Morning Time

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luvMN, Jul 25, 2012.

1. luvMN

luvMN New Member

Jul 25, 2012

Can you give me a "great" something that your students do in the a.m while we're waiting for everyone to arrive, eat breakfast etc....
    Kids are coming and going. Can't do anything required. It lasts 20 minutes before taking lunch and attendance. I teach 2nd grade.

I've tried morning work, games, read a morning message-do a task, toys, etc... I want it to be laid back, quiet, meaningful, and easy to manage so I can talk/help/ kids and their parents.

I'd love to hear some new ideas.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2012

I have experimented with a variety of activities, as well. I agree that it should be meaningful, and not just "busy work."

As students arrive, there is a math minute on their desks: http://www.amazon.com/2nd-Grade-Mat...43259744&sr=8-1&keywords=math+minutes+grade+2

Don't let the title fool you, though. I do not time the students. The "minutes" contain a variety of math problems (fractions, graphs, addition, subtraction, money, story problems, etc.). They are challenging enough, but not too difficult that students cannot complete them independently (or with the help of a classmate).

When they are finished with their math minutes, they grab their book bins and read quietly at their desks. They also have the opportunity to quietly shop for books. After about 15-20 minutes, we go through the math minutes together. It only takes about 5 minutes, and it is a great time to review math skills.

I had a difficult class last year, and they did awesome with this routine. They were on-task, engaged, independent, and very quiet. Every once and a while, like right before a holiday or a long weekend, I would have a crossword, or some sort of brain teaser, instead of math minutes. They liked the surprise of something different.

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 25, 2012

I just got that math minute book at the e d of last year. I was thinking of doing it right after lunch before we start math. But I didn't think about it for bell work... Good idea!

5. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I've always done some sort of entry task--usually spelling practice or short writing prompts, etc.--but this year I'm trying something new: music. I made a powerpoint with the lyrics to our classroom songs (new ones to be added throughout the year). I'm going to run the slideshow of lyrics for the 20-25 minutes it takes to get everyone in the room and settled. Once students unpack, choose lunch cards, etc., they will come to the rug to sing along to the music. Then we'll sing our every day morning song together and start our morning meeting.

6. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 25, 2012

How creative =) And what a great way to reinforce reading skills.

After taking an intermediate independent reading training, I think I'm going to just do independent reading in the mornings. This will also give me an opportunity to hold at least 1-2 independent reading conferences every morning.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2012

I have my entire class do "Read to Self" when they first come in. It works great!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

My kids come in and do the math minutes from the same book as driving pigeon recommended. When they finish they can either read silently or practice with flash cards (math facts, sight words, etc).

We go over the math minute every day later in the day :)

9. luvMN

luvMN New Member

Jul 26, 2012

Thank you for the ideas. I've tried most of these except the music!
    I may go back to a MM and book shopping and reading.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

I have experimented a lot with different morning routines as well, but what works best for me is to have them write in response to a prompt on the board and then do Daily Language. I have kids coming in for 15 minutes before the Tardy Bell rings and I am expected to be in the hall (with my door closed) monitoring the hallway. Fortunately, there's a window on my door and I can keep looking in on them every few minutes. When the tardy bell rings I come in the room and check their folders from home, do the lunch count and attendance, and any other housekeeping items I need to do. At 8:10 (which means some of them have had 25 minutes, some have had 15 or so) I begin going over the Morning work with the class. If they haven't finished, they write down the answers as we go over them. If they have, they get to "grade" their work with a pen and make any needed changes. Then I let some of them share their writing. I do check their writing to make sure they did it- I give them a sticker if they did- because even the kids who had 15 minutes should've been able to write SOMETHING. Kids who finish early may study Spelling words or read silently. I love the routine and the kids have done very well with it.

11. luvMN

luvMN New Member

Jul 26, 2012

Thanks! Maybe I'll do a week of math minutes /silent reading and a week of writing/daily oral Lang/ silent reading!!