Morning Meeting

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by beachteach, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I keep hearing about Morning Meetings and I want to learn more. I teach 2nd grade and I think it would be something fun for the kids. If you do a morning meeting what is is like? Do the kids like it? How long does it take? Could you give me an example? Thanks for your help!!
    Jen

3. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I'm curious too. Does it incorporate or include calendar time? Do you do it every day?

4. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Ditto. Inquiring minds wanna know!!

5. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

The best way to learn is to attend a Responsive Classroom workshop. If you cannot get to one, buy The Morning Meeting Book. I have taught 2nd, 3rd, and 5th and I have morning meeting everyday. We also have impromptu class meetings as needed. I find morning meeting to a valuable teaching tool!

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2007

There are a few different Morning Meeting books out there, that are actually titled the same. Can you tell me the actual author of the one you are referring to?? Or provide the Amazon link so we could all take a look????:)

7. Youngteacher226

Jun 19, 2007

I do Morning Meeting in my 2nd grade class and I wouldn't run my class without it! We first do calendar (Calendar Question of the Day), time (What Time Is It Mr. Fox Game), money (the Daily Deposit where we add 1 cent for each day we are in school starting with the first day and on to the last day & add it up every day), patterns, daily schedule, place value pocket chart (adding a straw for each day we are in school), weather graph, writing number sentences to make the date (ex. June 19- would be 23-6=19, or 19x1=19, or one dime + one nickel + 4 pennies = 19 cents etc). Then after calendar math time, we do our Peace Circle. During Peace Circle, we gather in a circle, learn different greetings, discuss conflict resolution strategies, re-enact them, & have share time by allowing diff. kids to share things with us that may be bothering them or to settle a dispute w/ a classmate etc. I LOVE my morning meeting time!!! It has helped my kids in soooooo many ways!! Not only with math skills but with conflicts in the classroom & just learning how to be better people. Our MM lasts about 45 min. along with morning bell work etc.
    I can't remember anything else that we incorporate in our MM but if I think of other things I have tried, I will share.:)

8. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

WOW!

That is something! I would love to do that. I already do calendar each day with my class but it feels rushed. I just don't know if I can fit in 45 minutes each day.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 19, 2007

This what we usually do. It takes 15-20 minutes.
    Greeting
    Sharing
    News and Announcements for the day
    Calendar

I'd like to try to incorporate a shared reading this year during this time. And I really like Peace Circle!

10. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I do a morning meeting that is similar to, but not as long as, youngteacher's. I used tribes in a basic way last year, but I have just been reading up on them more and tribes encourages doing a community circle each morning. I plan on doing a community circle every morning this coming year, too. The benefits outweigh the time issue, IMO. Check out the Tribes book for more info! :)

11. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Miss Kirby's schedule for morning meeting looks just like mine. I never have time for more than 20 minutes. Here is the website with the great books. I also have rules in school and the first six weeks of school that outlines great community building activities.

http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/bookstore/index.html

12. Youngteacher226

Jun 19, 2007

Oh, that is what I forgot!! We do shared reading everyday as well. We have The Poem of the Week and I write it out on chart paper and we read the poem together everyday in different ways. We do "whisper reading"of the poem, reading it in diff. voices of characters, tag-team reading etc. They then put the poem in their poetry notebooks, respond to the poem and draw an illustration.

That is why I blocked out a whole 45 min. for morning meeting because I wanted to incorporate all of this. Especially shared reading and shared writing, interactive writing etc. So I may alternate shared writing w/ interactive writing throughout the week. You will be suprised how much your kids will benefit from doing these literacy activities and math activities daily!!! Like I said before, I would not run my class without it.
    Keep in mind that I didn't start off the year doing ALL of this. I added on activities as the year went by and by the end of the year we did all of this. You will want to start off with a few activities that may last 15-20 minutes. Then add on.

13. Youngteacher226

Jun 19, 2007

And please remember that morning work is included in the 45 minutes.

14. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jun 19, 2007

When you have the kids share, what kinds of things are they sharing? Also, how do you choose who gets to share and who doesn't?

