Morning routines

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I'm working on my list of routines for my first grade class (I'm a new teacher). Here's what I'd like to have them do in the morning. Is it too much? Am I missing anything?

- Empty bookbag and put it in their cubby
    - Sign up for lunch (I will have magnets with their name/picture and they will move it under a picture of what they want for lunch. This will also serve as attendance)
    - Put their homework in the homework bin and folders in their desk
    - Put notes for me in a bin (near attendance table)
    - Use the bathroom
    - Start morning work (not sure if I will do this? Read independently never seems to work)

Also, I will be doing morning meetings. Should the kids be reading the message when they come in? Obviously most will not be readers.

Thanks for your input!

3. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I just made a poster of my morning routine a few days ago. I was comparing my list to yours. It's the same except that I also have:

Sharpen 2 pencils;
    Turn in lunch money;
    Fill out planner (you may not have this in 1st)

For morning work - my daughter just finished 1st grade, and they did morning work each day. On Mondays, they wrote their spelling words on the dry-erase boards 3 times each. On the other mornings, they did DOL. The teacher wrote one to two simple sentences on the board. She included about five mistakes (spelling errors, capitalization, punctuation, etc.). The students had to write the sentences correctly on their papers. She did tell me that she always included at least two of their spelling words in DOL to said if they would catch them spelled incorrectly.