Morning Work in the First Week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2005

What kind of "morning activity" (morning work) do you do in the first week of school? I am having the kids complete an interest survey on the first day, yet I am wondering about the rest of the week because they aren't starting their language practice/Word of the Day study/History Person of the Week until the following Monday.

I am thinking brain teasers, yet I want to vary the activities for those 30 minutes where kids stagger in and out.

3. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 6, 2005

Last year in my fourth grade classroom, I gave review math problems (addtion and subtraction) as well as simple multiplication. I've also done art projects that only take five minutes of instruction. Word searches, puzzles, or I've even had my students do buddy reading with books in my classroom. I let them pick the books and their partners at this point and have a variety of levels just in case some students need something a little lower.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2005

I never did anything with partners during morning work, yet I'll see what I can make possible this next week. I think the brain teasers will be beneficial, too...

5. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Have them go on a buddy hunt. Give them a piece of paper that has questions all over it and they have to find someone in the room that it applies to and have them sign that square. For example, Someone who has red hair; someone who has a pet fish; someone who has a tv in their room; someone whose favorite subject is science; etc. They have to fill up the page before first period. This will keep them busy while giving them a little more information about their new classmates. You can make as many squares as you have children or whatever you want

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2005

We do that on the first day... it's neat! :) Yet we do that later on in the day when everyone's around. We have a lot of students who go to breakfast!

I remembered what I did last year... on the second day, I had the students write about travel destinations, and they can choose a book from the reading table to look at afterwards. I also have a brain teaser for them this year.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2005

I love that brain teaser site.

What else is out there so I am aware? :)

9. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

Do they have any brainteaser sites for the younger ones? I am teaching 2nd grade this year