morning routine

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teachingforgod4, Sep 25, 2008.

1. teachingforgod4

teachingforgod4 Rookie

Sep 25, 2008

Teachers, what is your morning routine? Do you give warm ups or do you just jump into the days lesson?

3. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

my kids have a math facts worksheet every day and write spelling words two times on Tues, Wed and Thurs

4. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Sep 26, 2008

I use the Evan Moor Daily Llanguage Review. It is a half page sheet of grammar/lang. skills review and on the back they do spelling practice then read. I need about 15 min. to do business (attendance, lunch count, etc.) and try to check some homework folders.

5. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Sep 27, 2008

I do the Daily Lang Review too but have a review worksheet (whatever we've been working on) for the early finishers, then they read a phonics supplemental story from our reading series if they finish it all super quick. I take about 20 min for it all.

6. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 28, 2008

i also do some kind of skills review each morning while I take attendance, and collect lunch money

7. Bobbimarie

Bobbimarie New Member

Oct 4, 2008

Morning work

One of my co-workers discovered a reproducible Minute Math workbook for second grade. It is a daily, full sheet, of math problems that cover the basics (coins, time, mini word problems, etc.) The skills spiral and match well with the skills/TEKs we're working on. So my kids start on the front and once they finish that they turn it over and use the back to do the boardwork I have posted. We're blessed to have an aide who comes in to help with guided reading. Since my time slot is early morning, the kids are kept busy working on their math sheet while the aide and I pull two different reading groups to work with. Since the sheet is not for a grade the kids are allowed to buddy work and move around the room to use the hundreds chart, pick up the estimation jar, etc. Fast finishers are allowed to read or work on a file folder game at their desk.
    Last year, when I didn't have a morning reading aide, I had the kids do a shorter ADD2 math sheet to get their minds warmed up while I did attendance, lunch count, etc.
    Either way, the kids are eased into the day and it gives the kids who are late due to bus problems or the long breakfast line in the cafeteria, a chance to get to class and settled in before the full-fledge lessons start.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Oct 4, 2008

I have a prompt for them to write in their journal and a sentence to correct. It comes right out of our reading series.

9. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Oct 4, 2008

My students complete a standardized test-prep language arts warm up. They answer a selected response question about phonics, multiple meaning words, or spelling, then write a sentence explaining why their answer is correct. When we correct these in class, we discuss the clue words in the question and/or why wrong choices were included as distractors. I tell them that tests may try to trick them, but they're too smart to fall for those tricks! Sometimes I give them a Daily Oral Language sentence to proofread and correct. All of this is completed in about 20 minutes while I take attendance, do lunch count, and wait for the late busses to straggle in.

10. storyh

storyh Companion

Oct 9, 2008

We do math journal (daily word problem that students have to solve and explain how they got their answer), Journal, handwriting practice, and 20-30 minutes of Accelerated Reading time.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2008

My students respond to a journal prompt I write on the board daily. Then they get right to work on their Language Arts centers while I call small groups to the group table. I try to get to each group twice a week....I have 4 groups. Sometimes, I randomly call certain students to come work with me in a group mixing the ability levels to have children working cooperatively while I guide them. There are always students eager to read in small groups of their own in our library area. I allow both homogenous and heterogeneous groups to read together.

12. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

They have a morning work (math review) paper they do every morning, which is short (10 minutes). Students arrive at 7:50 and aren't tardy until 8:00. At about 8:05, we start our morning routine, which moves us right into morning meeting, question of the day, calendar, etc.

I would love to implement some of the morning work centers I've read about on here, but my students just aren't ready for that yet...

13. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

Our students begin the day by working on a math skills review sheet. It includes three written questions and two mental math problems. Afterward, it's on to calendar and the rest of our day.