15. Youngteacher226

Jun 19, 2007

At the beginning of the year when we didn't do Peace Circle, the kids we able to share anything they wanted. For example, some kids shared exciting news, some shared events that happened in their lives, special places they went, movies they saw over the weekend etc. It broke the ice and it got the children making connections with each other and finding things that they had in common. Then some mornings I would have everyone share something and the kids would "turn & talk" to each other right on the rug. I gave them like 2 minutes share time.
    As the year went on, we did conflict resolution and would share suggestions or comments about a dispute w/ a friend or a sibling etc. The kids also shared thoughts about things that was bothering them at home or at school & I would have the other kids give that child advice/suggestions on dealing with it. Most of the time, the kids do all the talking. I just facilitate.

16. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Do you put this in your schedule you turn into admin? I don't think mine would go for it.

17. Youngteacher226

Jun 19, 2007

Why wouldn't your administration go for extra math time & literacy time in your schedule?????
    Yes, I do put this in my schedule and as a matter of fact, my administrator actually sat in during one of my morning meetings. And loved it!!! She even did the time game with my kids. So I can't understand why any administrator would disapprove of enrichment time for your students in any way. My school is a balanced-literacy school, we are all about literacy, so she is very aware that part of your day must be dedicated to literacy activities like shared reading, shared writing, interactive writing etc.

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 19, 2007

When you put it in your plans be sure to add standards! It meets a TON of standards.

19. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 19, 2007

I taught at a charter school that did not allow morning meetings. We started the day with 90 minutes of D.I. Language Arts. The whole school preK-8, was on the same schedule. Let me tell you, those kids NEEDED a Peace Circle:eek:

I am sooo looking forward to doing morning mtg. this year. My grade level partner says she doesn't have enough time, but I'm hoping I can convince her to try it:angel:

20. Youngteacher226

Jun 19, 2007

You are right about that!! That's why it would be crazy for any administrator to disapprove of it!! It's language arts, math, social studies all in one!!

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 19, 2007

Every once in a while, I have a fourth grade version of morning meeting that incorporates writing strategies and sharing journals.

My best friend who teaches kindergarten has a grammar/fill in the blank question, calendar, weather, lunch picks, a song, and a read-aloud, I believe.

22. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

In my school division we have so many minutes per subject we have to teach each day. We have NO extra time at all. I think thinking I can pull some math minutes for calendar, LA minutes for a read aloud, and maybe some SS time too.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 19, 2007

We have the set minutes as well... but... your idea of pulling minutes is fine. Maybe make it just a Monday or Friday event if you're concerned.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 19, 2007

The morning meeting I did while doing practicum included calendar (date, days of the week), # of days at school, weather report, Secret message and then doing math by using their names. I picked 2 helpers from the helper jar and the first one came up and put the # on the calendar. The numbers were on shapes which went in a pattern, so they had to tell me which shape came next as well. (i.e. one month the #s were on diamonds, squares and circles, so they had to tell me which came next). Then they told the class what day of the week it was today, yesturday and tomorrow. Then we counted the number of days of school that we'd had. We kept track by putting beads on pipecleaners in patterns, in sets of 10s. So we counted by 10s every morning and also wrote the number on the timeline. Then the second helper came up and checked the weather and recorded on a monthly graph. Then the helper read the graph for the class and summarized the weather in the month that far (i.e. We have had more sunny days than cloudy days this month). Then both helpers wrote their names on the board and put the corresponding # of magnets under their name. (i.e. if there were 5 letters in their name they put 5 magnets under their name). Then they sat down with their classmates. They told me what letter their name started with and another word that started with that letter. Then we made both sides equal. So if there were 5 magnets under one name and 3 under the other, I would say
    XXX has 5 letters, how many do I need to take away to make 3" and do that for both names. We ended with a morning message which informed the students what would be happening that day. I left letters out of words and the students would tell me the word and which letters were missing. Then they would come up and write the letters in the correct spaces. This all took about 20 minutes once we got it down pat. Wow! Sorry this is so lengthy!! But it really was a valuable time!

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 19, 2007

First Grade
    Morning Message Time: 45min.

Students put up their things, use the restroom/get water and sign the attendance book. Students who finish early meet at the morning meeting circle area and use that time to get their chatters out. Then we draw popcicle sticks to see who goes first to read. They take turns reading the sentences and identifying if it calls for an action, an answer or it's just telling something. (We don't ask them to formally identify as much as we are just waiting to see if they can figure it out and respond accordingly). There is typically the following:

*Greeting (ex: Hi Students, How are you?)
    *Questions about their night, weekend, feelings, etc.
    *Requests for certain people to do their jobs (then they come and present about them). We can spend several sentences on this. Calendar, date and class pet is always a given. Later we add weather updates.
    *Discussion about what we are doing today (or predictions, forshadowing, etc)
    *We close with a fix it sentence at the bottom. A sentence is written with x number of mistakes. We read the sentence as it should be. Students find the mistake and edit it.

