Morning Work/Bellwork/Seatwork

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mariah, Aug 18, 2007.

1. mariah

mariah Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Instead of having to make a bunch of copies for morning bellwork, I am hoping to come up with ideas of things my students could do in a daily bellwork journal/notebook.

I teach first grade, so it can't be too direction intensive, especially here at the beginning of the year because it is something I want them to be able to come in and get started pretty much on their own.

Any ideas for different things they could do in a bellwork journal?

3. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I use "math 8-block" I teach 2nd grade, but this could work for 1st too. You can use either the overhead or the board and make 8 blocks of space - 2 columns, 4 rows. Then in each block you write a math problem. I use mainly problems that they know and can do easily, and then just a couple of them will be a new concept they have just learned. It's a great way to review math concepts throughout the year. The students come in and get a blank piece of copy paper. They fold thier paper to make the 8 blocks (one long "hot dog" fold and three "hamburger" folds) and begin on the problems. You can either collect them, or what I did is have them put away their pencils and take out a crayon to "correct" their own work and I would go over each problem with the whole class. Even if they aren't done, they can follow allong and finish their work with crayon. This also makes it easy for you to scan around the room and see who is doing well, who needs more help, or who is not doing their work. Hope this helps!

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

I student taught in first grade last year. My teacher had them do play dough the first three days. Then she had them do number of the day equations, we called them "Incredible Equations". She picked two sticks each day to have two students share their equations.

She also had them do coloring sheets with directions on cutting/doing things with color words to start off.

After about a month she had them do these little math worksheets. I don't think they were that great, but they did try them. What about Math Minutes? Virginia Dowd has a great book of morning questions that are perfect for first grade!http://www.phonicsdance.com/products.htm