an opportunity to hear another pioneer story and gives us some comparison information to discuss. I will often pose a question that can be answered from that morning's copywork in relation to what our main lesson is.

I also refer back to the copywork when we are discussing writing. The structures and vocabulary are often more advanced than what they would write on their own, so it gives us an opportunity to discuss word choice and style. I quite often find that the new structures in the copywork begin to appear in their writing, which is great.

19. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

I usually do journals. I put a topic on the board and after they come in and put their stuff away, they sit and write down in their journals. I've also done "Fix-it Fridays"; basically I give them their worksheets from the week back and they have to fix any problems that they got wrong. If they don't have any, they can use Play-Doh.