Morning routines- reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsHoot, Aug 9, 2012.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

I've decided to have students start reading when they come in in the morning. I think it will be a relaxing, easy way to start the day. My only question is this- those of you who do this, do you have students read the books that are already in their book boxes? Or do you set out tubs of different booms-I suppose I could creat holiday book tubs or different genre tubs. I have first graders, so they won't typically be reading chapter book that they can just keep in their desks.

Thoughts?

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

I think either way could work. I did this with my 6th graders last year and I really think it is the best way to start a day. Almost all of them brought their own book in to read, but they could always borrow a book or magazine from me if they wanted.

4. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

When I taught kinder I would sometimes have books out for them to read instead of or after they finished their morning journal warm ups. I had book baskets that were separate from their book bags because it was easier and it gave them more of a variety of books that they would be exposed to and could choose from throughout the day. If they get to switch out their books in their book boxes often it probably would not make a difference. Being in first grade this year I haven't decided if I want to continue the same way or not.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

I have a ledge under my white board that I put books out. I put books I have read aloud and books related to our science and social studies themes. Students read together on the carpet while I deal with the morning craziness. It's a magical time.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2012

This is what we did last year, I might try to change it up this year. But my students were in 4th grade so they just read their chapter books. For the younger ones it might be cute to mix it up with different themes.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

I think it would depend. Where do students keep their book boxes? If the book boxes are in their desk or really near their desk, I might just have them pick one of their books.

However, if you store their book boxes near your guided reading area, you may want to set out different books for them to read during this time.

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 10, 2012

My kids use the books in their book boxes. They need to have two levelled books and two books of their own choice/interest in their book boxes. I use ths Daily 5 techniques to teach the kids the routines and they work amazingly well!! :)

The kids walk in, get their book boxes, find a place to read and then read for 15 minutes, while I check messages, listen to them reading etc.

9. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

I love the idea of changing the books based on themes or holidays. You could also do it on subjects or concepts being taught in social studies or science. The common core focuses a lot more on nonfiction books! I know kids of all ages enjoy looking at nonfiction books!

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 10, 2012

The funny thing is, I didn't even teach mine this procedure! I just kept books on the ledge, and then one morning a few of them started reading together and it took off from there. I am going to teach this year's group to do the same.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 10, 2012

I like giving them separate book boxes, they get a chance to look at different books than they might normally choose. Another easy thing I do is to rotate the books between the tables every few days so they always have fresh books to look at without having to change out the entire set. Occasionally they will ask to read a book from their book bag and I always let them, but these bags are always at their tables anyway, if they weren't I probably wouldn't.