Occasionally we make errors in the body the message and see if they will catch it. We might ask them to identify words in words within the body of the paragraph or answer questions such as "how many questions do you see?" Sometimes we will do fluency excercises while we are reading, etc.

Then we break up for centers.

26. Youngteacher226

Jun 19, 2007

I understand some of you all concerns about not having enough time in your day to do MM but I think some activities can be done quickly and move on with your day. Maybe you have to choose which activities are most important and fit them in somewhere. My school does require 45min-60min of Reading Workshop, 45min-60min of Writing Workshop and 45min. total of math daily. So I count 15min. of my MM time as math and use 30min. in the afternoon for math as well which will equal 45 min. So although this time seems lengthy, it is still hitting all requirements at the same time. But keep in mind that without a "Peace Circle" or share time, MM can be 15-20 minutes of your day. Or some teachers even do a sort of MM at the end of the day before dismissal. I just happen to like mine first thing in the morning. Young 2nd grade minds are nice and fresh.;) :D

27. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2007

Thanks for sharing. It's so helpful to read about different ways of doing things -- even though each teacher has his or her own style, there is always something to learn from others!

Here's what I'm thinking:
    I get my students in the afternoon after they've had a long morning with a different teacher. I also only have three hours a day to cover a full curriculum, so I have to make every part count.
    This is my rough plan so far:
    >Start with something to ease the transition from lunch break: I'm thinking some "brain gym" type exercises or stretches done with a cheer or song of some sort.
    >Calendar: I don't know yet what they're up to -- If they don't know the days/months yet, I'd start with a song about that, then do today's date. Put the date card on the calendar, then write it out formally on top of a chart paper for:
    >News/Sharing: Discuss the day. Any birthday/holiday, what's going on in the world, personal events (missing teeth, new siblings, etc), if something significant happened in the morning.
    >Weather: Write in news and fill in on chart.
    >(Debating whether to do a "daily deposit" thing)
    >Specials: Monday-- choose monitor, Tuesday -- Star of the week presentation time (I'm thinking like show-and-tell?), Wed/Thu-?, Friday-- choose next star of the week.

Now how do I transition into regular class mode from this circle-type meeting?
    Does my order make sense? I'm thinking now maybe it would be better to do Specials earlier, then do something more academic, such as weather chart? I am so clueless...

28. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for posting your daily routines. I am still thinking about meeting the Morning Meeting book. I hope that a morning meeting will fit into my schedule. I might float the idea and see what the admin say. If they don't seem to be on board then I just won't put it in my schedule.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

I worked at a school that was Responsive Classroom School Wide. Everyday the whole school started with a morning meeting. 8:25 to 8:50. No students were allowed to be pulled from class until after the morning meeting.
    PM me if you want more info.

30. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 20, 2007

For all of you with tight schedules, TRY, TRY, TRY to squeeze at least 10-15 minutes of morning mtg. in. I mentioned before I couldn't do it when I had D.I. in the am. The school I am teaching at this fall does not have it scheduled in, but I am going to MAKE TIME. Actually, I am going to shorten their morning work time to include MM.

Even if you don't go into the in depth calendar (when I was a 2nd grade intern, the calendar alone took 20 min!), a quick "problem of the day" and "sentence of the day" definitely counts as instructional time!

To me, the most important part of MM is setting the tone for the day. You can find out a lot about the children's moods, how their night/morning went, if there was any trouble before school...You can also set YOUR expectations for the the day, very helpful with visitors, field trips, and other special events.

31. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 20, 2007

Yes! It is the perfect time to discuss any changes that may be happening on that day and prepare the students for what to expect. (and what YOU expect from them!)

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

Youngteacher, your morning plan sounds absolutely wonderful. I agree that it is sooo important. The daily repetition is invaluable for the kids, and the consistency of your sharing and problem solving in a positive way must have made all the difference in the world for their social skills - and peace of mind. Good for you for making it work.

Starting the day right is so important. I wouldn't be without calendar math and morning meeting, no matter what grade.

33. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

Morning Meeting sounds like a wonderful idea! Was just going to ask if anyone incorporates it into the upper grades and how they do it?

34. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

I'm a first year teacher, and I'm so glad I clicked on this thread! I have never observed a morning meeting before, but after reading your positive comments, I'm on my way to Barnes & Noble right now to pick up a copy of The Morning Meeting Book. The benefits absolutely seem to outweigh the time constraints. Thanks!! :love:

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

I did calendar math and a short morning meeting with 5th. It took about 20 minutes, after morning work which was done in homeroom, and the pledge and songs, etc. It set a great tone for the day.

36. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 20, 2007

Upsadaisy, what sort of things did you do with the fifth graders. I have never heard of morning meeting either, but I really think it would be a great beginning to the day--especially since most of my students don't come from the best environments. Also, our math book has a calendar activity for each day that I never really knew how to fit in; MM would be perfect timing. I think the greetings each morning would definitely help develop much needed social skills for my students (behaviorally/emotionally disturbed).

Do you sit on the floor? How do you encourage students to participate?

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

Last year, I wanted the Calendar Math kit, even though we don't use Everyday Math. School ordered it but not until November. So, I set up my own calendar math which included the following:

Mine fill in a hundreds chart for the day of the school year. they write: Today is the ____ day of school. The fraction is _____ (we use the fraction name out of 100 so I can introduce simple percentages). The decimal name is _____. The factors of the fraction numerator are _________. The reduced fraction is _____. There are ____ days left in the school year. Then I give them one figure to identify or a measurement equivalent or something. I used to do the temperature also until somehow the thermometer got lost, the second one broke, and I finally gave up.

All of this is done on one whiteboard. They just have to fill in the blanks. I use a blank hundreds chart to color in.

The helper of the day fills in the chart and everyone writes in their calendar math notebooks. While the helper fills in, I make a running commentary. 'I see Sarah is deciding what the factors of 36 are. She knows 1 and 36. She knows it is even so 2 goes in. 2 x .... 18. How about 3? 3+6 is 9, that's a multiple of 3, so 3 goes in. How many times? ......' and so on.

After calendar math, we go over the morning problem of the day, check that everyone is prepared for the day (materials, turned in hw, etc.), and I introduce the date, day's schedule, upcoming week events, long-term stuff, including assignments. I didn't do much of the sharing aspect, but it would have been beneficial. The previous year, I had a peace club in the classroom on Fridays because the group had lots of issues.

The constant repetition of fractions, decimals, equivalents, factors, terminology, made this class more prepared for middle school than any other 5th grade class I've taught.

38. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 20, 2007

Wow! That sounds really beneficial. I'll have to wait a bit to buy the book, but it definitely sounds like something I'm going to try next year. I think I will do the greeting, sharing, calendar time, and some sort of daily sentence. I was thinking that on Fridays they could have two minutes to read a section of a book they had been working on through the week. What do you think?

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

Sounds great. You mean to share a passage from a book? I'm going to try and have them do that more in reading time. I didn't buy a book on the topic, just got info from the Everyday Math curriculum.

40. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2007

At our school all primary grades do a morning meeting, and aside from the Saxon "math meeting", which has to be included, we are pretty much on our own.
    ...Just a quick note on the "Peace Circle"...I knew one teacher who had a similar meeting time on Friday afternoons with her class (3rd grade)- they talked about what they liked/didn't like about the week and how to make the next week better. I thought that was a great idea, and it only took up 15/20 minutes!

41. Youngteacher226

Jun 20, 2007

Upsadaisy, thanks so much for the kind words!:) I was a first year teacher this year, but I just knew how important morning meeting will be to my kids and I was right! Although, most of my activities that I include in my MM, I got from this forum. I think back last summer, there was a thread on MM and I was just writing away in my notebook that I keep near my computer. I had pages and pages of ideas that I implemented in my classroom this year, thanks to all of you.
    But- I agree that MM sets the tone for the day. Some of my kids never knew how it felt to hug themselves, or knew what it meant to love themselves. Our Peace Circle included a daily reminder that we would say to ourselves:
    "I am a peace builder,
    I pledge to praise people,
    to give up put-downs,
    to seek wise people,
    to notice hurts I have caused,
    and to right wrongs!
    I pledge to build peace
    in my home
    school, and community,
    each day!"
    Just smiling at the person next to us was hard at first but by the end of the year, my kids were so loving to each other. Today was our last day of school and everyone was hugging, shaking hands, saying kind words to each other etc. etc. I was so proud of them.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.