Morning work is driving me nuts...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 27, 2008

...and it's only day four!! I can't keep this up all year, and need a system for morning work. I've been picking and choosing things off the 'net, and I'm already tired of it.

Can someone share their ideas for 5th grade morning work? I teach Language Arts, and I have 20 mins to "fill" before attendance.

3. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

I do Daily Language Review by Evan Moore. It is a great skills review and can include mini lessons on things the kids do not remember.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

I am second grade and I also am doing daily language review this year, and daily math practice at the start of math!

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 27, 2008

6. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

I started something this week that so far, my kiddos seem to love! I am writing good morning on the board in another language--for example, we did Japanese today. I have my globes out, and students (2 at a time) go to the globe, find the country within 2 minutes. They then go back to their seat, where they write the word or phrase and the country. They also have to write where the country is located on the globe--above or below the equator, predict the climate of the country, predict the landform of the country, and tell me what they know about the country (if anything). They must use complete sentences. This morning, I had them write a narrative, with the setting in Japan. Now, I've only done it this week, but my kids are loving it. They are getting right to work, writing the information and the story. But I have a bunch who love to write. If yours aren't writers, this may not work for you. Plus, we have a special first thing in the morning, so they don't have very long to do this, which works out well.
    I just googled "Good Morning in different languages" and a huge list came up. Later, we will take these little seeds, and turn them into a research project.

Until this, I was using Daily Language Review as morning work, along with Daily Math Review. I just got tired of feeling like some kids weren't getting anything from it.

8. Danigirl

Danigirl Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

Last year my students wrote in their morning journal every morning. I would have prompts on the board such as, "If you could have any super power what would it be." Sometimes I would let them free-write or give them a math problem solving question. I didn't grade their journals, but I would check them for completion and it was their ticket out to morning recess. They would love sharing out loud what they wrote too, which helped them become a little more comfortable with public speaking.

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

MsMaggs do you find those too easy for fifth? I was going to use these but thought that they might be too easy for them so I didn't know. I thought I read they were for third grade.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2008

I have fifteen minutes to fill, but I also have students straggling into class during those fifteen minutes before the tardy bell rings. I can't put work on the board for them to do because some kids always scoot in just before the bell.

I finally gave up trying to do something organized, and now it's just make-up work, fixing problems that were done wrong, quick computer games, independent reading for those who can get buried in a book, getting ready for the day.

11. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Aug 28, 2008

I was going to agree with the Daily Language Review by Evan Moor. I taught 5th grade and used it last year and had a blast with it! All the kids worked on it, and then when we went over it as a class, I had so many participating. It was great!

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 28, 2008

same here

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2008

I have done journaling and Daily Language Review. If you have 20 minutes to fill I would go with journaling. I always put up two prompts. The kids got to choose the one they liked best, but if they finished before it was time to start classs they could always work on the other one. My 6th graders did Daily Language Review last year and it never took more than 5-10 minutes for them to finish.

14. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Aug 28, 2008

I have my kids complete a Daily Language Review and a state daily. Since I'm in Ohio, it is Ohio Daily. The state dailies are published by Gallopade International. Here's the site (they have it for NC): http://www.gallopade.com/ I really like them for my fourth graders, and the kids seem to like doing them, too.

15. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 28, 2008

I use the Evan Moor Daily Language Review and 1 worksheet from the Saxon Math program. On Fridays, I try to do something different...writing prompt, word search, etc.

16. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

I do Daily Language Review as well. We go over it as a class, and I usually don't even grade it. Every once in a while, I will grade it for completion, but not often.

17. lollipop1129

lollipop1129 Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

I have been doing an activity I call "Critical Thinking Cafe". The kids really seem to enjoy it. It is really cool to see what they come up with too. This morning I asked what the advantages and disadvantages of having all the money in the world was. They really got into it and I got to see where they were at with their writing skills.

18. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

No, as a whole I think they're great for fifth. They've got a lot of the concepts that are required for state standards like similies, idioms, fractions, state facts, etc. Yes, there are some easy parts, but I think that okay, they're meant to get their brains going by thinking about things they already know. I really like the ones that have the logic problems though, because they get the kids thinking in a way that they don't normally think.

19. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

For one of my LTS jobs I had a different type of morning work based on the day (two days of journaling, one day of word work, two days of DOL). I am trying to do something similar with my new class this year, but don't have all the logistics figured out. Some mornings we will only have 10 minutes (during which time we will have school-wide morning announcements) before my kids go to specials. I want to do the Daily Language Review, would love to do the math as well (but don't currently have the book), plus do one day of journaling (that's all their teacher did last year, so I think they're a little burned out). I was also thinking of doing plexers on Friday for something different, but I'm not sure if my kids will be able to do them. I'm liking the activity cards that MsMaggs shared.

So, I'll be reading to see what other suggestions people have.

20. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

We do Daily Oral Language. We discuss it...sometimes students make the corrections on the board to the sentences that I put up. I do occasionally give a test on a lesson we've gone over. The book also has multiple choice tests that come with it. I do give those...but usually put two together to make 20 questions. For some reason the tests are difficult...so I teach them how to look for the errors to elliminate answers.

21. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

Can you post a more specific link? I don't see what you suggested...

22. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

My principal told us that this year, there is no money for Daily Oral Language workbooks. I will have to find alternatives, or make up my own for bellwork.

23. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion