Morning Message

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by luv2teach1st, Jul 1, 2009.

1. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I was thinking about doing a morning message this year. I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of things do you put in your morning message?

3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 2, 2009

At the beginning of the year I make the message very repetitive each day. For example, I might do something like this:

"9/3/09
    Good Morning 1st Graders!
    Today is Monday. We will go on a number hunt (or tell something to get them excited about the day's events).
    Love,
    Mrs. So-and-so"

As the year progresses, you can add stuff like a daily or weekly graphing question (my kids love coming up the board and marking their answer). Or ask a question at the end of the message that you can talk about (e.g. What did you do during your Spring Break?; Who can tell me three things we learned about caterpillars yesterday?). You can ask kids to point out different grammar features of your message ("Who can highlight all the punctuation marks?") or correct misspellings or other grammar errors (that you purposefully add).

Have fun with it! The purpose of the message is to get the kids excited about the upcoming school day and get them thinking.

Hope that helps!

4. Smalls

Smalls Rookie

Jul 4, 2009

Here is a sample of what I write:

Good morning boys and girls. Today is Monday, July 6th 2009. We have music/phys.ed/etc. at ___________.

Then I might include some facts or ask questions that relate to material we covered the previous day. The students also like it when I purposely make mistakes and they fix my mistakes. I also might include a sentences with their word wall words for review.

then I end with I hope you have a fantastic day.
    From,

5. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

These are all great ideas. Thanks! I just received a projector in my room, and I was thinking of typing up a template so I will only have to change a few words or sentences. I am adding it to my summer to-do list.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

Please look up something called "The Buzz Book". It is how some teachers use Morning Message in a more interactive way. Instead of just writing (shared or teacher led) the morning message with the kids, you can use it to reinforce concepts, ask questions, take surveys, graph answers etc. I love it and even used the concept myself @ the beginning of the year. Google it or I will try to find the link.

7. Youngteacher226

Jul 6, 2009

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Thanks youngteacher! I have always struggled with that interactive part of my morning message. Responsive Classroom suggests questions where kiddos add their own answers to the bottom. The Buzz Book looks great!

If it is a question or response they are capable of writing on their own, when you do have them do this?

9. Youngteacher226

Jul 6, 2009

I have had them respond as they transition from shared writing in whole group into preparing for Reading Workshop. So I would always end my morning meeting with the question, then have kids answer as they walk to prepare for reading. It didn't take long at all.

10. elysiansmiles

elysiansmiles Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I used the Morning Message in my Kindergarten last year, and we used it for tons of things. Since they are still learning so much about reading, it was always very patterned so that even the kids who had difficulty reading knew instinctively what it was going to say. In the beginning I just let them watch - they picked up on directionality, the difference between a word and a letter, so many concepts of print. I used it as a way to tell them what was going on in the day. It usually read "Good morning boys and girls! Today is Monday July 6, 2009. Our special will be music. Today we will... Have a marvelous Monday, Your Teacher." We also played a lot of morning message games. If we were learning a new sight word I would be sure to include it, and give a prize to the person who found it. When we learned letters we went on letter hunts in the morning message, or they would have to find me 3 words that start with /m/. Also, they just picked up on so much - some of my kindergartners were making brilliant attempts at letter writing by the end of the year, just because of the morning message!
    Hope it works out for you!

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Do you go back and talk about their responses at all? The way the morning message was introduced to us years ago with responsive classroom, going over the letter and the responses is part of morning meeting. Which means the kiddos would have to respond BEFORE the letter is read. (which meant I had to read the question to almost all of them for a couple months if not longer while I was trying to do lunch count/attendance/etc.)

12. Youngteacher226

Jul 6, 2009

You know what, there were times when it was necessary to go over the questions and the responses, but that I did after everyone returned to the rug for reading workshop. So I basically used the interactive part for a transition tool and then we quickly went over the responses right before the minilesson and that was that.

But, what I also been doing for the last couple of years is something called "The Question of the Day" or "The Question of the Week". This is something I incorporated into my arrival time and Calendar Time. It involves literacy & math which I like the most. The way it works is I put a graph pocket chart on the Calendar wall right next to the door. Either every day or every Monday, I put a "question" in the pocket chart and as the children entered, they answered the question using an index card to fill in the graph. For example, the question might be "Which science unit did you enjoy the best?". The choices would be either: Energy, Air & Weather, Plants or Balancing/Weighing. The students' responsibility is to read the question and answer it on their own and then carry on with the daily arrival procedures. Later in the year I changed it. I gave two students classroom jobs, "Class Reader" and "Class Writer". The "Class Writer's" job was to write the question of the day on the sentence strip & the choices. The "Class Reader's" job was to call tables up to the chart & read the question to the students while the other students carried on with normal morning activities. Either way worked fine.
    I like this procedure because it gives more responsibility to the students AND by Calendar time, the Class Reader would read the question again, read the responses and even ask a graph question to go along with it. For example, "How many more people chose Plants than Weather?" And they would pick a student to answer the question, so this worked better for my classroom dynamics than the Buzz Book. I think the Buzz Book is great for Kinder & 1st graders.
    Although I have seen the "Question of the Day" procedure done with younger students on chart paper as a way to allow students to "sign in" as they enter by answering the question.

Hope this helps.:)

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the link and the book name...I'll have to check them out :)

14. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I love how it is student centered!!

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

What an awesome site. I can't believe how much helpful information I found there! Thank you so much. I will definitely bookmark this and use it often.