Morning Work Folders

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by mstnteacherlady, May 5, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 5, 2009

I am moving to fourth for next year and have been doing some major planning for next year already since I'm changing grade levels. I was planning to do Morning Work folders for my kids and go ahead and put all of the MW for the week in the folders on Fridays. Do any of you do MW this way (using folders)? I'm wondering how well it works. I want students to be able to have access to the work whenever they need it (esp if it's not finished), and this is what I have come up with.

If you do MW this way, would you let me know how it works, please? Thanks! :)

3. PalmettoTeacher

PalmettoTeacher Rookie

May 6, 2009

What are you planning on doing for their morning work?

4. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 6, 2009

Sounds like an okay idea - Okay, before I can help more - I have a few questions - What are they doing for their morning work, are you going to take it all up on Friday to grade over the weekend?

5. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

May 12, 2009

I pass out all of my morning work for the week on Monday. They keep in in their warm up folder since that is what I use my morning work for. We go over it after I give them enough time to complete it. It is mainly just to get their brain going, never for a grade. For my morning work I do Daily Oral Language, Math for Today and Daily Geography. The Daily Geography is the one I take up on Thursdays and give them a grade for Social Studies. It works great and I love having them on task as soon as they come into my class.

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 13, 2009

This is similar to what I was planning to do. When they pick up their folder on Monday morning it will already have all the warm-ups for the week. This will save me from having to pass it out / save them from having to pick it up every day...hopefully resulting in a little extra time to go over it. It will also force me to prepare it all ahead of time and be thinking of the things I want to review the next week.

btw, It is official now. I got a letter asking me to sign my contract for the fourth grade position next year during my planning today. :) Yeah!

7. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jun 10, 2009

I actually do Math 4 Today and Write 4 Today. I put all of it in folders for 9 weeks at a time. The M4T and W4T are copied back to back (they have M-T on them). We go over them daily and on Friday they have an assessment for each that I pass out on Fridays. I love how it works!

8. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 2, 2009

In the morning my students copy their daily planner, which tells them what we will do for the day, then they begin on a vocabulary or spelling assignment. They have a "Lexicon" book for daily vocabulary which involves looking up the word in dictionary, doing math with the page number, syllables, parts of speech, etc. These books are premade and bound with the plastic binder at school. I would never get it together enough to have these folders every Monday ready for each student - I'm impressed with those of you that Can!!!

9. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

I teach fifth grade. My morning work consists of daily language review, daily math review, and daily handwriting. They work on it in the mornings and during free work time. It becomes homework if they have not completed it by Thursday afternoon. We play a game on Fridays where my questions come from their morning work.

I like the fact that you put a folder together for 9 weeks. I think I might implement that. I have just always had it out for them to get on Monday mornings.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I will have two things during morning work.

Glue-it-and-do-it- Students will have to glue a math word problem I provide into their composition books, and they will have to complete the problem, writing an explanation of how they came to their answer with words, numbers, AND pictures.

Additionally, they will have individual reading time and be able to write in their reading response journals if they need to.